Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Following on from Post #163 I just received, today, this e-mail:

Greetings from Amazon.co.uk.

We regret to report that the release of the following item has been cancelled:

John Burdett "The Godfather of Siam"

This item has now been cancelled from your order

There was a post #166 suggesting it would come out in the USA in January 2010 under another title:

Posted By kevin4252 on 14th May 2009

I just checked Amazon, a new title from Burdett, maybe just for the American release, is " The Godfather from Katmandu", must be same book mentiond above, probably an American title, same characters, release date Jan 2010

Comment

• (driftwood @ Jul. 31 2009,10:17) The Lost City of Z by Davis Grann "A Tale of Deadly Obsession In The Amazon" Centers around English explorer P.H. Fawcett's quests to find the mythical (?) city of gold, El Dorado, and several other adventurers who disappeared in the jungle. A damn good read!
      Yeah, I read that. It was really good.
      "Bankin' off of the northeast wind
      Salin' on a summer breeze
      And skippin' over the ocean, like a stone."
      -Harry Nilsson

Comment

• "Wilt"
        Tom Sharpe

Comment

• I just finished Empire of Illusion, The end of Literacy and the Triumph of Spectacle, by Chris Hedges.
          I thought it was a brilliant analysis of our current situation, viz a viz the current global financial crisis, how and why we got here, and the mechanisms of control used by the elite to kill dissent. A chilling read.
          The guy got a Pulitzer for it.
          ISBN 978-1-56858-437-9
          -Harry Nilsson

Comment

• I just found a great movie book called "10 bad dates with deNiro "

It gives a great alternative read about films, actors, directors, and it is really funny.
            i love t-girls

Comment

• Pegasus Bridge - Stephen Ambrose (211 pages). The British D-Day raid behind enemy lines. Part of the invasion, these were the first guys on French soil.
              Good stuff if you're interested in WWII history. 

"Pegasus Bridge was the objective of the British 6th Airborne glider infantry, six of whose gliders landed noiselessly shortly after midnight on D-Day (i.e., six to seven hours before the actual seaborne landings started). Their mission was to sever a major artery between Caen and the sea, and thus prevent German reinforcements from hitting the left flank of the invasion area, all the while keeping the bridges intact for later expansion of the beachhead. The 150-odd men rapidly overwhelmed the sleeping German defenders and managed to hold off counterattacks (21st Panzer Division) for over 12 hours until reinforcements arrived."

Comment

• just finished "Papillon" by Henri Charriere (also made into a movie starring Steve McQueen). Great read - I highly recommend

Have just started on "The Presidents" by Stephen Graubard. This is a history of the American Presidency in the 20th century - from Teddy Roosevelt to Barack Obama
                No honey, no money!!

Comment

• a grizzly maze-timothy treadwell story

Comment

• Very funny, you sick fuck.      He was eaten by bears.  
                    Herzog did a documentary about Treadwell and "his" bears.
                    It's all fun and games until some one gets eaten.
                    -Harry Nilsson

Comment

• The trophy taker- lee weeks Good read set in Hong kong about hostesses,triads,cops and killers.
                      i'm going where the sun keeps shining.................

Comment

• I'm currently reading, or I should say slogging through, Salmam Rushdie's, Satanic Verses.
                        Yeah, this is the one that got him the fatwa/price on his head by the muslim not jobs.
                        I figure I've got two weeks to finish the thing, but I'm not sure if I will. I'm enjoying it, but is not but an easy read. This sucker takes work, and a bit of going back to previous chapters to figure out what is gong on.
                        Overall though, any writer that can do a literary hatchet job on "god", is all right, as far as I'm concerned.
                        I've heard that Midnight's Children is his best work. I think I may try that one next.
                        -Harry Nilsson

Comment

• I've just read 'my name Lon, u like me?' - about Thai Bargirls. Total crap, written as tho she was western - western moral values on a bargirl? Blaming all the sex trade on westerners, ALL of it - no mention of Thai brothels at all - just playing to white man's guilt - pity the poor sex slaves, etc. etc.
                          Not just lying crap, but bleeding heart hippy liberal, lying crap. The ignorance is impressive.
                          Well, it was 20,000 Rupiah, and nothing better caught my eye - guess I'll take it back now & try again.
                          The Ancient Greeks had it right - women for breeding, boys for pleasure.
                          We're just coming back to the same place.

Comment

• Why can't I edit this post?
                            The bad grammar police will get me,
                            I must hide under the bedclothes....

Seriously tho - is editing not allowed?
                            I only want to be able to edit my own posts.
                            The Ancient Greeks had it right - women for breeding, boys for pleasure.
                            We're just coming back to the same place.

Comment

• Grinder the biog man - reading 'Parky' at the mo. Interesting tales of the rich and shameless as well as wonderful memories of legends such as Cook, Moore, Williams and Cooper.

Naang will know what I mean...

Comment

• (fridgemagnet @ Aug. 28 2009,21:19) Lon, u like me?' - about Thai Bargirls.
                                Lon like to blame all her problems on others instead of taking reponsibilty for her life.

Comment

Working...
                                X