X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the meaning of "Soi"?

I have never been to Thailand. What is the meaning of 'Soi" and "Sukumvit"? (I can't help it... I pronounce Soi in my head the French way "Soo-aa" and I know it's wrong)
    I was trying to figure it out from google maps and I have an idea but still find it a bit confusing. When you say Soi 20 Sukumvit 18 what does it mean? I am sure Sukumvit is only in BKK (?) referring to an area (?) Does Soi mean "alley"?

Soi means street essentially.
    Sometimes a Soi is an alley but usually it is a street.
    No matter where you are if you said "what soi is this" they would tell you the street name.

Sukhumvit is a main thoroughfare in Bangkok.
    Sukhumvit Soi 18, means that it is on 18th Street off of Sukhumvit Road.
    This is so you know what intersection or area you are near as Soi 18 alone would not tell you where to go even with a street number.
    Whereas Silom Soi 18 would tell you that it is 18th street off of Silom road for example.

In this map Sukhumvit Road is the green line and you can see the streets after it.
    Generally in Bangkok you want to stay in the Sukhumvit area around Nana Plaza.
    Nana Plaza is the center of the ladyboy universe.

Attached Files
    www.ladyboysthai.com

Comment

As always thanks for the thorough and detailed info Crag. Are you also in Canada?

Comment

Originally posted by Tropicalz View Post
        As always thanks for the thorough and detailed info Crag. Are you also in Canada?

Yup I'm another Canuck.
        www.ladyboysthai.com

Comment

That's why you have good taste -eh?

Comment

There is also a Sukhumvit Road in Pattaya, so like in many Canadian/US cities, you can have road/streets (or Sois) with the same name in different places.

Click on the links below and discover how the Forums work
            Membership Levels
            The Rookie Thread
            New to The Ladyboy Forums? Introduce yourself!
            Old Members Must Reset Their Passwords

Comment

Thanks RX.. I kinda figured... the thing is in BKK all the streets leading to Sukhumvit are also called Soi Sukhumvit any number on google maps that is why I was a bit confused.

Comment

Notice all the odd Sois are north of Sukhumvit and the even numbers are south of Sukhumvit. The street layout is so confusing because they were laid out before cars were invented.

Comment

Thanks George yeah it appears that way on the map makes it easier to to look for something

Comment

Nana Entertainment Plaza where the Ladyboy heaven is located on all 4 floors is also known as NEP and located on Soi 4 off Sukhumvit. The old Nana Hotel is across the street if you need a place to excite yourselves. The Nana Skytrain Station is located at Soi 8 where the On8 Hotel is. I like that I can exit the front door right into the escalator taking me up to the ticket floor and hike up another floor to the train platform that will take you Mochit station which is where you walk into the Chatuchak Flea Market. Must NOT miss this weekend event. Everything and everybody from all over the world is there and lots of food. Look for the tented eating area in the back where lots of boiled big fat shrimp are sold with delicious white rice. Look for the baked pork skins nearby where the hairy guy stuffs your selection in a clear plastic bag and pours in some hot sauce like you've never tasted before. The Skytrain is a really good transportation vehicle with walkways above the traffic. Really surprised me they build such a modern convenience is a poor country. Gotta walk into a skytrain. It is sooooo cold it will make your glasses frost up when you exit. Feels so good I wish they would have masseuses inside. Yep, they got them in Chatuchak Market. Skytrain will also take you to Patong where King's Cross 3 Ladyboy bar is. Come on over. It is Heaven on Earth. God, I'm getting HUNGRY.

Comment

Working...
                    X