Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

(JaiDee @ Sep. 25 2008,02:32) Of course

this is the most over-rated person in the history of sports

he has one title and about 900 picks and people {mostly in the part of america that no one cares about} think he is some sort of a legend 'cause he had gaudy numbers. He sucks....he threw another pick against the Pats 2 weeks ago, looked like hell against the chargers monday and knows about 10% of the Jets playbook.

I said it up here even before the season......the division he ends up in [happened to be in the AFC, proving there IS a God] would have DB's and safety's salivating just waiting for the ball to be thrown their way and it proved to be true.

This guy has been indecisive and reckless his whole career, has more "misses" than "hits" and is WAY over-rated

Over-the-hill never-was who should have hung it up around 1998
    There are so many things wrong with what you are saying that I can't begin to address them all. To say that someone who has posted the best record of durability in pro sports history, as for the USA anyway, while maintaining a QB rating over that time of 85.8, which if given a letter grade would be about a B+, is overrated, is ludicrous.

OK, he threw a pick against the Pats, and looked like hell against the Chargers, you say. Here is his stat line against a tough SD defense: 42 att 30 comp, 271 yds, 3 TD 2 INT, 92.5 rating. Sorry, but that does not define looking like hell. Yeah he had a bad play or two, but so does EVERY other QB WHO EVER PLAYED the game.
    For the 2008 season, so far, he has 6 TDs, 3 INTS and a 98.7 rating. Those are very good numbers. He has done that well, even considering, like you said, he still does not know most of the Jets play book.

That the Packers have won only one Super Bowl during his time there, does not take away from the great career he has had so far. TEAMS win Super Bowls, not individuals.

Favre is the only three€“time AP MVP (1995€“97) in NFL history and led the Packers to seven division championships (1995, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, and 2007), four NFC Championship Games (1995, 1996, 1997, and 2007), two NFC Championships (1996 and 1997), and one Super Bowl championship (XXXI). His NFL records include: most career touchdown passes (445), most career passing yards (62,030), most career pass completions (5,410), most career pass attempts (8,806), most career interceptions thrown (289), most consecutive starts among NFL quarterbacks (255; 277 total starts including playoffs), and most career victories as a starting quarterback (161)
    None of the above is indicative of one being the most overrated ever.

He is easily one of the toughest players to ever play the game, if not THE toughest. His iron man streak is not to be taken lightly, and it is extremely doubtful anyone else will ever come close in our lifetimes.

Here is another example of his toughness. On July 14, 1990, before the start of Favre's senior year of college, he was involved in a near-fatal car accident. When going around a bend a few tenths of a mile from his parents' house, Favre lost control of his car, which flipped three times and came to rest against a tree. It was only after one of his brothers smashed a car window with a golf club that Favre could be evacuated to the hospital. In the ambulance, his mother was sitting with him. "All I kept asking [her] was 'Will I be able to play football again?'" Favre recalled later. Doctors would later remove 30 inches (760 mm) of Favre's small intestine. Six weeks after this incident, on September 8, Favre led Southern Miss to a comeback victory over Alabama. Alabama coach Gene Stallings said, "You can call it a miracle or a legend or whatever you want to. I just know that on that day, Brett Favre was larger than life.

To say he should have "hung the up" around 1998, is absurd. The Packers still apparently wanted him, unless one believes he was paying them to let him play, and if they hadn't probably 25 other teams at the time would have been glad to take him.

More misses than hits? If you're referring to TDs vs INTs it would be 445 to 289, so it can't be that aspect. If it is games won that he started in relationship to total games started, it would 161 wins out of 255 starts, so that doesn't fit either.

I hate that he is now playing for a team that I totally despise, but looking at Favre's career objectively, I have to give him his just due, and as a matter of fact, amongst NFL QBs, he is an all time great. One of the top ten all time best QBs. It would do no good to rank the top ten, 20, or whatever in order, because it gets to be nit picky to put this guy over that guy, or that guy over this guy, and some subjectivity comes into the equation. So I'll just say he falls somewhere in the top ten, IMO, and I would bet any amount of money also in the opinion of any head coach he ever played against in the NFL.

