Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Personally I hope inglourios basterds gets the nod - it's a good movie and stands up well under multiple viewing. Chris walz is a Monty for best supporting actor - an amazing role!!

Azza

A worthy trip report

Comment

I'll give you Chris Welz for BSA, but the movie definitely won't win best picture or direction. Welz's a shoe-in (probably my favorite acting performance of 2009) but the film itself was like "Tarrantino light" IMO.

It felt like he had 20 hours worth of backstory, but chose to only film 60 minutes of it and drug that 60 minutes out to 165 minutes. I've never seen a Tarrantino film I didn't like, but this was down there with Reservoir Dogs at the bottom of my list. Still better than 90% of what other directors pump out though.

Just rewatched Boogie Nights and Magnolia on blu-ray before leaving USA. Paul Thomas Anderson is the master.

Um.... what were we talking about?
      Making newbie mistakes since 2009 so you don't have to

Comment

boogie nights rocks - snuff said

Azza

A worthy trip report

Comment

(azza33 @ Feb. 03 2010,04:38) Personally I hope inglourios basterds gets the nod
          Great movie, a classic really.

I thought they shouldn't have had Hitler and Goebbels at the movie finale though..... if it was just a buncha unknown generals and germans then the movie could have *almost* been believable!  I do hope it gets best picture nod, it deserves it.

Never saw Avatar, never will ...... I don't get children's movies.

Never saw Titanic either, never will ...... I don't get chick flicks. And, ummmm...I already know the ending
          Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

Comment

(azza33 @ Jan. 27 2010,10:01)

who gives a shit - still a shite movie - just shows you how gullible people are.  
            Guarantee no acting or directing or script oscars for this one
            Well to quote myself... hmmm is that acceptable

Hurt Locker got all the nods... a fine movie no doubt and i enjoyed it much more than Avatar.

Whilst i enjoyed HL... i think it is not in the same class as most of the movies listed below.

2009 - €œThe Hurt Locker€

2008 - €œSlumdog Millionaire€

2007 - €œNo Country for Old Men€

2006 - €œThe Departed€

2005 - €œCrash€

2004 - €œMillion Dollar Baby€

2003 - €œThe Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King€

2002 - €œChicago€

2001 - €œA Beautiful Mind€

2000 - €œGladiator€

1999 - €œAmerican Beauty€

1998 - €œShakespeare in Love€

1997 - €œTitanic€

1996 - €œThe English Patient€

1995 - €œBraveheart€

1994 - €œForrest Gump€

1993 - €œSchindler€™s List€

1992 - €œUnforgiven€

1991 - €œThe Silence of the Lambs€

1990 - €œDances with Wolves€

1989 - €œDriving Miss Daisy€

1988 - €œRain Man€

1987 - €œThe Last Emperor€

1986 - €œPlatoon€

1985 - €œOut of Africa€

1984 - €œAmadeus€

1983 - €œTerms of Endearment€

1982 - €œGandhi€

1981 - €œChariots of Fire€

1980 - €œOrdinary People€

1979 - €œKramer vs. Kramer€

1978 - €œThe Deer Hunter€

1977 - €œAnnie Hall€

1976 - €œRocky€

1975 - €œOne Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest€

1974 - €œThe Godfather Part II€

1973 - €œThe Sting€

1972 - €œThe Godfather€

1971 - €œThe French Connection€

1970 - €œPatton€

1969 - €œMidnight Cowboy€

Azza

A worthy trip report

Comment

And Sandra Bullock picked up an Oscar and a Razzie, now that's a record that will stand for a LONG time.
              "Snick, You Sperm Too Much" - Anon

Comment

(JaiDee @ Feb. 06 2010,12:11)
                (azza33 @ Feb. 03 2010,04:38) Personally I hope inglourios basterds gets the nod
                Great movie, a classic really.

I thought they shouldn't have had Hitler and Goebbels at the movie finale though..... if it was just a buncha unknown generals and germans then the movie could have *almost* been believable!  I do hope it gets best picture nod, it deserves it.

Never saw Avatar, never will ...... I don't get children's movies.

Never saw Titanic either, never will ...... I don't get chick flicks.  And, ummmm...I already know the ending  
                I didn't mind the inclusion of Hitler and Goebbels at the theater. The movie was a fantasy more or less anyway. The one thing that QT messed up on though IMO, was with his having all the German high command there, Joseph Goebbels, Hermann Goring, Martin Bormann, that he left out Heinrich Himmler. To have included him would have seemed more complete and he certainly was higher up the Nazi hierarchy than Bormann was. Even so, I love this movie. I wish it had been longer with a little more back story, especially regarding the Basterds and their "Apache Resistance" operations against the Nazis.

The only QT directed movie I like any better is Pulp Fiction. If movies he wrote are included, True Romance would also rank ahead of it. I love all his stuff and to really try to rank them in an order isn't really necessary to me.

I don't care what the Oscar voters said with their votes, it was Best Picture for me of 2009.
                “When a nation's young men are conservative, its funeral bell is already rung.”
                ― Henry Ward Beecher

"Inflexibility is the worst human failing. You can learn to check impetuosity, overcome fear with confidence and laziness with discipline. But for rigidity of mind, there is no antidote. It carries the seeds of its own destruction." ~ Anton Myrer

Comment

(Snick @ Mar. 08 2010,13:07) And Sandra Bullock picked up an Oscar and a Razzie, now that's a record that will stand for a LONG time.
                  She was good natured about receiving the Razzie, even though she did not deserve the award and I think at the time she did not know yet she won the Best Actress Oscar for The Blind Side.

She ranks pretty high up the list of 40 something white women I'd like a roll in the hay with.
                  “When a nation's young men are conservative, its funeral bell is already rung.”
                  ― Henry Ward Beecher

"Inflexibility is the worst human failing. You can learn to check impetuosity, overcome fear with confidence and laziness with discipline. But for rigidity of mind, there is no antidote. It carries the seeds of its own destruction." ~ Anton Myrer

Comment

Working...
                  X