Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much does a cell phone cost in Thailand?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much does a cell phone cost in Thailand?

Seems my LB friend wants me to buy her a cell phone. I thought she was just joking, but this is the second year she is complaining hers is now getting so old she can't take decent photos to send to me. Made me realize how really serious Thai people are and how lucky we Westerners are. So how much do cell phones cost in Thailand. Price of an above average but good phone and brand. I don't like to buy cheap because they don't last long or have poor quality workmanship. Hate to throw away bad purchases. Then how much is a super model like the SamSung Galaxy 9 or 9S as we call them in the USA? How much for month data charges plus whatever they charge for? Does every Thai just use WIFI to save money or buy a SIM card for the convenience of being online ALL the time? Does a Thai have to pay full price for a phone before walking out the door or is there a monthly payment plan like in the USA? Finally where should I buy a cell in Bangkok or Pattaya. Where is it cheaper? Same questions for a mid-price laptop. I don't want to leave my friend with a balky piece of computer with constant repair problems like motherboard malfunctions or hard drive that is low memory or short life. Can someone bring an American laptop with an American Microsoft software and work in Thailand. I think so because my laptop works in my hotel WIFI. Can a repairman install a Thai language operating system into an American manufactured laptop? So many complicated booby trap questions. Please answer otherwise forget about buying her a cell phone or laptop.

Many phones may be a little cheaper in the USA than Thailand but you are probably still better off buying her a phone in Thailand.
    Phones have some different frequencies in Thailand and Asia than USA which could cause the phone from USA not to work there or everywhere in the country.
    You may have a harder time getting warranty for a phone in Thailand if it was purchased in the USA. The best way to ensure you have a working phone that can be fixed in Thailand is to buy it there. Apple phones generally can be fixed in any country if under warranty. Probably she has some idea what phone she wants anyway. You still may want to consider used as you can buy many used ones to replace lost or broken one than blowing your money on a shiny new one.
    There is an entire floor at MBK for electronics and half of it is phones and accessories. That is probably your number one location for new and used phones.
    Pantip is probably number 2 as they often have phone promotions on the main floor. Department stores like BigC offer some phone choices usually more budget minded.
    There is also an outdoor cellphone market in Bangkok somewhere not far from Nana by the freeway. Someone took me there once and it was pretty good.

I haven't seen to many ladyboys with monthly phone plans. They all seem to have pay as you go that they top up at 7-11 or family mart.
    That is what i use, i buy the sim card at the airport that is just over 1000 baht it lasts a month if I use wifi as much as possible, wifi is everywhere in thailand.
    Regardless cellphone usage charges in Thailand are dirt cheap compared to USA, especially data.

I have brought a couple laptops to Thailand as gifts and bought a couple laptops in Thailand.
    Laptops break down alot in general so you are better off buying them in Thailand if you want better warranty support, depending on the brand.
    However laptops are significantly cheaper in the USA than Thailand.
    Apple has places to fix stuff under warranty in Bangkok and Best Buy in the USA has extended warranties you can buy that have depots you can get repairs in other countries.
    A couple years ago i bought an Asus laptop for about $500 with just factory 1 year warranty in Canada and took it to Bangkok for my girlfriend. It broke down 3 times but she just took it to the Asus store in Pantip and they fixed it for free 3 times on the factory warranty in a couple days each time. Bangkok is good that way that they actually have dedicated stores for most of the computer manufacturers. This is better service than anywhere but you cannot guarantee this but as i say Bangkok being such a major center has some advantages of having everything.

If your girlfiend is good at english then buying one in the USA is an option, she can get a Thai language pack for windows and a keyboard overlay for thai.
    Still it won't be the same as a fully Thai laptop. If she is not so good at english then it could be reloaded in Pantip with Thai doctored windows and all the software she wants.
    In that case you would be far better off just to buy the laptop in Pantip as she would get a Thai laptop. Then most of those stores give you the option to load the laptop with windows and everything including the kitchen sink for free or nearly free. Then then send you downstairs to the main floor to the software guys who load all the windows and programs for you. This is not very good if she is planning to go to other countries because you usually cannot load any "real" software on these computers.

