Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• International School Teaching Jobs

Hi All

Looking for some knowledgeable folk to help point me in the right direction...

I'm a qualified Australian teacher who wants to get a job in Thailand (any location will do) at a reputable International School. I'm not interested in working at an English language college as I have a Bachelor of Education in Middle Schooling.

I'm keen to make a permanent move over to LOS but want to have a secure job to go to.

If anyone has done this before then I'd appreciate your advice via posting or just PM me.

Cheers.

tomscam
    dreaming about LOS again

The best guy for this advice doesnt log in here so much these days. When im in Guess Bar soon ill ask him.. he is very much involved in this area and may give some pointers. ( i dont have his phone number as i lost my phone a while back )

If your in LOS let me know and ill try to get hold of him.

Comment

Tomscan, A good place to start is to poke around Ajarn.com, a site about teaching in Thailand.

http://www.ajarn.com/

Good luck!

Comment

Hey, mate! Hope you can make the transition, it would be good to have you here.

I just went through this process (the guy TC is referring to is a close friend of mine and helped me greatly). If you're limiting your search to international schools, you're a few years too late with a B.Ed. You're almost certainly gonna need an M.Ed. You could suck balls at teaching, but if you have an M.Ed. you gain entree. That's the reality of the bureaucracy int'l schools in Thailand live in. Face, baby, all about da face.

The good news is if you're willing to scrape by with low-end teaching gigs while you start a course, you can often get in to an int'l school early before you finish. There are programs you can take right in BKK and cost a total of about 5 grand, USD, for a Masters from an accredited US uni.

Comment

Cheers for that info Farangbah.

I have sent the mentioned friend of yours a PM in order to gain more insight into getting an Int School job in LOS.

I've just joined an Int School Teacher recruitment firm so that I can check out the jobs advertised through them and also attend one of their job fairs in Melbourne in January. Been looking at the wages paid at the various schools. Int School of BKK offers the best I've seen so far, 52k p/a USD for a teacher with a BA, 70k p/a if you've got a MA. Many of the other schools however pay a lot less than this so might have to look at my options for getting further education.

BTW; which US Uni's and what specific MA's were you talking about when you mentioned that you can do a MA online for 5k? I've been looking at Australian MA of Ed in TESOL courses and you're looking at about 15k to do one of those. Never have looked into doing a MA from the US but if it's that much cheaper than Oz then why not.
          dreaming about LOS again

Comment

It's not online. The professors come to BKK. The guy you contacted is the local coordinator -- he'll fill you in.

And temper expectations. ISB is, perhaps, one of the top ten international schools in the world. You need serious credentials to get past the front door...

Comment

Good luck Tom, when you next over on holiday mate?
              Your got yer Mother in a whirl
              Shes not sure if your a Boy or a Girl

Comment

Hi Dave

Good to hear from you mate.

Not too sure when I'll be back in LOS. I was living in Saigon for 1 1/2 yrs and returned back to Oz in July. Had a great time exploring PI, Cambodia and Laos, tasting the LB delights of those places. Spent a few days in BKK on the way home and it was further impressed upon me how that place truly is the epicentre of the LB world.

I'm over Oz already and am looking to stitch up a job back in SE Asia (preferably in LOS) for next year.

Are you still in the UK or have you made the move to LOS?

BTW everyone. I've booked into a Job fair to be held in January. Fingers crossed.
                dreaming about LOS again

Comment

(tomscam @ Oct. 09 2012,07:28) BTW everyone. I've booked into a Job fair to be held in January. Fingers crossed.
                  Please tell me more about the Job Fair ?

Sounds interesting.

Comment

There's a few International School Recruitment companies around to choose from. The one that was recommended to me was Search Associates. http://www.searchassociates.com/
                    They have fairs all over the world, usually at the beginning of the year.
                    It costs about $200 to sign up and there's a bit of electronic paperwork involved before you can get registered.
                    dreaming about LOS again

Comment

Thanks for the information. I will have a good read.

Comment

Working...
                      X