Green Bay, Wisconsin embodies all that is great about the NFL and the sport of football, and to say it is a part of America that nobody cares about is way off base IMO.
    Even looking at the state from a political standpoint, they have IMO one of the best pairs of US Senators of any state. People in Wisconsin are generally at least as progressive and forward thinking as people anywhere in the USA.
    “When a nation's young men are conservative, its funeral bell is already rung.”
    ― Henry Ward Beecher

"Inflexibility is the worst human failing. You can learn to check impetuosity, overcome fear with confidence and laziness with discipline. But for rigidity of mind, there is no antidote. It carries the seeds of its own destruction." ~ Anton Myrer

Comment

Thats a lot of writing and stats there Lefty.  I will have to agree with Lefty just because it looks impressive
      You Live and You Learn -- Hopefully!

Comment

Not me, I have watched him dozens of times and those smoke and mirror numbers don't impress me; he has thown more picks in more important times than ANYONE, inlcuding last years NFC title game when all he needed was about 30 yards for field goal range to get to the super blow and he passed it right to someone on the other team, per usual.

The only thing any good about that wanna- be and his inlflated stats above is his durability.... guys who earn their paycheck are cool.

I still say he blows, he should've taken the 20 million over 10 years [to stay away!] and just sat on his porch in Mississippi all winter. coming back to play for a team that not only won't go any better than 6-10 but could get him a spinal injury that could end him up in a chair for life proves he's not all that bright either.  
        Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

Comment

(JaiDee @ Sep. 25 2008,06:39)
          (Dieter @ Sep. 25 2008,03:31) WTF ...is Brett Favre???
          that pretty much says it all, even if Dieter is from Deutschland ..... this guy is a nobody and never amounted to shit, his numbers were put up there with smoke and mirrors and his pick-to-reception ratio is higher than anyone.

an average player who played in a small-city market all his years, if he had started his career with the Jets or the Raiders or the Cowgirls all those years ago no one even would have heard of this hack.
          I think Dieter was kidding when he asked who is Brett Favre?

No QB lasts as long as Favre has and plays as well as he has, doing it with smoke and mirrors. As for his pick to reception ratio ( I presume you mean completion since QBs don't make receptions except in rare instances) being the worst ever, that is not a stat that is readily available for you to prove it or me to disprove it, but I highly doubt he is the worst. Granted he has the most career picks, but he also has the most career attempts. Going into this season, his TD-INT differential was a +156 (now +159) and considering Dan Marino has one of the best ever differentials with a +168, I would be willing to bet that Favre's +156 is not even close to the worst.
          Joe Montana was a +134 for his career. John Elway was a +74.

What does playing in a small market city have to do with anything? He had to play against the same teams he would have had to play against no matter which city his team was in.
          ― Henry Ward Beecher

"Inflexibility is the worst human failing. You can learn to check impetuosity, overcome fear with confidence and laziness with discipline. But for rigidity of mind, there is no antidote. It carries the seeds of its own destruction." ~ Anton Myrer

Comment

(Lefty @ Sep. 25 2008,11:48) What does playing in a small market city have to do with anything?
            The Press and the fans

no one is scared of the Milwaukee Journel and the Green Bay  whatever ........   but the NY papers have eaten up guys with better talent than him.

Comment

(JaiDee @ Sep. 25 2008,11:45) Not me, I have watched him dozens of times and those smoke and mirror numbers don't impress me; he has thown more picks in more important times than ANYONE, inlcuding last years NFC title game when all he needed was about 30 yards for field goal range to get to the super blow and he passed it right to someone on the other team, per usual.

The only thing any good about that wanna- be and his inlflated stats above is his durability.... guys who earn their paycheck are cool.

I still say he blows, he should've taken the 20 million over 10 years [to stay away!] and just sat on his porch in Mississippi all winter. coming back to play for a team that not only won't go any better that 6-10 but could get him a spinal injury that could end him up in a chair for life proves he's not all that bright either.
              Any player could get a spinal injury at any time. If Favre still loves to play, and is good enough, which he is, that some team wants him and wants to pay him, then so be it I say.
              I admire him for telling the Packers no thanks when it came to them paying him not to play, and going ahead and playing.
              He could have taken the easy way out, but he didn't. That is highly admirable to me.

The one silver lining to me is it netted the Dolphins a solid starting QB in Chad Pennington, who should at least help the team be competitive week to week until they decide Chad Henne is ready to take the reins for the next ten years or so.
              ― Henry Ward Beecher

Comment

(JaiDee @ Sep. 25 2008,11:53)
                (Lefty @ Sep. 25 2008,11:48) What does playing in a small market city have to do with anything?
                The Press and the fans

no one is scared of the Milwaukee Journel and the Green Bay whatever ........ but the NY papers have eaten up guys with better talent than him.
                The citizens of Green Bay live and breath Packers football, 24/7/365, and their players are as much living in a fish bowl as players anywhere and more so than most. In a place as small as Green Bay, they can't take a crap without everyone in town knowing about it.