Another consideration is where she lives. Pantip is a great place but if they do not live in Bangkok it is very hard for them to get there for problems.
    I got a laptop at Pantip for a ladyboy that lived in Pattaya, when she had problems she had a hard time being able to get to Bangkok.
    So you are probably best off to buy a laptop at a place near them. Again places like Big C have reasonably priced laptops and there is other electronic stores such as in Central Festival in Pattaya.

Over all it is probably less hassle for the girl for you to buy it all in Thailand.
    You can save good money buying them in the USA but there may be some problems or retro fitting.

www.ladyboysthai.com

Comment

I can help you George just bought my thai gf a huewei nova 3i just over 10 000baht another 1500 for case and screen saver its half the price of the huewei p20 but after a little research found its a great phone with fast processor(liked for gaming) and their newest operating system !! The problem in Thailand with cell phones is they are almost 90% copies never buy from those kiosks and be careful with even the cell phone provider shops especially samsung and apple, go on youtube to learn how to spot copies as its just rampant there !! Huewei are now the number 3 most sold phones in the world if they were allowed in the U.S. they'd be maybe number 2 behind apple, the chinese reputation for making shit is starting to change in the technology world and in the cell phone world you won't last long making garbage!!! If your buying a Samsung galaxy 9 or 9s buy it unlocked in the U.S. i wouldn't trust buying it in Thailand

Comment

Yes, I have considered buying a cell phone in Thailand. If I bring an American car into Thailand I know their warranty will get laughed at. Mo beddah buy Thai for a Thai in Thailand. Should bring my friend with me to Pantip so she can communicate in Thai. It is better to buy from a computer store with a repair department in Korat where she lives. Can't understand why cell phones should cost so much for a Thai if they make so little money. My hotel's workers make only B400 a day. I guess they get extra tips from the service charges I pay in my hotel reservations. Someone told me they don't get much. Thai phones should be sold to Thais at Thai prices. Not American prices. Now with this info I might decide to just buy one item as a gift. A large sized Samsung Note 8 or S or S9. Computer data surfing and camera as well phone all in one. Since she lives in Korat she should just buy it over there. Just need to decide how much I love or like her. One hang-up. I think she has a white husband! She always evades my questions why her boyfriend doesn't buy her a cell. What would you do?

thank you gentlemen. It's a hard life when you have 3 girlfriends and they all keep calling me on LINE asking for money, cell phone, and laptops. I love them all but how can I afford
        them all. After this winter vacation I will probably have 6 pulling at my wallet strings. Despite these constant demands for my money I continue to love this ladyboy chasing life. Way too addictive and intoxicating.

Thanx again Crag. You so knowledgeable in EVERYTHING Thai. Might visit the Volleyball contest if my friend will let me.

Comment

In Pattaya there is a building called TukCom - it is essential the old Pantip Plaza setup, but in Pattaya. They have cellphones, laptops, electronics, electronics repair shops, etc, all at good prices. It is located on South Road, Pattaya, here is the link about it: TukCom

Another good brand of cell phone to consider is Xiaomi - another Chinese mobile phone company - that is up and coming, excellent value for the money giving close to the same performance as the top end Samsungs, but at around 60% of the price.

Click on the links below and discover how the Forums work
          Membership Levels
          The Rookie Thread
          New to The Ladyboy Forums? Introduce yourself!
          Old Members Must Reset Their Passwords

Comment

Thanks Braddah! this is indeed interesting. Corner of South Pattaya and Bukhao Rd. Right next to the popular tent flea market. I will definitely have fun there next week. Love Winters in Pattaya/Bangkok/Thailand.

Comment

Originally posted by George Pill View Post
              Thanks Braddah! this is indeed interesting. Corner of South Pattaya and Bukhao Rd. Right next to the popular tent flea market. I will definitely have fun there next week. Love Winters in Pattaya/Bangkok/Thailand.
              George Pill, I think the location of TukCom is a bit different than you think--the tent flea market is in Soi Buakao. rxpharn's link has a map with the location and it is spot on. Coming off of Soi Buakhao on to South Road you would turn right and walk about a minute or so. You will see it across the street.
              Have read positive and negative things about TukCom but I really like the place. Bought a cheap laptop there about 5 years ago and it never let me down...that is until I fried it by spilling a can of beer on the thing.

