Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

(stogie bear @ Aug. 09 2007,20:39) Any degree will do, though! Some very wll qualified people that I know have special arrangements with the universities so they will stay with them despite the poor pay and insulting housing allowance (which are set by the government and emulated by even many of the private colleges.)
    I have a BS in Engineering(Purdue Univ), have taught multi-day classes(heat flow/energy calculations) to numerous sales/marketing representatives of my prior employer's corporation and have taught scuba diving for 27 years(now full time in Hawaii) so I'm used to being in front of a group. A TS LB friend at a Khon Kaen University says I should be able to get a Univ job with ease if that is what I want. My "american/western" thinking still has me wondering that these places really will hire "warm bodies" rather than a board certified teacher. However, I do remember that a few of our undergrad classes at PU had young TA's (teaching assistants) running much of the class....so maybe it's not a far reach to think Thailand will accept the "non-teaching" degree individual.

Working in the dive industry in a community near the ocean might be a nice alternative to the classroom. Better yet, trim my expenses and not work at all and live off numerous savings/investments.........

One final question, does a person really need a TOFL or TESL certificate to teach English? For $300-$500, these can be obtained via an on line certificate program.
    ....so,  you're really a guy?..............  

Comment

One final question, does a person really need a TOFL or TESL certificate to teach English?  
       I assume this is a joke as the TEFL or the equivilent is a huge running joke in Thailand. You do NOT need this Mickey Mouse certificate to teach in Thailand. In fact it won't be considered when you apply for a job. You may as well bring along your first aid certificate from high school!

If you are clean and tidy and have a degree you can work within 24 hours of landing at the airport - I personally guarantee it.

Comment

I have a BS in Engineering (Purdue Univ), have taught multi-day classes(heat flow/energy calculations) to numerous... ya de ya de ya!
        All you need is any degree and you'll be working. The degree doesn't matter so long as you can verify it's authenticity. Work experience doesn't mean much here. You'll pick it up as you go along as every school is diffeent.

Comment

I sort of had that feeling about these questions I asked.....thanks for indulging me and not laughing to hard.......
          ....so,  you're really a guy?..............  

Comment

Trust me, he's laughing at all of us...

I was giving some thought to teaching part-time just to occupy some time...but if it ain't gonna be fun maybe I'm better off remaining on the other side...
            some of the girls tell me I'm a good student...
            "It's not Gay if you beat them up afterwards."  --- Anon

Comment

I'm sorry if it seems that way but I'm really not. I take this issue very seriously and it's something that I know almost everything about. I wouldn't waste my time recycling my old stories if I didn't think it would help somebody down the line.

I actually DID enjoy teaching and I was very good at it, too! You just have to have your head screwed on straight and know the rules... then it's a great job.

My best times teaching were for the worst companies I worked for!

Comment

Here's another anecdote...

When I first started teaching I tried my hardest to organise and discipline the class and get through my lesson plans for the day. Once I was so frustrated at failing to accomplish these goals I walked up behind a student (about 13) and grabbed his ruler and broke it by trying to flick his ear with it.

He burst into tears and I felt very ashamed of myself. (I still feel bad about that incident to this day.) I confided with a friend of mine at the end of the day and he told me the truth about teaching...

He said "be popular with the kids and you will be popular with their parents. If you are popular with them then the school will renew your contract!"

That's all I needed to know! I suddenly 'got it!' From that day forward I just waltzed into class and had a laugh... The kids loved me and so did the schools...

Education in Thailand has nothing to do with being educated!  

Comment

(stogie bear @ Aug. 11 2007,04:34)
                  I'm sorry if it seems that way but I'm really not.
                  Just tongue-in-cheek SB...and I do appreciate your advice here...I seriously was (and maybe still am) giving some thought to teaching part-time...so your advice and experience is very welcome...

Comment

(stogie bear @ Aug. 10 2007,14:41) Education in Thailand has nothing to do with being educated!  

considering that the majority of graduating high school students in CAN'T EVEN READ THEIR OWN DIPLOMA i dare say this has become a global phenomen.

it used to be the rich get richer and the poor get poorer. now that also applies to the (children of the) smart get smarter and the (children of the uneducated and/or) dumb get dumber.

but still i'm not dissuaded from thinking Professor Thaibound could benefit from some immersion in thai culture through time at a thai university. and as little as it might pay to teach, i think it'd beat paying to learn. so...

is there a university where ladyboys go to study acting, to better learn how to truly love visiting professors?

Comment

(stogie bear @ Aug. 11 2007,04:41) I confided with a friend of mine at the end of the day and he told me the truth about teaching...

He said "be popular with the kids and you will be popular with their parents. If you are popular with them then the school will renew your contract!"

That's all I needed to know! I suddenly 'got it!' From that day forward I just waltzed into class and had a laugh... The kids loved me and so did the schools...

Education in Thailand has nothing to do with being educated!
                      stogie bear --->

SB has stated it perfectly......the key to success in any classroom is the kids have to like you. If they don't, you might as well forget the idea of ever working in a school. I always think of myself as an entertainer when I walk into a classroom. I'm on stage so to speak.

