X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Age of Consent

I€™ve noticed in some postings that there is some confusion over the age of consent in Thailand.
    Also recently there have been some changes made to the laws in the forum readers home countries that have effect in Thailand

So with Bumpa STIKKA€™s consent I€™ve started this thread.  

I will state fairly briefly what the laws are for each country and how  -  as I see it  -  they apply to Thailand.
    At the end for the lighter readers and as a quick reference I will show a table with the effective ages for Thailand.

Remember I am not a lawyer and all  laws are subject to interpretation  -  some more loosely than others!
    The favorite legal comment is;  that is a grey area  -  which translates as;  I don€™t know no-one has tried it yet.

Thailand

Prostitution is illegal in Thailand  -  when you take someone from a bar the bar fine is just that
     -  they are fined for not being at their place of work.
    What happens after that is between you and that other person.
    If the police find a falang with a young Thai person you can guarantee that they will assume payment is being made in some way
    and therefore the Thai is prostituting themselves.

The age of consent in Thailand is 15  -  that applies to male or female  -  heterosexual or homosexual relations.
    That is assuming that NO payment has been made.

The age of consent is 18 when any form of payment is made.
    Payment is very loosely defined  -  it does not have to be money it can be gifts, favours anything.
    As the law is written  -  if you let them have a can of soda out of the minibar that is payment
     -  if you let them shower in your hotel room that is a favour.

The age at which a Thai can work in a place of entertainment is 20.  This law applies to the owner not the customers.
    A place of entertainment is a bar or nightclub.
    A restaurant or café is not a place of entertainment and can have younger persons working in it.
    (This law applies to the owner not the customers.  The raids that are publicized in the Thai media usually seem to be
    against bars where there are persons under 18 years of age working, or where there is a connection with drugs.)

USA

The age of consent varies state by state but is either 16, 17 or 18.
    Prostitution is legal in most of the counties of state of Nevada  -  it is illegal within the rest of the USA.
    The PROTECT act 2003 makes it a federal crime to have illicit sexual conduct with a person under 18.
    This; includes any commercial sex act in a foreign country with a person under the age of 18.
    Commercial means where payment is made.

UK     (It gets messy here so I will do it by country.)

England/Wales
    The age of consent is 16 male or female heterosexual or homosexual.
    Despite what many believe prostitution is entirely legal in the UK and always has been but most things connected with it
     -  brothels, pimping etc  -  are illegal.   The minimum age in this case is 18.
    The Sexual Offences Act 2003 [SOA]  means that the above laws can be applied to UK citizens outside the UK.

Scotland
    The age of consent is 16 male or female heterosexual or homosexual.
    The laws relating to prostitution are nearly the same as English law but I cannot find a clearly stated age of consent
     -  I would assume it€™s 18.
    The laws relating to homosexual acts between males are subtly different but do not have any real bearing on Thailand.
    I can find nothing that specifically states that sexual offences committed outside Scotland can be subjected to,
    or prosecuted under Scottish law.
    However the SOA 2003 says British Citizens so that should mean all British citizens.

Northern Ireland
    Until recently the age of consent was 17 for heterosexual sex and 18 for homosexual sex.
    The prostitution laws also had some differences to those of England & Scotland.
    Very recently (Feb 2009) the laws of NI. have been brought into line with those of England and Wales.
    So consent is 16 and prostitution is 18.
    By the same order in council these laws now extend to offences outside NI in the same way as England.

(Hey it€™s not all bad news in the UK  -  orgies are now legal  -  technically they weren€™t illegal before but you could be jailed for having one even in private!        Performing oral sex on an animal is still legal.       )

Australia     (Oz is even more messy than the UK so I€™m going to simplify it considerably.)

Simplified the age of consent is 16 for oral sex & m/f vaginal sex in all states except S.Australia and Tasmania where it is 17.
    Anal sex is allowed in most states at the same ages except Qld. where it is 18.
    I€™m not going to attempt to cover the offshore territories!
    Prostitution is legal and the minimum age is 18.  Most things connected with it are illegal.
    Since 1994 it has been illegal to have sex with someone under 16 outside Australia.

