Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Professor, the Banker, and the Suicide King.

A great read about pro poker players and a talented amateur.

Comment

• 'The Devil We Know by Robert Baer - awesome read!

Comment

• just read a taste of my life - Raymond blanc - not bad
        i'm going where the sun keeps shining.................

Comment

• The Lost Tribes of Israel by Tudor Parfitt
          No honey, no money!!

Comment

• im reading somme mud by e p f lynch a simple infantymans diarys and thoughts-in the great war, not stupidly sad more of humanity and friendship and the thoughts he felt that every day could be his last!!

have not read anywhere the killing of kids, different people i think

Comment

• marshal- one for you about the great mans love of thailand

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel....nd.html

Comment

• This weekend i started with the Harry Porter Saga. I am halfway the fist one.
                It is ok reading, but i cant understand why it has become such a big hit.
                Five more to go.

Comment

• AZTEC - Gary Jennings. Historical saga about the great Aztec empire and its destruction. Still have 674 more pages to read...  

Comment

• This was a good read

The emerald planet : how plants changed Earth's history.
                    Beerling, D. J.
                    ISBN 978-0-19-954814-9 ( 0199548145 ) 581.38 BEE

Plants have transformed our planet over the last 400 million years as they invaded the land and diversified into the astonishing variety we know today. But their influence has reached even further: they have profoundly moulded the Earth's climate and the evolutionary trajectory of life. Far from being 'silent witnesses to the passage of time', plants are dynamic components of our world, shaping the environment throughout history as much as that environment has shaped them. In The Emerald Planet, David Beerling puts plants centre stage, revealing the crucial role they have played in driving global changes in the environment, in recording hidden facets of Earth's history, and in helping us to predict its future. There could be no more important time to take a close look at plants, and to understand the history of the world through the stories they tell.

Comment

• I too have that book. havnt read it yet though . At least one other BM has it also but i know for a fact that he will never read it...to busy reading Harry Potter and the Elf god .. ha ha.. ho ho

( my copies signed as well... na)

Comment

• Had to read it in a quiet spot. It's well put together. I should have read the last chapter first as it ties all the ideas and concepts neatly together then gone back and read from the beginning. It took a while to read through it with ~60p of end notes, but pretty interesting ideas, especially the bits about fire causing a lack of clouds, and thus more dry.

Signed as well! Beerling must be famous or do you know him?

Comment

• The Joy of Libraries, a Fireman's Flame, and the Google Books Settlement

http://lauren.vortex.com/archive/000611.html

"Behind each of these books, there's a man."
                          - Montag (Oskar Werner) - "Fahrenheit 451" (1966)

Greetings. Enough words have been written and spoken about the
                          proposed Google Books settlement to -- well, not fill a library, but
                          certainly enough to overflow a bunch of bookshelves at the very least.

Most of this discussion has understandably concentrated on various
                          technical, political, privacy, competitive, and other of the myriad,
                          detailed complexities in play within this contentious arena.

But for a moment, I'd like to back away from the trees and look more
                          broadly at the forest, to consider why the bringing into the light of
                          so many out-of-print and orphan works, as envisioned by the
                          settlement, is so important.

I hope you'll forgive me if I wax a bit philosophically down memory
                          lane.

When I was at UCLA many years ago, I spent a great deal of my free
                          time (when I wasn't hacking Unix system code down in Boelter Hall's
                          basement ARPANET lab) in the various libraries scattered around
                          campus.

Directly upstairs a number of floors from the lab was the Engineering
                          library, and I approached it rather systematically, working my way
                          from first editions onward through the small in size (but dense in
                          content) Bell System Technical Journal and similar light reading.

But the real serendipity was in the other libraries -- the Powell
                          library for one. Directly across the Quad from celebrated Royce Hall,
                          Powell contained a maze of narrow stacks packed with seemingly endless
                          rows of books on every conceivable topic. It was in that very library
                          that a young Ray Bradbury, hammering away at a pay-by-the hour manual
                          typewriter, wrote the script for his classic novel "Fahrenheit 451."

Across campus was the much more modern and utilitarian "Research
                          Library," with its large room full of index cards still a primary
                          lookup technology at that time.

The Research Library, though far more modernistic than Powell, still
                          had its own charms. Avoiding the busy main elevators, I'd ride
                          upstairs in the almost totally deserted brushed aluminum-door rear
                          lifts, with their funky "way too rapid" acceleration and deceleration
                          curves approximating a cheap thrill ride at every visit.

Once upstairs, I'd find some quiet table in a back corner to designate
                          as home base, and I'd start to wander the massive stacks.

It didn't matter what the topics might be. I slowly walked the aisles
                          and pulled books as randomly as I could until I had a good pile, then
                          brought them back to my table.

I won't claim to have completely read all books that I selected, but I
                          tried to give them each a good shot at least. I plowed through new
                          books, somewhat old books, and remarkably old books, as the white
                          noise of the air conditioning vents in the ceiling provided a
                          comforting acoustic force field from the outside world.

Books on philosophy. Books on sociology. A detailed survey of UK
                          telephone switching systems as implemented by the Royal Post Office,
                          circa 1948. Timothy Leary's expansive expositions, where he
                          speculated on direct electrical brain stimulation as a mind expansion
                          technique. Houdini's steel restraint escape techniques (ya' never
                          know when those might come in handy). Book and books, and more books
                          still.

