X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tourists are NOT welcome ALL over the world

Mayor Luigi Brugnaro proposes a fine of about €500 (about $585) for Venice tourists who sit down in an undesignated spot. Will this latest effort to curb rampant tourism stand?

Notice the flooding in St. Mark's square? It's not because too many tourists on their floor. Fines are ridiculous. What they really want is for us to stop visiting them even if it means killing the golden goose that is their economy. Before this the Mayor proposed a $100 entry fee to their tourist grounds. Here in Hawaii the locals are seriously angry with tourist buses and visitors blocking the highway on the North Shore where the famous big wave surfing spots are located. They want to see and photograph the turtles. I thought it was a joke until I drove out there after a 30-year absence. The traffic is seriously bad and blocked. Doesn't even move at all so had to turn around. Tried to visit Haleiwa town which used to be a sleepy place full of farmers, hippies, and surfers. A mellow crowd now crowded out by tourist buses and tourists, tourists, tourists. Couldn't even find a place to park. Now I realize why people used to love to live out country side. So peaceful and slow with a highway only 2-lanes wide. Now I realize what a wonderful place it was to live Hawaii. Those sugar and pineapple plantation lands are soon going to be cleared with bulldozers and more homes will be built. Nobody has asked where our extra drinking water will come from. Our water supply is an aquifer formed after rainwater is filtered through porous lava rock over hundreds of years. Much like the Ogalalal Aquifer in the mainland USA's Midwest. There is currently a war over the Navy's jet fuel tanks in Pearl Harbor. They are enormous tanks built before WW2 underground to store ship, airplane, and whatnot fuels. Trouble is they are leaking and nobody knew until too late. Emergency tests of the soil under the tanks were run, and thankful both soil and water have shown no trace. As the increasing population demands more water for washing, cooking, showering, and watering their gardens there is a serious drain on our underground water supply such that if the top of the water table sinks below the level of the salty sea level there will be inflow of salty water into the water supply. This is what happened to Jamaica. No intelligent planning. In Hawaii nobody is willing to find a solution because cannot stop people from reproducing and /or moving to Paradise. Same problem with cars. Everybody has a right to drive a car. Big war over here with finding places to park even where people live. Too many monster homes and families with more than two cars. Silly people are buying too much stuff and using their garages as storage space or extra bedrooms. There's too too many people here and everywhere around the world. Thailand, Venice, and Ko Phi Phi included. As Antie Mame said in the Walt Kelley comic strip named POGO in 1970, "We have met the enemy, and he is us."

This scenario is pretty much apropos for most countries in the world. Tourism is destroying many countries. Was just in Portugal, a country that is not thought of as extremely crowded with tourists. However, all I can say is that there is only one word to describe it. MOBS. Wasted my time going there as you could not get to see much of anything due to the Mobs of mobs. Was in Hawaii last year and cannot believe how that place has changed. Wall to wall tourists with pricing to match. The north shore beaches are a joke. Can't imagine how polluted the beaches and towns are. Almost impossible to drive the one highway that goes around the outer limits of the island. I'm beginning to think that there are just too many damn people on this planet.

Comment

Now Europe is just filthy with migrants. When i went to France they just let them hang around everywhere selling crap and stealing from people.
      The Louvre was just a big crowd of migrants selling selfie sticks and trinkets with no control whatsoever.
      Where i live they don't just let anyone sell anything anywhere, even in Thailand it is not that easy.
      The Eiffel Tower was closed due to crime.

The biggest problem is all the people want to go to the same places as all other people.
      Half of Africa is now in Europe.

Canada is a huge place but we will soon be ruined by mass migration.
      We stoke everyone to live their own lifestyle and as a result nobody integrates, our society is crumbling because of this.
      There is no common interests in the country. The future will be sad, especially if the far left communist forces take over like it is looking.
      The far left fascists will do anything to take over, I don't think there is much hope.
      www.ladyboysthai.com

Comment

Originally posted by George Pill View Post
        http://www.cnn.com/travel/article/venice-sit-down-fine/