Name one player better than Favre who got eaten up by the NY press in such a way that he was not able to perform up to his abilities, had his career stunted by their negative reporting, whatever, etc.

Your first examples were also Oakland, Dallas, and I've seen nothing about Favre to indicate his having such a fragile makeup that he could not handle the press in those cities either. So far he seems to be handling the NY press just fine, and they are more in awe of him than he is of them.
                ― Henry Ward Beecher

Comment

My problem isn't that the guy can't play. he can. But he's fucked up his 'legend' status by whoring himself to the NFL for another year and another paycheck.

He could probably play competitively for another 4 years but for whom and for why?

Marino/Elway/Aikman will go out legends because of the extra seasons they didn't play.

It's all in the mind and not necessarily on the field!

Comment

I have to agree with RT on the above statement and Lefty on most of his points and completely disagree with JaiDee. Brett Favre is a stud and just to be able to play 200+ games without missing a start in a game as violent as football when most other QBs will sit out with a hangnail is testimony enough. Sure he has thrown some notable picks, most recently against the Giants last January, but he has more then compensated for that by dominating many more games then he ever lost.

Along with RT I think he has jeopardized his legacy by returning after retiring. Had he of just "not" retired and stayed in GB he could have sailed off into the sunset in a more dignified fashion.

Brett is one of the greatest QBs ever......not THE greatest as I have seen them come and go for the past 40+ years of watching the NFL and I personally feel that Tom Brady is THE greatest of all time but Brett is now and always will be a stud. The Jets will go at least 8-8 or 9-7 with him this year which is significantly better then they would have done with the Chad man at the helm.

Just my humble opinion

It's good to King........no matter what the pay

Courage is being scared to death__and saddling up anyway

Billy Jaffe, Radio Voice of the Thrashers:
                    ”I have absolutely No problem with Ohio State. It has a beautiful campus, and for a Junior College it has really great Academics.”

"Gentlemen and ladies, 'Those Who Stay Will Be Champions' is for you too. It's for every Michigan fan that's out there. When the going gets tough, you don't cut and run. It's not the Michigan way. If I heard it once from the old man, I heard it a thousand times -- when the going gets tough you find out who your real friends are, and that's why we must stay. Because there will be championships, and this staff and these kids will bring those championships here."

Comment

You guys convinced me, Favre is awesome

and all the cornerbacks in the league will agree with  you too!  

Google all the stats you want or just watch a few games ...... the guy is a hack, always has been, and will tarnish whatever 'legacy' he had in that crappy small town in wisconsin {?} by breaking something serious with the  J-E-T-S while going 6-10 to end his career.

great comeback, Brett!   and he thought he'd be welcomed back with open arms by the GB front office, be the returning hero and lead his team back to the NFC title game only to throw another pick when his team needs him most.... instead they just totally diss him [THEY knew the truth about this has-been, more than anyone typing up here] and he goes out like Napolean.

So funny, and can't even make a top 10 list!!

http://www.eagletribune.com/pusport....opstory

''But, when you talk about the top 10 greatest quarterbacks in NFL history, Brett Favre is not one of them.''

Agreed  -  great stuff, threads like this make my day!  
                      Attached Files

Comment

Actually Green Bay gave Brett numerous chances to un-retire and because of his indecisions until the last minute they decided that he was jerking their chain too much and gave up.

Sorry JaiDee but for every quote you can come up with dissing Brett we can probably find ten praising him

Hell John Madden even has erotic dreams about him!!!!

”I have absolutely No problem with Ohio State. It has a beautiful campus, and for a Junior College it has really great Academics.”

"Gentlemen and ladies, 'Those Who Stay Will Be Champions' is for you too. It's for every Michigan fan that's out there. When the going gets tough, you don't cut and run. It's not the Michigan way. If I heard it once from the old man, I heard it a thousand times -- when the going gets tough you find out who your real friends are, and that's why we must stay. Because there will be championships, and this staff and these kids will bring those championships here."

Comment

(JaiDee @ Sep. 25 2008,23:07) You guys convinced me, Favre is awesome

and all the cornerbacks in the league will agree with you too!

