Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TexasMac, you don't need to be smart to read books. "Inspector Chen" for example is just nice easy but clever writing set in the Shanghai region. I REALLY enjoyed reading them, and I picked it up at my local library the first one anyway because I liked the cover It took a day to read the first and now I've read them all except one, but that is coming. He's writing another one, and one is already out in French rather than English so I'll just have to wait for that one.

Reading, fiction, non fiction is just something interesting/relaxing/inspiring to do apart from being online or watching TV which seems to have more and more senseless crap on.... Just me and a book, no one else to bother me, what's not to like...

Comment

• I am going to look for some Inspector Chen novels. Sound interesting.
      TEXASMAC

Comment

• Unfortunatly I never got into reading books, car building books, suspension setup books, car magazines.

I guess only reference books, maybe one day I will take the plunge

Comment

• I read mostly fiction. Mystery and the odd True Crime now and then.
          TEXASMAC

Comment

• The First Great Train Robbery. David C. Hanrahan.

It tells the story of the first major theft from a train - London to Folkstone 1855.
            They stole about £14000 - roughly £600,000 (US$1 million) in todays money.

They planned the robbery very, very, carefully - but even then there were serious holes in the plan and they could (should?) have been caught within a few months of the theft.

What is interesting is that it appears the railway company tried to delay the investigation in order to avoid paying out compensation.

Anone heard of a ship called the Costa Concrdia?...........

RR.
            Pedants rule, OK. Or more precisely, exhibit certain of the conventional trappings of leadership.

"I love the smell of ladyboy in the morning."
            Kahuna

Comment

• Fudging here just slightly...     is "reading" on the internet, especially if there is only a small amount of text but large numbers of pictures count....    

Tumblr is a wonderful "library", down the Rabbit hole, you never know where you will end up

Here's the current section I'm browsing.   You may have seen some of these in the flesh... or at least the scenery.

http://perfectladyboys.tumblr.com

Sometimes a larger version of an image is available. if you want bigger versions just change the 500 in an URL into 1280  

http://25.media.tumblr.com/7b84668....500.jpg
              http://25.media.tumblr.com/7b84668....280.jpg

Comment

• How do you take your " reading on the Internet " into the bathroom?
                TEXASMAC

Comment

• Why would I need to take it into the bathroom?

I guess if I was going to lie in the BATH (British not 'merican use of the word bathroom) reading then one of those new tech tablet thingies would be just the ticket

Comment

• Most excellent writer
                    Lian Hearn
                    The Tales of the Otori series. Superb writing!

A prolific Australian, female author (see wiki link below)

There are FIVE books in the series see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gillian_Rubinstein apparently Lian Hearn is a pseudonym

The Tales of the Otori series under her Lian Hearn pseudonym.

Across the Nightingale Floor (2002)
                    Grass for His Pillow (2003)
                    Brilliance of the Moon (2004)
                    The Harsh Cry of the Heron (2006)
                    Heaven's Net is Wide (2007)

Blossoms And Shadows (Hachette Australia, 2010), under her Lian Hearn pseudonym

Comment

• Terry Pratchett's "Going Postal"

Diskworld series is really great. This is an oldie but goodie

33rd Discworld novel, released in the United Kingdom on September 25, 2004.

"in an alley between a house of negotiable fiction and a massage parlour"

lots of little phrases of similar vent....

Comment

• (TEXASMAC @ Mar. 27 2013,11:58) I hate to say that after the movie I am reading the " Jack Reacher " novels. They are simple I can read on the plane or on the toilet.
                        Never did understand the desire to sit on the throne and read...

Azza

A worthy trip report

Comment

• because in some houses it's the only place you can get any peace & quiet....

Comment

• Remember the Mr Monk TV series??

Well there are a whole series of Mr Monk books by
                            Lee Goldberg

GREAT reads. I'm chewing through them all courtesy of my local library.

Comment

• The Tigers of '68. The history of the Detroit Tigers after the 1967 race riots in Detroit.
                              TEXASMAC

Comment

Working...
                              X