X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thailand Monk School to teach LBs maleness

Here's an article from Associated Free Press about a Monk school that seeks to "teach" lbs to be male.

CHIANG KHONG, Thailand (AFP) - The 15-year-old aspiring "ladyboy" delicately applied a puff of talcum powder to his nose -- an act of rebellion at the Thai Buddhist temple where he is learning to "be a man".

"They have rules here that novice monks cannot use powder, make-up, or perfume, cannot run around and be girlish," said Pipop Thanajindawong, who was sent to Wat Kreung Tai Wittaya, in Chiang Khong on the Thai-Laos border, to tame his more feminine traits.

But the monks running the temple's programme to teach masculinity to boys who are "katoeys", the Thai term for transsexuals or ladyboys, have their controversial work cut out.

"Sometimes we give them money to buy snacks but he saved it up to buy mascara," headteacher Phra Pitsanu Witcharato said of Pipop.

Novice monks' days pass as in any other temple -- waking before dawn, collecting alms and studying Buddhism -- but every Friday attention turns to the katoeys at the attached school.

"Were you born as a man or a woman or can you not specify your gender - not man or woman?" asked Phra Pitsanu at a recent assembly. "You cannot be anything else but your true gender, which is a man. As a novice you can only be a man."

'Katoey' is the Thai term for transsexuals or ladyboys
    The temple has a stricter interpretation than others of rules governing behaviour during Buddhist training that is a key childhood experience for many Thai boys.

Pupils are banned from using perfume and make-up and prohibited from singing, playing music and running.

"We cannot change all of them but what we can do is to control their behavior to make them understand that they were born as a man... and cannot act like a woman," said Phra Pitsanu.

The Kreung Tai temple has run the course for boys aged between 11 and 18 since 2008, after former principle Phra Maha Vuthichai Vachiramethi devised the programme because he thought reports of katoeys in the monkhood had "affected the stability of Thai Buddhism".

He told AFP that he hopes the teaching methods will be rolled out to other temple schools to "solve the deviant behavior in novices".

Thailand has one of the largest transsexual populations in the world
    It is an attitude that enrages gay rights and diversity campaigner Natee Teerarojanapong, who said trying to alter the boys' sense of gender and sexuality was "extremely dangerous".

"These kids will become self-hating because they have been taught by respected monks that being gay is bad. That is terrible for them. They will never live happily," he told AFP.

Gay and katoey culture is visible and widely tolerated in Thailand, which has one of the largest transsexual populations in the world, and Natee said the temple's programme is "very out of date".

But Phra Atcha Apiwanno, 28, disputed the idea that society accepted ladyboys and said he joined the monkhood because of social stigma about his sexual identity.

"The reason I became a monk is to train my habits, to control my expression... I didn't want to be like this," he told AFP.

Monks have had limited success in their project -- three of the six ladyboys to have graduated from the school are said to have embraced their masculinity, but the remaining three went on to have sex changes.

Pipop said he has struggled with his sexuality at the temple.

At home in Bangkok he dressed like a girl, putting on make-up and taking hormones until he developed breasts, but he has since stopped the treatment and wears only a surreptitious dab of powder at the temple.

He does not believe he will live up to his family's hopes that he will become more manly.

"I can make them proud even I'm not a man," the teenager said, adding he had given up his ambition to be an airhostess and now aspires to work in a bank.

He thinks he will have a sex change after graduation.

"Once I leave the monkhood the first thing I want to do is to shout, to scream out loud saying: 'I can go back to being the same again!'"
    This is a surprise to me as I didn't think there were such programs in LOS. With the recent win by Pheu Thai it will be interesting to see if this program expands a lot.

Click on the links below and discover how the Forums work
    Membership Levels
    The Rookie Thread
    New to The Ladyboy Forums? Introduce yourself!
    Old Members Must Reset Their Passwords

These fucking stupid monks are a dangerous liability.

They should stick to begging for rice and shopping at Pantip Plaza.
    The Ladyboy Quest... It just goes on and on and on!