Google all the stats you want or just watch a few games ...... the guy is a hack, always has been, and will tarnish whatever 'legacy' he had in that crappy small town in wisconsin {?} by breaking something serious with the J-E-T-S while going 6-10 to end his career.

great comeback, Brett! and he thought he'd be welcomed back with open arms by the GB front office, be the returning hero and lead his team back to the NFC title game only to throw another pick when his team needs him most.... instead they just totally diss him [THEY knew the truth about this has-been, more than anyone typing up here] and he goes out like Napolean.

So funny, and can't even make a top 10 list!!

http://www.eagletribune.com/pusport....opstory

''But, when you talk about the top 10 greatest quarterbacks in NFL history, Brett Favre is not one of them.''

Agreed - great stuff, threads like this make my day!
                          Well whoop te do, some hack in Philly named Jim Martin, who ever the hell he is, says Favre isn't a top ten all time QB. Good idea to post the link to his article since it more or less supports your pov, but just because he says it, doesn't make it true.

IF, the Packers knew the truth about Favre, at least the truth in your eyes, that he is a has been, then why did they put a clause in his trade to the Jets, that if the Jets in turn traded him back into the NFC North, that they would have to pay the Packers three first round draft picks? If he is such a has been, then they should have been glad to have him playing for Minnesota or Chicago, or even Detroit. But apparently not. That clause indicates they were scared to death to have him playing for another NFC North team and have to face him twice a year. If he is such a has been, as you so myopically believe, then the Pack should have been glad to see Favre end up in a Bears or Viking uniform.
                          ― Henry Ward Beecher

Comment

(Rollo Tomasi @ Sep. 25 2008,12:40) My problem isn't that the guy can't play. he can. But he's fucked up his 'legend' status by whoring himself to the NFL for another year and another paycheck.

He could probably play competitively for another 4 years but for whom and for why?

Marino/Elway/Aikman will go out legends because of the extra seasons they didn't play.

It's all in the mind and not necessarily on the field!
                            I don't agree that he fucked up his legend status by continuing to play. For all we know, he may add to his legend in the next two seasons. The entire NFL, all pro sports for that matter, are more mercenary every year. Very few players play for just one team in their careers.
                            Even if he totally bombed with the Jets, he will still be considered an all time great. Did it tarnish the legacies of Unitas, Namath, etc, to keep playing for another team other than the ones they made their names with, by not playing as well in the twilights of their careers? I think not. When I think of Johnny U, the short stint of having a lightning bolt on his helmet rather than a horseshoe doesn't even enter my mind. Does anyone picture Joe Willie wearing a helmet with a Rams horn emblem on the side when they think back on his playing days? Heck no.

The Jets as much as I hate them have a lot of talent on the roster, and once Favre and the rest of the offense get totally comfortable with each other, watch out. Heck even knowing part of the offense only, he has a fine 98.7 QB rating so far this season. The Jets scheme is a lot different than the West Coast Offense he has played in his entire career in GB, so that he is doing that well so far has to be worrisome to the rest of the AFC East.

As for why should he keep playing, if he still has the skills for 4 more years, as with many players, it is for the love of the game, the rush of the competition. Heck, guys like Vinnie Testaverde played past 40, as did George Blanda, and no one questioned them or their motives. They still had some ability and at least one team wanted to pay them. If a team still wants to employ Favre and he wants to do it, who are any of us to begrudge him the right to continue?

I don't think we can compare him to Marino, Aikman, Elway or whomever, because the circumstances surrounding each one of them was different in some ways. Marino, as much as I loved him, was physically a shell of his former self. He had shoulder troubles his last season and lost the zip on the out routes. His knees had been bad for years and weren't going to get better. He would have loved to keep playing, because just like Favre he loved the thrill of competing, but his body would not let him. As for Aikman, he had had multiple concussions and one more could have turned him into a sloppering punchy for the rest of his life.
                            Elway still was comparatively healthy as I recall, his arm was still strong, but I believe he just lost the fire to continue playing after coming off back to back SB wins.
                            ― Henry Ward Beecher

Comment

6 TD passes this Sunday!

People might say he's overated. Maybe yes, maybe no.

But how can one say he shouldn't be playing? 6 TDs is not a get out of this league performance.

Comment

Favre's stat line from Sunday

B. Favre 24/34 289 6 1

Somehow I think he still has a couple of games left

Comment

Working...
                                X