Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Very interesting and those who haven't learned from the lessons of history are doomed to repeat them which unfortunately is exactly what is happening on right now i.e. the people in the US fighting amongst themselves and abroad and the vantage point of the English as described is now the vantage point of the Chinese.

Maybe I sound insensitive but its not the case at all. I do care!  But if I had to live my whole life based on how everyone might be sensitive to me.. I would not be living my life as I want it. So you can accept me and my flaws as I am or you can't.

Comment

• Currently reading, Ghost Written, by David Mitchell. I love how this guy writes. I will no doubt read every thing I can find that he's done.
      Next will be Cloud Atlas, by the same author.
      I have to say, he is my current favorite writer.
      "Bankin' off of the northeast wind
      Salin' on a summer breeze
      And skippin' over the ocean, like a stone."
      -Harry Nilsson

Comment

• "Inside Outside" by Herman Wouk.

The Jewish experience from Minsk to Georgetown DC in typical Wouk style, that is to say with warmth and humour rather than jewish angst and hand-wringing. I have been a fan of his since the Caine Mutiny.

NOTE: Just caught up on about the last 3 pages of this thread. You're an intelligent bunch of sexual perverts aren't you?
        f0xxee

"Spelling - the difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit."

Comment

• Good God, I just finished Mad Magazine Christmas issue.
          TEXASMAC

Comment

• ReInventing food - Biography of Ferran Adria

Very interesting book about the evolution of el Bulli restaurant and a good insight into the mind of Ferran Adria, obviously it will not appeal to everyone but a good read.

Author coleman Andrews
            i'm going where the sun keeps shining.................

Comment

• Sushi and beyond a fasicinating book about japanese food and food culture, very well written and again probably will not appeal to non foodies.

Author - Micheal Booth

Comment

• (TEXASMAC @ Dec. 20 2010,08:21) Good God, I just finished Mad Magazine Christmas issue.
                Love it tex

I got all the Mad books from 1965 - 1975

Comment

• (marshal @ Jan. 11 2011,18:28) Sushi and beyond a fasicinating book about japanese food and food culture, very well written and again probably will not appeal to non foodies.

Author - Micheal Booth
                  That would be an interesting read. I'm sure it goes well beyond just the 'food' aspect  

I'm still leafing through a '74 edition of Larousse Gastronomique . Looking for 'new' recipes  

I got all the Mad books from 1965 - 1975
                  My Mad collection must have started circa 75 or 6. Maybe we should combine and go for Sothebys TC  
                  Did you exchange a walk-on part in the war for a lead role in a cage

Comment

• Great read and insight into some of the stranger cultural taboos and food practices.

La rousse is a great book, lots of classical french recipes, although i'm not a great lover of the French bullshit surrounding there cuisine, and think that they have long been overtaken by the Spanish, it is a good book to dip in and out of when required!

Comment

• The Inheritance - The World Obama confronts and the challenges to American Power.
                      David E. Sanger 2009 ISBN 9780593064177

Sanger, Chief Washington Correspondent for the New York Times.

Put to bed late 2008, events overtook it, but he pretty much predicts what has happens since including the financial crisis. All in all a GREAT read fro a quiet Avo out of the sun. Recommended....

Comment

• (Ivor Biggun @ Oct. 17 2010,13:58) about how China discovered the world and the Portugues/Spanish used their maps later and took all the credit  
                        Was it penned by a Chinaman...retro history i think they call it

Comment

• Just finished Cloud Atlas and Number 9 Dream by David Mitchell while I was on vacation.
                          The dude is a genius of literature. I'd put him on a par with the likes of Garcia Marquez, Nikos Kazantzakis or Herman Hesse.
                          Starting Black Swan Green next, can't wait.
                          This is all great stuff. Reading it at times made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up; deep, philosophical, funny, ironic, human and multi-leveled. I'm blown away by this writing.
                          "Bankin' off of the northeast wind
                          Salin' on a summer breeze
                          And skippin' over the ocean, like a stone."
                          -Harry Nilsson

Comment

• Last book finished was When Genius Failed about the rise and fall of long Term Capital Management.

Just started Map Addict.

Comment

• E=MC2 by Brian Cox and another dude. Cox is the big poof that was in a pop group and now claims hes a Scientist and is on TV all the time. I dont like him really but still.. i bought the book

tries to explain Einsteins two main Theories to derive E=MC2

If you want to learn how part of the Universe works its not a bad starter. Reality is not what it seems.. it seems

Comment

• I just finished "Unbroken" by Laura Hildebrand, the story of an Olympic Runner and WWII prisoner of war. Great book, she also wrote Seabiscuit.

One of the best books I have read in awhile.

Comment

Working...
                                X