Comment

This sounds terrible; kinda like what we have in the West, where certain evangelical sects offer programs to convert gay people back to straight through the power of Jesus. So fucked up.
      "Bankin' off of the northeast wind
      Salin' on a summer breeze
      And skippin' over the ocean, like a stone."
      -Harry Nilsson

Comment

I know a ladyboy who left Obsession for a year to be a monk, to please her family. It hasn't changed her mind, so she's back (recently with boobs as if to confirm that).

Monk School wont influence events much, unless you believe being a ladyboy is a career choice.  But, as many LBs are religious, I agree it will do nothing for their feelings of self-worth to be instructed otherwise.

Saw a documentary on News Asia channel recently.  Included a part on LBs growing old .... lonely ugly and broke.  That would have more of an effect - hope the monks havent got a recording.
        TT

Comment

Big discussion on ThaiVisa about this of course all ways brings out the idiots who just donot understand all thing are not black and white but shades of pink and red. Titty pink and asshole red works for me.

Comment

(rxpharm @ Jul. 17 2011,00:58) The Kreung Tai temple has run the course for boys aged between 11 and 18 since 2008, after former principle Phra Maha Vuthichai Vachiramethi devised the programme because he thought reports of katoeys in the monkhood had "affected the stability of Thai Buddhism".
            So that's what they are doing. Protecting the image of Thai Buddhism from suggestions that katoey monks somehow weaken the entire set-up. As if a little bit of 'gayness' in their midst makes them all look bad.

So much for my idea that Buddhism is an enlightened religion.

But Phra Atcha Apiwanno, 28, disputed the idea that society accepted ladyboys and said he joined the monkhood because of social stigma about his sexual identity.
            I dispute it too. So many Thais are ashamed of them, they would support Thaksin if he tried to have them all 'treated' for this mental illness.

OK, that might be overstating it but I wait with baited breath to see what Thaksin has next in store for our LB friends.
            Despite the high cost of living, it continues to be popular.

Comment

Ladyboys, not as accepted as we like to think, they face a lot of barriers.

Comment

Its a beat up. A magazine seller. Filler.

Its from AFP and and is their regular monthly "Funny Thailand/funny katoey" type feature.
                Of course novices are not allowed wear face paint. Nor are school children.

And boys go to become monks for as short a time as a week to gain good kharma for their mothers, not for themselves. So of course mother wants it too.

Ladyboys in Thailand have never had it so good as far as the general public goes, and if they could lean not to scream like hungry chimps over the last banana  when they are in public they would advance quicker.
                f0xxee

"Spelling - the difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit."

Comment

(pacman @ Jul. 17 2011,13:32) OK, that might be overstating it but I wait with baited breath to see what Thaksin has next in store for our LB friends.

I think you need to go to Thai Visa where it is non-stop moaning 24/7 about Thaksin with that one.

I fail to see why Thaksin would give a rats-ass about something that has been a part of Thai culture forever, especially if he can't bottle, monopolise or sell it.
                  f0xxee

Comment

Two GREAT posts, foxxee.
                    The Ladyboy Quest... It just goes on and on and on!

Comment

Nice to be back.

I haven't been ignoring you, just a matter of waiting for them to turn off the spy programs the US Office has installed on the Company Intranet that blocks and scans websites and records my phone calls on VOIP.

A question for US Citizens... Are you REALLY sure you live in the land of the free?
                      f0xxee

Comment

(f0xxee @ Jul. 17 2011,22:37) Are you REALLY sure you live in the land of the free?
                        I think most educated Americans know the answer to that!
                        I'm really Sexist...

Comment

(f0xxee @ Jul. 17 2011,22:37) A question for US Citizens... Are you REALLY sure you live in the land of the free?  
                          The only idgits who believe that kind of crap are fucking tea-baggers.
                          "Bankin' off of the northeast wind
                          Salin' on a summer breeze
                          And skippin' over the ocean, like a stone."
                          -Harry Nilsson

Comment

In the end only as free as you think you are

Comment

The voices I hear in my head tell me that I am free.
                              TEXASMAC

Comment

Working...
                              X