I felt like Burgess Meredith's character in the original "Twilight
                          Zone" episode "Time Enough at Last" -- when he stumbled onto a
                          treasure trove of library books in a post-apocalyptic bombed-out city.

More books than I could ever read in a thousand lifetimes.

But eventually I wasn't at UCLA any more, and getting back to those
                          libraries, especially given the realities of L.A. distances and
                          traffic, became increasingly problematic.

A realization for me early on in my library wandering days was that so
                          many wonderful books were available to so relatively few people. And
                          as Bradbury's Montag said in his chauvinistic way, there are human
                          beings behind every book in those libraries -- authors whose writing
                          efforts are wasted if their books for most intents and purposes can't
                          be found, can't be seen, and so can't be read for learning, for
                          enjoyment, or just to pass some quiet hours in contemplation of
                          literature.

This is especially true of out-of-print and orphan works, which in
                          many cases are as effectively inaccessible as if they didn't exist at
                          all, their authors' thoughts and sweat buried with them.

That so many of these books and other works have suffered this fate as
                          a byproduct of our existing copyright and publishing paradigms is more
                          than a loss, more than a tragedy really -- it borders on the criminal,
                          especially when technology and resources are now available to lift
                          these works back into the sunlight of wide availability.

For so many years these books have been like unwanted stepchildren,
                          largely ignored as unprofitable or not worth the effort to track down
                          rights holders, and so they have remained lost in the gloom as far as
                          most potential readers have been concerned.

So while I was initially skeptical of some rights-related reasoning
                          underpinning the earliest Google Book Search efforts, I consider the
                          proposed settlement to be a positive breakthrough that I heralded when
                          it was first announced and that I -- even granting its various
                          faults -- still strongly support.

I have previously written of some possible alterations to the
                          settlement that might make it more palatable to various detractors
                          ( http://lauren.vortex.com/archive/000610.html ).

But ultimately, I want all possible books -- like those that I loved
                          at UCLA -- to be available to the world, and I consider the Google
                          Books settlement, with its various opt-out provisions and other
                          controls, to be a reasonable means to accomplish this goal.

The financial and technical resources necessary for such a task are
                          formidable. That Google would want to ultimately make a profit on
                          such a venture is not only acceptable, but completely appropriate as
                          well.

And while we can reasonably argue about the settlement's substantive
                          details, my sense is that there are some major forces in the
                          anti-settlement camp whose primary focus and interest in this case has
                          nothing whatever to do with the availability of books, and very much
                          to do with the playing out of business-related and other animosities
                          toward Google itself, overall public interests be damned.

In "Fahrenheit 451," a society banned and burned books to keep
                          them away from the population. But in our own society, books that are
                          essentially unavailable are almost as effectively nullified, to the
                          detriment of the global community at large -- and you don't even need
                          to use kerosene and matches.

Let's put out the fires. Please support the Google Books settlement.

--Lauren--
                          Lauren Weinstein
                          [email protected]
                          Tel: +1 (818) 225-2800
                          http://www.pfir.org/lauren
                          Co-Founder, PFIR
                          - People For Internet Responsibility - http://www.pfir.org
                          Co-Founder, NNSquad
                          - Network Neutrality Squad - http://www.nnsquad.org
                          Founder, GCTIP - Global Coalition
                          for Transparent Internet Performance - http://www.gctip.org
                          Founder, PRIVACY Forum - http://www.vortex.com
                          Member, ACM Committee on Computers and Public Policy
                          Lauren's Blog: http://lauren.vortex.com
                          Twitter: https://twitter.com/laurenweinstein

__
                          privacy mailing list
                          http://lists.vortex.com/mailman/listinfo/privacy

Comment

• (tim1212 @ Sep. 07 2009,06:39)  israel, i still cant get over last dec when they murdered 500 children ?? the world said nought??? great timing i guess

im reading somme mud by e p f lynch a simple infantymans diarys and thoughts-in the great war, not stupidly sad more of humanity and friendship and the thoughts he felt that every day could be his last!!

have not read anywhere the killing of kids, different people i think
                            Have to second the motion on "Somme Mud" written by an average Aussie Digger who arrived in the Somme in 1915, surviving gassings, woundings, the death of many friends and never lost his sense of humour. One of the most interesting parts was his return to Post-war Sydney in 1919 and how he proceeded with his life.

Well worth the read.
                            f0xxee

"Spelling - the difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit."

Comment

• (driftwood @ Sep. 09 2009,05:05) AZTEC - Gary Jennings. Historical saga about the great Aztec empire and its destruction. Still have 674 more pages to read...  
                              Hi Driftwood,

If you like AZTEC (I did, nothing like human sacrifice and disembowelment to keep the imaginative juices flowing while reclined on the beach sipping red fanta) then try his other book Marco Polo.
                              Rivetting stuff about the travels of Marco Polo and even has a ladyboy in it.... (And tips on losening the back passage from said ladyboy.)

Cheers,

JF
                              f0xxee

"Spelling - the difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit."

Comment

• A Burmese friend of mine {who wants me to convert to Buddhism?} sent me a copy of 'Snow in the Summer' in June, a collection of writings from Sayadaw Jotika. An easy read and somewhat interesting, but to me is just the same self-help style nonsense you can get on any Dr.Phil rack at the supermarket. It's not easy trying to convert a dedicated agnostic who follows evolution and doesn't believe in coming back in new incarnations every few years.

Back to the Current events and History section at Barnes and Noble I guess!
                                Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

Comment

Working...
                                X