X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Dry Days In Bangkok

The Governor of Bangkok resigned this afternoon, that means new elections will have to take place at some point (January/February I guess)
    and that means two consecutive dry weekends.

Good news for Pattaya !!?!

Apirak Kosayodhin stepped down on Wednesday after being found guilty of corruption in connection with alleged procurement irregularities of fire trucks and boats.

The Bangkok governor made his intentions clear at a news conference held at the Democrat party€™s head office.

His resignation will be effective Nov 19, the last day of the royal cremation ceremonies for Her Royal Highness Princess Galyani Vadhana.

His resignation was anticipated by the media, after the National Anti-Corruption Commission (NACC) voted unanimously to seek his indictment for his role in alleged irregularities involving the 6.68-billion-baht scheme to buy 315 fire trucks and 30 fire boats from the Austrian firm, Steyr Co.

Mr Apirak, who had suspended his governor€™s role after the indictment, vowed to fight the case in court.

"I have faith in the judiciary system of Thailand, and believe that I'll be treated fairly," he said.

Mr Apirak, who was re-elected as the Bangkok governor on Oct 5 with a landslide victory, said he would return to political arena after his name is cleared.

"I am willing to be scrutinised," he said. "And once the court has completed the examination, I will return."
    "Snick, You Sperm Too Much" - Anon

I surprised that New Years Eve hasnt been singled out for the dry treatment...lets face it , one day it will happen.

Drink and be merry my friends...

And thanks for the tip off... this stuff is much appreciated for us guys who book months ahead...when you get the date stick it on this thread please..

Comment

and that means two consecutive dry weekends.
      Why two? One weekend should be enough for he election process!

Or is it required that all Bangkok citizens have to register if they want to attend the election?

Comment

Has it been proven that a prohibition on sales of alcohol to tourists equates to a much fairer result in these elections

FFS

Comment

(Tomcat @ Nov. 12 2008,14:23) I  surprised that New Years Eve hasnt been singled out for the dry treatment...
          Unfortunately the government is talking about banning the sale of alcohol on holidays! Too many road accidents is the motivation for this. Remains to be seen exactly when and how this is going to play out.

On election days, patpong has been the reliable option in Bangkok, though you will be drinking out of cups that conceal the contents.

Comment

(jadeite @ Nov. 12 2008,16:59) road accidents
            This is an Industry on its own it seems . Im surprised they dont have an annual awards Ceremony

Comment

Another erection
              You Live and You Learn -- Hopefully!

Comment

(jadeite @ Nov. 12 2008,16:59)
                (Tomcat @ Nov. 12 2008,14:23) I  surprised that New Years Eve hasnt been singled out for the dry treatment...
                Unfortunately the government is talking about banning the sale of alcohol on holidays! Too many road accidents is the motivation for this. Remains to be seen exactly when and how this is going to play out.

On election days, patpong has been the reliable option in Bangkok, though you will be drinking out of cups that conceal the contents.
                Keep us posted on this. My xmas- New Years plane ticket is refundable I think if need be. This is what it would come to.

Comment

The plan to make new years eve dry (seriously-there was one) has been shelved. Chalerm was informed that it might be bad for tourism ( D'UH )

Public Health Minister Chalerm Yoobamrung this week announced a proposal to halt any alcohol sales on public and religious holidays, including New Year€™s, Songkran and Loy Krathong.

Comment

What gets me is that if they do ever make the holidays dry the tourists will all get fed up and stop coming to Thailand.

Meanwhile the Thais will completely ignore any ban outside a few large cities and will continue to get drunk and kill themselves on motorbikes.

RR.
                    Pedants rule, OK. Or more precisely, exhibit certain of the conventional trappings of leadership.

"I love the smell of ladyboy in the morning."
                    Kahuna

Comment

That happens right now, the 'regular' bans only affect big clubs and tourist spots. The local bars and hole-in-the-wall spots still serve.

Comment

Mrs Sodsri said the poll is likely to be held before January 11, 2009.
                        If I had to guess it would be the weekend of Jan 10-11th, the weekend before would be too crazy being a few days after New Years...but this being Thailand, you can't rule it out.

See you in Phuket !

ps. Looks like it will be just one weekend, general elections take two weekends.

Comment

well NYE is Wednesday, so could possibly be the weekend 3/4?
                          seriously pig headed,arrogant,double standard smart ass poster!

Comment

I Just read in a local newspaper that it will be the 11th

Comment

Never mind January, November 14-16 are dry days throughout the country. No drinking, no loud music, no parties, no outward signs of enjoyment and please dress in black.

Comment

Working...
                              X