Canada

Age of consent is 16 for oral & m/f vaginal sex in all states.
    Age of consent for anal sex is 18 but Ontario and Quebec have declared this unconstitutional.
    Prostitution is legal and the minimum age is 18.  Most things connected with it are illegal.
    Since 1997 it has been possible to be prosecuted for sexual offences committed outside Canada.

New Zealand

Age of consent is 16 male or female heterosexual or homosexual.  
    Since 1996 it has been possible to be prosecuted for sexual offences committed outside NZ.

Eire

Age of consent is 17 male or female heterosexual or homosexual.
    Since 1996 it has been possible to be prosecuted for sexual offences committed outside Eire.

I have not attempted to cover other countries as it is too complicated and English is the only language in which I€™m competent.
    If anyone has accurate knowledge of other jurisdictions please feel free to post them.
    There is a useful website that gives good  -  but not always up to date information  Interpol

Beware of some of the lists of ages of consent online. Most of them are too simplified and contain mistakes.
    Try looking up the Vatican City as a for instance.

If you have any personal questions you can PM me.  Otherwise I€™ll try to answer in the thread.

As promised a table which lists the ages as they apply in Thailand

Country from       Consent       Paid Sex
    Thailand              15                18
    USA                    18                18
    UK                      16                18
    Aus                     16               18
    Canada                16                18
    NZ                      16                18
    Eire                     17                18

RR.
    Pedants rule, OK. Or more precisely, exhibit certain of the conventional trappings of leadership.

"I love the smell of ladyboy in the morning."
    Kahuna

Great research RR!

Comment

Yes, impressive. Thank you. I am sure this will be useful to many other BMs.

Comment

I didn't see The Philippines on the list and it would be nice to have it added to the list since quite a few BM's have visited it.

Age of Consent there is actually 12 but you can still get in trouble if you're over 18 and have sex with someone under 18 and it gets reported so to play it safe, 18 and over.

Maybe I sound insensitive but its not the case at all. I do care!  But if I had to live my whole life based on how everyone might be sensitive to me.. I would not be living my life as I want it. So you can accept me and my flaws as I am or you can't.

Comment

Read the thread before posting .......    

(Road Runner @ Aug. 07 2010,16:14) I€™ve noticed in some postings that there is some confusion over the age of consent in Thailand.

Beware of some of the lists of ages of consent online. Most of them are too simplified and contain mistakes.
          The Philipines is NOT on it because.........

The age of consent in the Phillipines maybe 12 for a Filipina but for YOU it is 18.
          Get caught having sex with a Filipina under 18 years old and I guarantee you a jail term.
          At the moment they are talking about raising the age of consent there to 16.

RR.
          Pedants rule, OK. Or more precisely, exhibit certain of the conventional trappings of leadership.

Kahuna

Comment

All I can say is better the "age of consent" than the "age of resent"...

Comment

What is this with Canada and Australia in regards to having to be 18 to have anal sex while everything else is OK when you€™re 16?  

What's the logic behind this? Do they figure when you€™re 16 your ass-hole will not be larger enough? ... While at 18 years of age you're now large enough in the butt-hole?

Comment

Logic?  Often the law has little to do with logic  -  political expediency and national prejudice play a large part.

What you must remember is that the legal sytem and the church are closely linked so there always was/will be a prejudice against legalising anal sex.

In England anal sex and sex with animals was  frowned upon by the church and was made illegal in 1533 and described as buggery
                 -  until 1861 the penaly was death.  This was reduced to life imprisonment.

Around the same time they tried to make female/female sex illegal but good old Queen Victoria did not believe that women would do such a thing so never signed that act. So in the UK you could have lesbian sex but not homosexual sex.

Canada used English law until the 1860's when they started to slowly go their own way.

