Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cost of Living Bangkok / Pattaya

Hi Guys,

I am looking at my options for living 6 - 12 months in either Thailand / Philippines.

Just wondering what the curent cost of a unit / hotel long tern in Thailand is.

Also expected monthly cost of living there.

Never been to Thailand !!!

Thanks.

bugeye29 - wow, planning to move there without having visited yet!

I would strongly suggest you visit first before thinking about moving there.

There is a lot of information in the Life and Living in Thailand forum . The generalities are still valid - but the costs are not.

It would be less expensive to rent an apartment or condo instead of staying at a hotel. If you are willing to live outside the main areas of Bangkok, the monthly rental expense for a one bedroom apartment would be something like 10-15,000 Baht a month. However this doesn't include utilities or furnishings.

If you wanted to live in a popular area like Sukhumvit near the night spots - you would be looking at significantly higher rents - up to 10x more, if you're looking at an upscale condo.

Click on the links below and discover how the Forums work
    Membership Levels
    The Rookie Thread
    New to The Ladyboy Forums? Introduce yourself!
    Old Members Must Reset Their Passwords

Comment

• girish
      girish commented
      Editing a comment
      Superb information although old but still correct

Did not want to start a new post, but to those of you who are HAPPY FATHER'S DAY !! A thankless job where the pay is kisses and smiles.
    TEXASMAC

Comment

I ENVY you all so much !!!!!!!!!
      TEXASMAC

Comment

Thanks for the reply RX,

Moving there without not having been there before is not an issue if I dont like it I will go to the Philippines or somewhere else.

I have had a good read of previous posts about living in Thailand I was more after current living costs. Thanks for giving me a guide I can do some planning on them.

I am not really looking at having to fit out a unit at this stage just rent somewhere I can see what it is like before I commit.

I will keep you posted.

Comment

bugeye, On the Pattaya - Funtown website they have a Real Estate tab. They show a lot of different homes and apartments.
          TEXASMAC

Comment

Thanks for that I will have a look.

Comment

easier to find a good deal in pattaya, but bangkok is a better place to live

hard to beat bangkok for quality of life and apartment for the cost, to bad the visa is so shitty: http://guysnightlife.com/visas-in-Southeast-Asia
              For more ladyboy talk and travel tips check out https://guysnightlife.com
              For all things trans check out LadyboyWiki

Comment

What's the longest tourist visa one can get? 3 months then visit another country next door and restart the whole thing? If you're interested in a retirement visa you will need to keep a certain bank balance at all time. I don't like this as they might not let your withdraw the whole thing if you want to leave for good. Political instability is the number one reason anyone would not want to settle down there. Thailand might one day say, "All foreigners must forfeit property, businesses, and rent deposits and get out!" Kinda like what Cuba did.

Comment

It appears that unless you are from Korea, Brazil, Peru, Argentina or Chile you get a 30 day tourist visa on arrival or in advance from Canada, USA etc.
                  You can get an extension up to 7 days and after that you must leave. You can re-enter the country again as much as you want but doing visa runs over land appear to limit you to 15 day visas now. However it appears Canada and USA et al, get 30 visas at land borders too. Little confused on that one.
                  Does not appear there is anymore 60 day visas, just the 90 day tourist visas for some countries.
                  If you want to stay more than 30 days on one visa, you must apply for a non-immigrant visa.

http://www.thaiembassy.com/thailand/...urist-visa.php

UK, USA, Canada, Japan, France, Germany, Italy, Russia, Macau, Hong Kong, Laos, Vietnam will receive 30 days in both airport or land border.
                  Korea, Brazil, Peru, Argentina and Chile will get 90 days in both airport and land border.

30-day Visa Entries Now Limited to 2 Border runs have been cut short due to the very recent change in rules regarding overland entry by Thai immigration. Foreigners under the Visa Exemption List who are entering Thailand via border posts at Cambodia, Laos, Myanmar, and Malaysia without securing a prior visa will now be granted ...

New Rules for Visa on Arrival

30-day Visas now Down to 15
                  Border runs have been cut short due to the very recent change in rules regarding overland entry by Thai immigration. Foreigners entering Thailand via border posts at Cambodia, Laos, Myanmar, and Malaysia without securing a prior visa will now be granted only 15 days of stay in the country as opposed to the previous Visa on Arrival, which was valid for 30 days.

According to a spokesman for the Thai Immigration Bureau, the new regulation was created to encourage foreigners to secure the proper visas in advance from a Royal Thai Embassy prior to their arrival. The new rule will also limit the amount of back-to-back visa runs being made by foreigners to extend their stay.

However, this change only applies to visitors who have not obtained a visa beforehand, and are entering from the border by land. Those who arrive at the airport without a prior visa will continue to receive a 30-day stamp. Extensions at Thai Immigration after the Visa on Arrival has expired remain at 7 days, after which you must leave the country or pay the penalty and other sanctions for overstaying the visa.

The only exception to the new regulation will be Malaysian passport holders traveling from Malaysia, as they will continue to receive the 30-day Visa on Arrival. Immigration authorities further clarified that there is no longer a limit on the number of times a foreigner may enter Thailand within the days allowed on the Visa on Arrival. The former provision stating that visitors cannot stay for more than 90 days within six months has already been dropped.
                  www.ladyboysthai.com

Comment

as far as budgets go that is all up to each person

if you want to rent a decent room, eat good food (but not the most expensive in town) and dabble only in freelancers then spending $1k-$1200 a month is very doable

if you want to go to overpriced bars, buy overpriced drinks, buy ladies drinks and pay barfines then the sky is the limit
                    For more ladyboy talk and travel tips check out https://guysnightlife.com
                    For all things trans check out LadyboyWiki

Comment

I still conserve this expense note it dates back to 05 / 2005 when 1 Euro = 50 Baht

Buffet breakfast at one french bakery at a shopping mall = 75 Baht.

Boat tickets to Kohlarn = 20 Baht x 2 = 40 Baht

APEX Hotel one night = 480 Baht

Buffet dinner at APEX Hotel = 150 Baht

3 beers + 1 tequila at beer bar = 160 Baht

Bar Fine + LT service 150 Baht + 700 Baht = 850 Baht
                      Total = 1790 Baht / 36 Euro / 22 pounds !!!!

nowadays I need to spend at least 3 times this amount to get the same quality of service.

Comment

Working...
                      X