Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"The Hong Kong government is clear: The city is still open for business." Really?" Even though the Star Ferry has been closed? The only reason I would visit HK now is to take pictures of fall of Communist China. I learned that from the dangerous riots in Bangkok. Stickman Bangkok took a lot of photos of every demonstration but this particular event showed some white tourists in a party mood standing on a monument for a better view and splashing beer everywhere. There were factions wearing yellow or red Tshirts and both were super hot around the collars. Lots were wearing masks made of cloth either to hide their faces or keep the tear gas out of their eyes.
    These dangerous events in HK may be a turning point for the success or failure of China. Just like it was for the former USSR. Remember Yeltsin standing on a tank celebrating the shelling of what was the Russian Parliament or Congress. Unforgettable journalistic photos of the impossible fall of Communism and rise of Democracy (Yeah, right bro). I changed my mind. I want to visit Hong Kong and gawk at the total destruction of a shining city of prosperity in China. Just like Pyongyang is bragging about. Maybe Britain will return and steal HK back for another hundred years. Join me there. I'll be wearing a red Singha Beer Tshirt, Canon DSLR with zoom lenses, a blue nurse's surgical mask, and lifeguard's helmet. Adioso and be safe!

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/h...rnd/index.html

Comment

Hong Kong’s embattled leader Carrie Lam has finally fully withdrawn a controversial bill that allowed extradition to mainland China and sparked three months of dramatic protests in the financial hub.

I think Xi finally realizes it is not worth the trouble to kill their cash cow. HK lives €¦. for now. Don't let your guard down. Those Chink Commies are still sneaky bastards. I wonder if the protestors will take this opportunity to sign an agreement to never ever mess with their civil rights. Wow! You crazy SOB's dared to fight and won. We salute you all. We'll be coming back soon for your delicious Chow Mein and Peking Ducks. Got shark fin soup and bird nest soup to go along with your sour soups? I love Chinese food next to Thai ladyboys.

Comment

So has anyone flown through Hong Kong recently?

I see fare through HK seem to be a little lower than usual.
        www.ladyboysthai.com

Comment

I have not flown thru HKG recently and I purposefully avoided HKG when booking my 2020 USA-Thailand outbound trip. Protests have been going on for months, causing weak demand and CX cut some routes for the Winter 2019. I could have flown CX via IAD-HKG-BKK, but they operate the IAD-HKG flight 4x/week and they were cancelling flights due to light loads as noted by objektiw on December 21, 2019

"We were just notified yesterday that our CX flight from IAD to HKG on December 25 had a “schedule change” (not operating), and we were rebooked on AA connecting in DFW outbound and LAX inbound (we booked on aa.com). This itinerary adds 10 hours to the trip time both ways, losing a day in HKG and a night on return…."
          Cathay Pacific will be cutting flights to Frankfurt, New York, Paris, Vancouver, and more, following a couple of very challenging months.

I experienced the Thai protesters shut down of two BKK airports in Nov 2008 when returning to the USA and I was fortunate to catch a Korean (KE) flight from U-Tapao airport to ICN-JFK. It was impossible to contact the airlines w/o being placed on long holds, so I just took a chance and took a taxi from Bangkok to U-Tapao. I had to check-in under the tree outside the airport terminal, then had to stand inside and wait for 6+hrs waiting for the flight, but I got on the flight and returned to the USA. Based on this experience, I avoided HKG on my 2020 trip planning even for a cheaper fare.

Comment

IAD = Washington Dulles
            CX = Cathay Pacific
            One free LD to anyone who guessed.

Comment

Originally posted by Crag Rockheart View Post
              So has anyone flown through Hong Kong recently?

I see fare through HK seem to be a little lower than usual.
              I was tempted to from Toronto but for almost the same price Taiwan with EVA is such a better option than CX(Hong Kong) or any of the China airlines

Comment

I see the protests in Hong Kong have moved to the airport. I know it's only the out station but it still seems like a burden to travel.

Comment

Working...
                X