Comment

I just arrived in bkk last Friday. Visited pantip Plaza for computers and laptops. I found a good booth with good sales people selling Huawei cell phones. Middle range was about B6600. One year warranty all over Thailand. Was told this was popular because it fit a lot of Thais' budgets. So someone's going to get an early Christmas present.

Comment

Hope I'm making the right choice. Whaddaya think?

Comment

George I have a Aussie buddy who has lived in Thailand for the last 17yrs and now resides in Pak Chong, he's also a electrical wiz who builds drones as a hobby!! He opened my eyes to the knock off market that is rampant in Thailand !! He spots frauds easily and has warned me not to buy any electronics without sending him a photo first after I got ripped off buying a charging bank! The chinese copy everything especially cell phones and they work well to the common consumer but the processors are slower and the camera's inferior !! Before buying any electronics just quickly check on youtube how to spot a copy of that particular model!! Cause a new Huewei should be at lest 10 000baht try to avoid refurbs but its up to you in the end !!!

Comment

Man. So hard to buy a decent phone anywhere in Asia where e everybody is ripping off everybody. Phone is 4 a friend. After I give it away it becomes her problemo. I ow last year's Samsung Note 8 bought in Honolulu, and am super happy with it. Amazing ability to take pictures in the dark (in bed). Fast internet surfing. Clear loud sounds. Just waiting 4 phone conversation handicap texting 4 the hearing impaired. Would be great 4 conversing at loud football stadiums or rock concerts. Have always loved closed captioning on TV. Want to shave the hand of that Congressman/Senator who passed a bill requiring all TV's to have CCing. Will check out this YouTube 4 whatever model Huawei is selling. Gonna make my Thai girlfriend work HARD 4 this phone.

Comment

Go for it !! I did the same they know how to show their gratitude !! Didn't want you to buy a piece of shit phone that breaks down then you quickly become a cheap charlie with no lov'in lol!!

Comment

Yesterday I walked into my nearby 7-11 and bought a SIM card 4 my American Samsung Note 8 4 only B300. Counter person was nice enough install it and get it working. Now dont need to constantly find a working WIFI. Card is good 4 eight days. Then its B100 every week 4 unlimited Internet data. So simple. Now I ask for new friends' LINE numbers so I can ask for ST's without having to walk to every bar.

Pattaya Central Fesival has some cheap Samsung cell phones fro around US$200+. Same 4 Huaweis.

love that I can now send extra sharp photos from my Note 8 to friends rapidly through LINE instantly. Everybody should download LINE. It's free. No need to give a credit card number. Can video calls free, but calls are short and grainy. But it's free. What's not to like?

BTW, there's a flu going around town. Seems I always get it every time I come to thailand. Things r super slow in the bar business. Hope it picks up after Halloween. Aussie Bar on Soi 7 is demolished along with its adjacent neighbors. So few quality ladyboys to be seen anywhere. Nana plaza's third floor Cascades is demolished. Never coming back. Crew moved downstairs to second floor right next to the escalator. Saw Layla there. She limp and no cum from 2 years ago. She asked me if Crag is married. How should I know. Never met him. She tells me to not tell Crag. Yeah, right. Bad girl was moonlighting in the Nana Hotel parking lot. Like Shasha, both r limpies. Waste money.

Disappointed with downstairs Obsessions. Waitresses are stuck up and sneering at me. Dancers dont even look at you. Just yakking among each other. I thin everybody's got burnout. Needs a new manager. Always some Japanese tourists happily fondling the ladyboys inside their crotch bands. Later they leave en masse with their girlfriends 4 the night. 555. 5 inches, 5 minutes, 5000 Bahts. HAHAHA. They r making things more expensive 4 us tourists and farangs. BAR fine is now B900. Mo beddah try the street walkers. Will tell you about the puta who asked me ppto pay her BEFORE we start. She didnt know my reputation as Mr. Smashmouth. Will elaborate later.

Comment

Working...
                          X