X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ats mobile

Stogie Is this service still available? If so can i book it for first two weks of march.

Squirly
    Pussy Stinks

Squirly are you coming from the US? I left BKK with a phone card with 500+ baht on it that will likely expire before I can make it back (goddammit). Anyways, if you are, I can mail it to you so you won't have to go through the hassle of getting a SIM card for yourself. Its got some good numbers in it too hehe...
    I'm a rough-ridin', hootin' and hollerin', ladyboy lovin' cowboy! Bang bang yer dead!!!

Comment

The service has been discontinued. Partly because getting a phone and number is so easy and cheap and partly because many people coming here have phones that are easily convertable or usable. Also the phone we had was rather old! Sorry for the inconvenience.

Comment

how does one find out if their phone is useable in thailand? i have Siemens model S66. Anyone familiar with this model or other models which work in Thailand? On a related topic, I thought about buying a high end model in Thailand but did not because it was not clear if it would work in the USA. Anyone have experience with this?
        This is ten percent luck, twenty percent skill
        Fifteen percent concentrated power of will
        Five percent pleasure, fifty percent pain
        And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!
        FORT MINOR-REMEMBER THE NAME

Comment

If you have a tri-band GSM phone (a phone that uses SIM cards) then it will work in Thailand. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that Thai phones operate on a different frequency than those used by US based service providers. A tri-band phone is able to operate on both frequencies (and Europe!). If you read the phone description on the manufacturer's website it should mention this.

For example, the Motorola SLVR lists these specs under the features on its website:
          Bands4 : Quad-band (GSM 850/900/1800/1900)

I'm not sure which specific band Thailand uses, but if you got a tri or quad-band phone you should be fine with it operating in Thailand and the US.
          I'm a rough-ridin', hootin' and hollerin', ladyboy lovin' cowboy! Bang bang yer dead!!!

Comment

Originally posted by (stogie bear @ Feb. 04 2006,07:26)
            Also the phone we had was rather old!
            U got something against old fones?

Comment

"We tested the triband (GSM 850/1800/1900; GPRS) Siemens S66 in "

ok DP thanks for the info.
              So it appears that my phone is a triband. So does that mean when I can just pop out the SIM and obtain a new SIM card and start using it in Thailand? For the recharging, did you just get an adapter or is there another trick? Anyone else want to help an idiot...feel free. :P
              This is ten percent luck, twenty percent skill
              Fifteen percent concentrated power of will
              Five percent pleasure, fifty percent pain
              And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!
              FORT MINOR-REMEMBER THE NAME

Comment

Originally posted by (dummy_plug @ Feb. 04 2006,07:33)
                If you have a tri-band GSM phone (a phone that uses SIM cards) then it will work in Thailand. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that Thai phones operate on a different frequency than those used by US based service providers. A tri-band phone is able to operate on both frequencies (and Europe!). If you read the phone description on the manufacturer's website it should mention this.

For example, the Motorola SLVR lists these specs under the features on its website:
                Bands4 : Quad-band (GSM 850/900/1800/1900)

I'm not sure which specific band Thailand uses, but if you got a tri or quad-band phone you should be fine with it operating in Thailand and the US.
                First be sure your phone is of the GSM type, the kind that uses a SIM card.

USA and Canada use the 1900MHz GSM band.
                Thailand uses the 900MHz & 1800MHz GSM bands.

If you€™re coming from the USA or Canada check your owners manual to see if your phone is compatible with the 900MHz & 1800MHz bands. If you're coming from any other part of the world like Europe, Australia, Asia, etc... Then you should be ok since they use the 900MHz & 1800MHz bands too.

Now about SIM cards. You can use in most cases use your SIM card from your home network, however the charges can be very high because you€™re roaming internationally. Check with your local provider to see what there rates are.

Now what alot of people like to do is to buy a SIM from a Thai provider. This way you can take advantage of the low Thai rates and you will have a local number the girls can call you on. The only thing you have to watch out for is that your local home provider, say Verizon, may have the phone locked to only there SIM card. When you place a SIM from another provider in your phone it will be rejected. This is because your home provider feels that because they sold you the phone you must use their internationally roaming... They don't want you to use a local SIM because then they can't charge you an outrageous rate for Roaming.

If your phone is locked most phone shops in Thailand can unlock the phone so it will become usable on any system. Be warned that having your phone unlocked will void any warranty you may have on your phone. If they don't unlock it properly you may end up with a damaged phone. Something to think about if you have an expensive phone.

In 2003 I had my Ericsson T28w unlocked in Bangkok... the phone then worked great in Thailand however as soon as I got to LAX my phone could no longer find the network. What I later found out was they didn't just unlock my phone... they cloned it! The software now in my phone was a copy of some other phone in Thailand. The serial numbers in software were no longer that of my phone but that of a phone somewhere in Thailand. Plus my phone now lacked the drivers for the 1900MHz band. I took my phone into Ericsson for repair.. They took a quick look at it and told me it was a fake! I told them I had it fixed in Thailand... he then laughed and said "we can not touch a phone that has been altered in this way... sorry".

The other option is to buy a use and cheep phone in Thailand for use there.

Comment

Originally posted by (relpax @ Feb. 04 2006,08:03)
                  I can just pop out the SIM and obtain a new SIM card and start using it in Thailand?  For the recharging, did you just get an adapter or is there another trick?  Anyone else want to help an idiot...feel free. :P  
                  Not if it's SIM locked to your local provider.

As for the charger look on it for what the input voltage is.
                  If is says something like 100 to 250 vac 50/60Hz then you can just plug it right in to any voltage from 100 to 250 volts.

USA is 120 Volts
                  Thailand is 220 Volts

Comment

Originally posted by (Bam @ Feb. 03 2006,21:21)
                    How can you do this? Where can I get one? and How much would it cost??

Inquiring minds want to know  

12 days and I'm in Heaven

Comment

Originally posted by (zeppo @ Feb. 04 2006,09:51)
                      Originally posted by (Bam @ Feb. 03 2006,21:21)
                      How can you do this? Where can I get one? and How much would it cost??

Inquiring minds want to know  

12 days and I'm in Heaven
                      http://www.asian-ts.com/cgi-bin/boar...=ST;f=9;t=3616

Comment

You can get a phone almost anywhere.
                        But in Bangkok the best place is MBK Mall
                        Link
                        The fourth floor is where the mobile phone are, you can get a decent second hand phone for 2000 Baht ($50 US), a SIM car costs 500 Baht and they can be 'topped up at a 7-11 or other places.
                        "Snick, You Sperm Too Much" - Anon

Comment

Originally posted by (dummy_plug @ Feb. 03 2006,21:07)
                          Its got some good numbers in it too hehe...
                          Im sure you could make quite a killing with that sim card DP

Dave...
                          Your got yer Mother in a whirl
                          Shes not sure if your a Boy or a Girl

Comment

Also, for those acquiring a new SIM card don't forget to bring your passport. You are now required to provide some identification, a passport if you're a foreigner, to register your SIM card to.

Comment

Originally posted by (daveduke007 @ Feb. 04 2006,13:03)
                              Originally posted by (dummy_plug @ Feb. 03 2006,21:07)
                              Its got some good numbers in it too hehe...
                              Im sure you could make quite a killing with that sim card  DP

Dave...
                              Do I hear $10?

Comment

Working...
                              X