X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tourism safety suggestions

I am starting a new thread about how to have a safe vacation in Thailand. This is the start or what may be a popular topic. Apparently this guy shares my same physosophy, "TRY NO ONE IN FOREIGN COUNTRIES.: Take a first peek.

Is your hotel safe really safe?

I am not one for giving out travel advice, but have you ever considered just how safe your room safe is?

I don't trust room safes, they are not totally secure.
    I will keep some money and electronics in the safe but i don't ever assume that I am the only one that can access it.
    If that was the case and i forget my passcode, all contents are lost if nobody else can open it.

To me it is worth the atm fees to leave your money in the bank until you need it.
    You can take out the maximum amount to save fees but the piece of mind is worth it.
    Money cannot be stolen if you leave it in your bank.

Hotel maids and workers are not going to steal your laptop or something like this unless it is a really shady place.
    A large item like that is very easy to trace and not so easy to sell. So they don't want to lose their job over something like that.
    They could flee with your stuff back to their hometown, but then they would be out of a job and on the lam.

As the article states, cash is easy to steal and impossible to trace.
    They are not going to steal something that is obvious and easily missed.
    www.ladyboysthai.com

Comment

I had quite a substantial amount of cash stolen from my hotel room at a 4 star hotel some years ago. It was from a wallet inside my handluggage. Unfortunately, I didn't realise it until I was home unpacking my stuff, so yes be careful with too many cash - even in 4-5 star hotel chains

Comment

Try PacSafe.com. Look for TravelSafe then Travelsafe Portable Safes. Also sold at Amazon.com. I lock the cable to my large Samsonite handle and then stuff it into my same suitcase. Zipper it locked. If someone wants to steal my money and documents they will have to cut another cable locking my suitcase handle to a heavy wooden chair before rollering a large black suitcase sprayed with yellow zigzag lines. Looks awful but nobody would dare walk off with such a loud suitcase. Wakarimasu ka?

Comment

The easiest thing is just don't keep much cash in your room.
          You can never prove to police that you even had the cash.

I think if you really want to keep stacks of money you should be able to put it in the hotel safe.
          Then you can both count it and sign something showing how much you have there. Most decent hotels will do this.

Some even say you should leave your key at the front desk. Then you can't lose it or are robbed, there is no risk of culprits getting into your room.

When i go out I generally take out and carry enough cash for the day, and also carry an alternate bank card that has limited money on it just in case.

I will put my expensive camera and laptop in the safe but there is a very low chance anyone will take that unless an outside crook somehow breaks in. Very hard for staff to steal larger stuff anyway.

Then I just leave all my bags out and open so they see there is nothing.

We used to have major car theft and break in problems where I live. It got to a point if you had nothing to steal, you just left your car unlocked. If it was locked they assumed there was valuables and smashed in your window.

If they cut though your locks and steal money, you may notice it but it is already too late.
          Even if you don't have money, then you are out all the money you spent on locks to protect stuff they probably won't steal anyway.

My insurance will cover a camera or whatever. Still I am not careless. Insurance will not cover cash.

The Support plan on my new $2000 laptop covered a ladyboy smashing it into pieces on the floor.
          www.ladyboysthai.com

Comment

What is the insurance you carry for stolen camera or laptop? Name and where to buy? So much danger to keep track of.

Comment

Originally posted by George Pill View Post
              What is the insurance you carry for stolen camera or laptop? Name and where to buy? So much danger to keep track of.
              My home insurance covers loss of personal items like cameras and computers. I think I have a $500 deductible.
              If you have a home you probably have this insurance. It will cover stuff in your car or on vacation.
              I think mine covers me up to $60,000 in theft or damage and costs about $250 a month.

You can buy commercial insurance for items that are business related or really expensive.

I bought a laptop at Best Buy for $2000 and bought the geek squad warranty with it which was $15 per month. Before i had not seen the benefit of extended warranties but this time it worked great.
              www.ladyboysthai.com

Comment

Will have to check with my State Farm. Good thing I have all home owners, Liability, and auto insurance. Will have to ask for details about coverage for theft. I have Square Trade for damages but don't think theft. So complicated. But what now. No matter. Cannot travel to Thailand or anything in the world. C has ruined everything. Everything dealing with the human race. But not creatures below us. Pray for that damned vaccine to be successful enoough to ramrod it through production and expedite the vaccination program.

Comment

According to this you should be covered. Home owners and tenant insurance is pretty much the same everywhere.
                  It covers the contents of your home no matter where you take your insured stuff.
                  It says you would not be covered if you lost your stuff in flood or earthquake etc.

The only thing would be what your deductible is. Mine is $500. So I have to pay $500 to cover each claim.
                  You can get cheaper deductibles if your premiums are higher.

https://www.statefarm.com/insurance/...rty/homeowners

State Farm Homeowners insurance

What’s Covered by
                  Homeowner’s Insurance

In addition to your home, ensure you can repair or replace your home and the items you value that aren’t permanently attached to your home or your property. Personal property is covered even if you’re on vacation, running errands or holding items in storage.

We Protect These Type of Items

Keepsakes Jewelry, collectibles, pictures
                  Hobbies Cameras, musical instruments, firearms, money
                  Home & GardenWashers, dryers, furniture (both home and lawn), lawn decorations, swing sets, clothing, computers and data processing equipment used or intended for use in a business

We Cover You From These Type of Threats

Nature Lightning, wind or hail, freezing of a plumbing system, weight of ice, snow or sleet
                  Random Acts Fire, theft, vandalism, riots, explosion, smoke, aircraft and vehicles
                  Other Causes Abrupt and accidental discharge of water from plumbing system, tearing/bulging of heating or cooling systems, artificially generated electrical current

What’s Not Covered2

Natural & Other Causes Damage from flood, underground water, earthquakes, mudslides, settling, deterioration, contamination, nuclear hazard, birds, rodents, insects or domestic animals
                  Work-related Business pursuits or professional services. Learn more about business owners policies
                  Vehicles Ownership, operation, or maintenance of aircraft, motor vehicles and some watercraft
                  www.ladyboysthai.com

Comment

Whoa. You are seriously a generous gentleman genius. Thank you, sir.

Comment

Two restaurant owners have been sentenced to 723 years in prison in Thailand, after defrauding the public with a seafood promotion.

Happened in Thailand. Pretends to be stupid that they sold too many tickets to fulfill.

Comment

Originally posted by George Pill View Post
                        https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/11/asia/...ntl/index.html

Happened in Thailand. Pretends to be stupid that they sold too many tickets to fulfill.
                        Wow, 723 years in prison for that ?! it looks a bit extreme to me...

Comment

Ya looks like their ghosts will be in prison

Comment

Working...
                          X