Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Was The Ladyboy Scene Like 15-20 Years Ago?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Was The Ladyboy Scene Like 15-20 Years Ago?

I'd say most of us here have been mongering in Thailand for 10 years or less.

What was the scene like in the old days?

What's the oldest ladyboy bar?

Great question. I think you are spot on with the ten years or less for the guys here. I hope there is someone out there who can shed some light. It would be an eye opener for those of us who have seen it go to hell in a hand basket in the just the past three years.

Comment

Rolling back the years to 1987 when I found these three post op's in the Marine Disco, Pattaya.

Gonna have to scan a few more of those ole pics one of these days.
      Attached Files

Comment

Wow, Pentire..that's almost history there, and with typical hairstyles of the '80s
        Quality didn't seem that far from what's now.
        Scan away and let's see more
        Do only what you think it's good for you, and not what others think should be good for you!

Comment

Yes Pentire I know I for one would love to see more of the old scene in Thailand.

Nostalgia aint what is used to be

Comment

It would be an eye opener for those of us who have seen it go to hell in a hand basket in the just the past three years...
            I assume that 'hell in a hand basket' is a good thing, because the lb scene today is fantastic compared to what it was in the past.

Comment

(stogie bear @ Nov. 04 2007,12:08)
              It would be an eye opener for those of us who have seen it go to hell in a hand basket in the just the past three years...
              I assume that 'hell in a hand basket' is a good thing, because the lb scene today is fantastic compared to what it was in the past.
              I have to agree. Although many of the bars seem to have gone down hill as far as customer service and attitude, the selection of ladyboy's has never been better since I have been in Thailand.

At the end of the day if we want to drink or play pool or listen to god music we don't go to ladyboy bars. If we want to shag the best looking ladyboys on the planet then we do.

Comment

It may be that there are just as many cute and nice ladyboys that there ever were but they are overwehelmed by the sheer numbers of new-age ladyboys who are not so easy to get along with.

In my short lifespan of (admittedly limited) experience of this scene the range and availability of talent is truly spectacular.

From the Pattaya sluts to the office workers... there's a ladyboy for every man no matter what you want.

Comment

Back in the late eighties/ early ninties many of the ladyboys who worked in the now defunct Simon Cabaret used to hang out in the Pattaya Marine Disco. In those days the entrance was to the left of where it is now and the escalator did not exist. Entry was up a wide staircase and as you emerged into the dark area struggling with your night vision, many hands of ladyboys would reach out to pull you towards them and into their lair
                  Initially it would take any newcomers a while to realise that these ''girls'' were infact ladyboys and I must confess that my first encounter with the babes in the picture was one of total surprise

Comment

maybe this is a sign that the society has lost some of its prejudices and accept LB more....so they are more visible and don't hide in the rural communities......maybe the word is out that a LB is the "hot" item in the P4P business......maybe more "straight" people are experimenting or less hung up on labels and the stigma once associated with dating a LB and therefore more are out in the open and not the dark alleys.....regardless, the talent is overwhelming.
                    ....so,  you're really a guy?..............  

Comment

Since I first landed in Thailand in 1968(not a misprint or typo) I can only say there was no ladyboy scene in those days. There might have been ladyboys but I sure as hell didn' t know about them and they were never mentioned in conversation and there was no scene. Of course there was a Thai nightlife or brothel scene that was vibrant in those days, vestiges of which remain today between what is now Khao San Rd. and Thewet and areas north of the Victory monument. The early farang scene was around Petchaburi Rd and a mini area in what is now Gaysorn. Then Soi Cowboy and slightly later Patpong emerged as areas in the 70's, but still no ladyboys as such. It was really only much later in the 80's when Nana got going that one would notice a ladyboy dancer in a bar. Casanova was the first ladyboy bar for farangs. In those days ladyboys and gg bar girls would like to take you to afterhours shows and it was common for bar girls and ladyboys to buy young Thai boys, just the punters themselves would buy the girls for sex. Ladyboys were not in demand and in 'Thai society it was common for them to buy boys or give themselves free to gang boys. Then something changed, perhaps reflecting societies more tolerant attitude towards gays coming off the late 70's early 80's disco era, which was very gay at its core. One ladyboy bar then another, then another etc. The cabarets have a longer history as tourist attractions but they weren't really pick-up bars. Gradually ladyboys have come from being unwanted, to being accepted, to being desired. In small towns througout issan the beauty contests and semi cabarets still exist and the attitudes have changed slower. But the word is out and now katoeys have more pride and acceptance in society. Ironically, largely due to the internet, nightlife forums etc more information being available and the dramatic increase in male tourists to nightlife areas, certain ladyboys have attained star status, big egos, and fat purses. It is an amusing and surreal phenomena to see this evolution in such a relatively short time.
                      It is easy to go nostalgic for the days of the 100 baht all nighter, but better to think of the present day as just another golden age of a different sort. And you can still go to small towns and see how ist used to be.

Comment

You had me at "three post-ops".
                        Retired the top 12.  Need a new dirty dozen.  

Update: The new list is coming together: Nong Poy, Anita, Nok, Gif, Liisa Winkler, Kay, Nina Poon.  Is it possible to find 5 more?  Until then, GGs:  Jessica Alba, Yuko Ogura, Zhang Ziyi, Maggie Q, and Gong Li.

Comment

(post-op lover @ Nov. 04 2007,01:05) You had me at "three post-ops".      
                          the horror. the horror.

Comment

(thaibound @ Nov. 04 2007,08:59)
                            (post-op lover @ Nov. 04 2007,01:05) You had me at "three post-ops".      
                            the horror. the horror.

An interesting thread Pigdogg. Like the picture Pentire - I'd be interested to see a few more.

Also I wonder what the three girls in the picture look like now?

RR.
                            Pedants rule, OK. Or more precisely, exhibit certain of the conventional trappings of leadership.

"I love the smell of ladyboy in the morning."
                            Kahuna

Comment

(Road Runner @ Nov. 04 2007,11:39) Also I wonder what the three girls in the picture look like now?

RR.
                              A question which crosses my mind every time I take a look at that 80's photo album

Comment

Working...
                              X