Borrowing from Wikipedia -  consensual homosexual acts between adults are illegal in about 70 out of the 195 countries of the world.

There's a good Wiki page Homosexuality laws of the world which shows how things stand.
                (You can play spot the ex-British colony  -  look down the Homosexual acts legal? column.)

RR.

Kahuna

Comment

Must have something to do with having the QUEEN on our money.

Comment

When be right in Germany is 16...
                    Ladyboy Pro....A Bigger Bang

Comment

Good research but nothing for me to worry about as I'm not interested in anyone more than half my age.
                      I was out last night for a mogatat with a friend and her stunning 19 year old daughter. Mum's a great shag and I'd hate to be let down by the inexperince of her daughter- I'll stick with looking. Even though daughter and niece are up for it ( and mum isn't bothered ) I'd feel a bit uncomfortable with it but that's just me.
                      I couldn't give a shit how long it is until you're next holiday- I live here

Comment

RR - Great summary, but I always forget: can we safely assume that a young lady working in a place of entertainment (20) is legal take-out (18)?
                        Maybe not.

How dependable are their ID's?

Comment

(driftwood @ Aug. 15 2010,15:42) RR - Great summary, but I always forget: can we safely assume that a young lady working in a place of entertainment (20) is legal take-out (18)?
                          Maybe not.

How dependable are their ID's?
                          Don't assume.    

If she looks too young then she very well might be.    

IDs can be faked or more likely borrowed.

Some hotels don't even check the ID for age, perhaps a clerk that does not want confrontation.

Comment

Absolutely completely f**kin' correct!!!!

Please pay attention to what PigDogg said, there are so many under-aged girls on Walking Street & Beach Road right now. And the police aren't bothered unless they can stop a farang with one in tow. Then there's some money to be made. (Guess who pays? YOU!!!!)

I asked a fresh-as-a-daisy, just off the farm LB the other night "how old are you?"

"Twenty" she replied.

"Bullshit" was my worldly response.

She took out her ID. The D.O.B. was 1990 (they are now using our calendar. About time too) but the photo looking back at me was nothing like her.

Then her friend walked up. "How old is she?" I asked the friend.

"Twenty two" she replied.

I guess if I waited for another friend to arrive she will have aged another year...               Life sucks, eh?
                            Despite the high cost of living, it continues to be popular.

Comment

(driftwood @ Aug. 16 2010,00:42) ....can we safely assume that a young lady working in a place of entertainment (20)...
                              If all the employees in a bar are actually 20 the only thing I would assume is that the owner is expecting to be raided by the police!

ID's are frequently lost/borrowed/swapped and even rented for the night.

I've seen one girl in Obsession as she was going out the door borrow the shared ID card off her friend dancing on the stage!
                              I don't doubt if the friend got bar fined she would have borrowed someone else's ID.

All Thai citizens are legally required to have an ID.

If they get stopped by the police and cannot produce one the fine seems to be about 400 Baht.

To get a new one they used to have to travel back to their home province to the Amphoe (district) office.
                              First stop the police station as the loss had to be reported to them - they took a payment of 100 Baht - I think it was an administration charge as they would hand over a paper to give to the Amphoe office.
                              Then it was back to the Amphoe office with the family book - like a birth certificate with the whole family listed in it - hand over the photograps and 300 Baht and you have a new ID.

It's possible to purchase a faked ID in Khao San Road - the one's I have seen in the past were 500 Baht and not very good.
                              I'm sure that better copies can be obtained and probably better prices.

Mostly if the girls lost their ID they would borrow one off a friend or other family member to save the expense/hassle of travelling home.

My Ex lost her ID (again!) just recently. Rather than travelling the 800 km. back to her home town she just went to the Amphoe office at Wattana about 1 km. away.
                              Cost her 75 Baht and they take the pictures with a digital camera for free.

So there is now less incentive to borrow ID's unless of course they are attempting to lie about their age.

Thai girls & ladyboys lie about their age?............

RR.

Kahuna

Comment

Working...
                              X