Much of what I teach in the states is Special education for both MR students and students with behavioral issues. The latter are very difficult because they are so pissed off at the world and have little trust of anyone and to walk in and have to develop a relationship with these kids is a challenge to say the least. I for one use Lifesaver candies to build friendships with kids and go by a nickname (Chu Chu), kids are largely controlled by their stomachs, give them food of any kind and they will let their guards down a little bit and they hate the formality of sir names. They love calling teachers by either nicknames or by their first names. Once you get the relationship with the kids, the parents are with you too. The kids go home and are talking about the cool teacher they have, the parents see happy kids and your the new star of the school. If the kids are grumpy and pissed off, so are the parents.

I have found that as an American in Thailand, kids love Americans and give them Lifesavers or any little treat and they adore you more. Thai adults act nervous around me, maybe because it's the height of me or just the fact that they don't understand what I'm saying but again, I think once the kids go home happy and say things about the American teacher they have, things should go ok......I'll just make sure I stock up on Lifesavers.....haha

SB has made a lot of comments and he stated that he knows what he's talking about, trust me, he does. I have been a teacher for 7-8 years and have heard stories both good and bad and he is right on track with his comments. This reason alone is why I read his postings so carefully.

Have a great weekend,

Nhscotsman

Comment

(divertwo @ Aug. 10 2007,11:48)  A TS LB friend at a  Khon Kaen University says I should be able to get a Univ job with ease if that is what I want.  
                        Hey Diver, Are you talking about teaching English or teaching engineering type subjects (in English)?

Comment

Sorry SB, but there are International Schools that pay 30,000 to 40,000 US dollars a month with a 1,000 dollar a month housing allowance My friend Joe lived in thailand fo 6 years did all of the shit teaching for 30,000 or 40,000 baht a month at high schools and Tamasat University.

Joe came back to the states in 2002 got his teaching certificate and had to work locally for 1 year as part of the program he was in. Joe visited the International Schools job fair one of several held each year in North America, he took a job in Korea since all of the major schools in thailand had filled vacancys in the job fair the month before.

The job in korea paid around 3,000 us a month plus a housing allowance and bonus. He was given a 1200 dollar arrival bonus at the airport upon arrival.

Joe spent 2 years in Korea all the while making contacts at International School events held thru out Asia. last year Joe took a job at a school in Nontaburi which paid 30,000 a year plus 1,000 a month housing allowance as well as bonus money for extra classes. This doesn't include the health and retirement benefits paid as well. Joe and the head of school/ owner didn't get along well, he is working at the big International School in Minburi started there this summer. If I know Joe probly a better pay package than the last school.

Also a friend works at the American International School in Yangong she went from 35,000 a year to over 40,000 when she got her masters degree. She also gets 10 percent of her salary put into a retirement fund a free ticket home each year and a free checkup at Bumragrund each year.

The salaries in thailand at the good schools can also be geared not to drop as the dollar has. In fact Joe wanted the dollar to drop more because his salary increase each time.

So believe it are not there are some good paying jobs out there teaching. One International Shool in Singapore pays over 80,000 us because they have no housing.Also tax free for the first 75,000 us except fpr social security.

Comment

(moe666 @ Aug. 12 2007,03:40) Sorry SB, but there are International Schools that pay 30,000 to 40,000 US dollars a month with a 1,000 dollar a month housing allowance
                            $40,000 USD a month ? ? ?

Think you made a mistake mate...

Comment

(moe666 @ Aug. 12 2007,02:40) Sorry SB, but there are International Schools that pay 30,000 to 40,000 US dollars a month with a 1,000 dollar a month housing allowance My friend Joe lived in thailand fo 6 years did all of the shit teaching for 30,000 or 40,000 baht a month at high schools and Tamasat University.

Joe came back to the states in 2002 got his teaching certificate and had to work locally for 1 year as part of the program he was in. Joe visited the International Schools job fair one of several held each year in North America, he took a job in Korea since all of the major schools in thailand had filled vacancys in the job fair the month before.

The job in korea paid around 3,000 us a month plus a housing allowance and bonus. He was given a 1200 dollar arrival bonus at the airport upon arrival.

Joe spent 2 years in Korea all the while making contacts at International School events held thru out Asia. last year Joe took a job at a school in Nontaburi which paid 30,000 a year plus 1,000 a month housing allowance as well as bonus money for extra classes. This doesn't include the health and retirement benefits paid as well. Joe and the head of school/ owner didn't get along well, he is working at the big International School in Minburi started there this summer. If I know Joe probly a better pay package than the last school.

Also a friend works at the American International School in Yangong she went from 35,000 a year to over 40,000 when she got her masters degree. She also gets 10 percent of her salary put into a retirement fund a free ticket home each year and a free checkup at Bumragrund each year.

The salaries in thailand at the good schools can also be geared not to drop as the dollar has. In fact Joe wanted the dollar to drop more because his salary increase each time.

So believe it are not there are some good paying jobs out there teaching. One International Shool in Singapore pays over 80,000 us because they have no housing.Also tax free for the first 75,000 us except fpr social security.
                              Blimey and I thought my spelling was bad - lets hope Moe has been on the beers tonight and its not as a result of badly spent education

But his sentiment is consistent with guys I know who work in true "international" schools - they are earning good money with housing, work permits etc and everything is above board - however they are true teachers in every sense of the word.

Cheers
                              Mardhi

Comment

Mardi,
                                when I'm in BKK next month I may stop and see you and maybe you can give me some names of teachers you know who are teaching in International Schools. Maybe I can touch base with a couple and get some pointers to get a job teaching.

Nhscotsman

Comment

Working...
                                X