Notice the flooding in St. Mark's square? It's not because too many tourists on their floor. Fines are ridiculous. What they really want is for us to stop visiting them even if it means killing the golden goose that is their economy. Before this the Mayor proposed a $100 entry fee to their tourist grounds. Here in Hawaii the locals are seriously angry with tourist buses and visitors blocking the highway on the North Shore where the famous big wave surfing spots are located. They want to see and photograph the turtles. I thought it was a joke until I drove out there after a 30-year absence. The traffic is seriously bad and blocked. Doesn't even move at all so had to turn around. Tried to visit Haleiwa town which used to be a sleepy place full of farmers, hippies, and surfers. A mellow crowd now crowded out by tourist buses and tourists, tourists, tourists. Couldn't even find a place to park. Now I realize why people used to love to live out country side. So peaceful and slow with a highway only 2-lanes wide. Now I realize what a wonderful place it was to live Hawaii. Those sugar and pineapple plantation lands are soon going to be cleared with bulldozers and more homes will be built. Nobody has asked where our extra drinking water will come from. Our water supply is an aquifer formed after rainwater is filtered through porous lava rock over hundreds of years. Much like the Ogalalal Aquifer in the mainland USA's Midwest. There is currently a war over the Navy's jet fuel tanks in Pearl Harbor. They are enormous tanks built before WW2 underground to store ship, airplane, and whatnot fuels. Trouble is they are leaking and nobody knew until too late. Emergency tests of the soil under the tanks were run, and thankful both soil and water have shown no trace. As the increasing population demands more water for washing, cooking, showering, and watering their gardens there is a serious drain on our underground water supply such that if the top of the water table sinks below the level of the salty sea level there will be inflow of salty water into the water supply. This is what happened to Jamaica. No intelligent planning. In Hawaii nobody is willing to find a solution because cannot stop people from reproducing and /or moving to Paradise. Same problem with cars. Everybody has a right to drive a car. Big war over here with finding places to park even where people live. Too many monster homes and families with more than two cars. Silly people are buying too much stuff and using their garages as storage space or extra bedrooms. There's too too many people here and everywhere around the world. Thailand, Venice, and Ko Phi Phi included. As Antie Mame said in the Walt Kelley comic strip named POGO in 1970, "We have met the enemy, and he is us."
        The American government is too stupid to come in out of the rain. Many years ago Saudi Arabia decided to change their economy from only oil to other products including agriculture. Since there is very little rain in Saudi Arabia they constructed Desalinization Plants. These plants, that turn sea water into distilled water, allowed Saudi Arabia to not only provide abundant drinking water, but allowed them to build massive farms in the desert where they grow all of their own food. Saudi Arabia now exports distilled water and farm products to other Middle Eastern countries. The US, with huge oceans on both borders, has not built one distillation plant. California is becoming a desert but will not even consider these plants due to their own stupidity. Hawaii is surrounded by ocean water. As such, their state government must be uber stupid.

Comment

The world population was between 3.3 and 3.6 billion people in the 1960's. In the late 1960's some people started of evocating overpopulation and its disastrous consequences. Today, according to a website dealing with the world population, we are 7.6 billion people in the world. More than twice as much people need air to breath, food to eat or survive, and water to drink, but also to wash our bodies and wash our stuff. A growing part of the population can now use natural resources for more than just surviving. In the 1970's I learnt at school that the challenge in Main China consisted in supplying every one bowl of rice every day. The disaster they felt like avoiding was a population that would reach 1 billion people since they were already over 500 million people. Now China is able to do it with 1.3 billion inhabitants. They don't only stay in the country side trying to provide their daily share of rice, they also developed industries starting with industries Western countries didn't want (those dangerous for workers and the most polluting industries).

Ex third world countries made it possible that a middle class appeared and could consume as the Western middle class : use high quantities of energy to heat their houses (or use AC), burn gas for the cars, go on holidays, waste energy, food and water. Sooner or later, resources will start missing. It started with the first oil crisis in 1973 (but this crisis was not a shortage crisis), it's crucial with the lack of water and economic development in Africa, starving people and migrants. Migrants are not only starving people. They are also people looking for more freedom or welfare.
          In Europe, we can see migrants coming from Africa ("starving"), from countries like Syria, Irak, Kurdistan and Afghanistan, looking for freedom and a little bit of welfare. As far as I know, the people in Paris come from Bulgaria. They look for welfare and want to develop their business easily. They don't realize that we have rules against dumping, especially we don't accept dumping from people not paying their share of taxes and they are not allowed to stay in the Schengen Area since they come from countries that are not parts of the Schengen area. Another part of European citizens look like foreigners (either dark skinned or middle eastern or northern African types) since they are the children of migrants who were legally accepted from the 1960s to the 1980s or 1990s. Nowadays, children of Muslim immigrants from Northern Africa are opposed to the coming of (Muslim or Christian) migrants from Syria. Those who were looking for an improvement of their welfare reject those who need freedom and Human Rights.

We were born in the right countries maybe a little bit too late after the right time to live a prefect life. We too can see and suffer from the effects of overpopulation. Using potable water becomes more and more difficult. We start having shortages of potable water, even in Europe (mainly in agriculture), but this is what happens in Hawaii. We see more and more new tourists from countries like Russia, China, or even Iran or Malaysia every time we go to Thailand. But these people worked, had an income and gained the right to have holidays in Thailand exactly as we did. I guess that the increase of Thai revenue based on the increase of tourists is at the origin of the increase of the ST price in Thailand (although the demand of ladyboy sex tourists might not be increasing too). I don't want to complain though. I spend more of ly time in commercial malls that were described in anticipation movies in the early 1970s as pieces of hell. I wish I could spend more time on empty beaches. Actually, when I find one, I am on a trip and can't stay there and if I can I get bored rapidly. In some sense I adapted to the new situation and start accepting and finding happiness in what should be hell. We need to share the planet with other people. As a philosopher said "hell is other people".

Comment

Working...
          X