Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

(baroncarlton @ Aug. 21 2007,23:35) Im moving to Thailand in November and this thread has been most helpful,thanks to all that contributed.However i am slightly upset that i will require a shave and a haircut.Are you sure that the Che Guevara look won't go down too well in Thailand.
    With my cutting my mustache off, it will be beneficial to me in 2 ways.....one for a job and 2nd, I promised my Thai GF I would cut it off (for a short time) when I moved to Thailand and I leave for BKK in 14 days, so off it will go.....UGH!

Nhscotsman

Comment

As everyone said, get the non-immigrant visa in USA. Get a One Year Multiple Re-entry
      If you do not get it in USA, you will need to get it in Asia - and they will only issue a 90 Day single entry visa and will be a lot more thorough looking at the paperwork.

Appearance is everything (and substance nothing). Shave, buy a suit, wear good shoes. Learn how to Wai (there are 'rules' to the Wai). Be polite, never cut someone off when talking, etc... Thai introductions/negotiations can drag on for hours...be patient.

For paperwork, bring EVERYTHING you can think of, and make copies. Never give out originals.
      "Snick, You Sperm Too Much" - Anon

Comment

ps. Don't trust thaivisa their advice is often dead wrong, look at the consulate websites or give the consulate a call.

Comment

(Snick @ Aug. 29 2007,10:55) Appearance is everything  (and substance nothing). Shave, buy a suit, wear good shoes.
          Well, that lets me out...ran out of wood last winter and burned my suit and shoes...

Didn't keep me warm when I wore them either...
          "It's not Gay if you beat them up afterwards."  --- Anon

Comment

(Snick @ Aug. 29 2007,10:55) As everyone said, get the non-immigrant visa in USA. Get a One Year Multiple Re-entry
            If you do not get it in USA, you will need to get it in Asia - and they will only issue a 90 Day single entry visa and will be a lot more thorough looking at the paperwork.
            I went to Boston to Thai Consulate General Office and they flatly refused to give me One Year Multiple Re-entry non-immigrant visa. I spent an hour discussing it with the girl and I tried giving her the reasons that I was researching buying a business and purchasing property as to retire. They said without a letter from a company on company letterhead, NO ONE gets the visa. She did give me a 6 month multiple entry tourist visa (I had a 60 day one) and she said I could get 3 extensions with this new visa. She even tried to do an extension on the old visa I had, but it required airline info and it wouldn't go through.

Before accepting the 6 month one, I excused myself, telling I had to use the restroom and called Washington and was told the exact same thing. When I pushed the subject with them on the phone, they threatened to pull my current visa and I just dropped it all together with them

But the One Year Multiple Re-entry non-immigrant visa was FLATLY refused by all parties I spoke too, but I do have a longer one than I did have and the woman in Boston who I spoke to gave me additional insight.

I have dress clothes as you all suggested and the hair will be non-gray and the facial hair will be gone.

I also have both degrees pack and multiple unopened copies of the college transcripts as well as letters of recommendation. So I should be all set!

Nhscotsman

Comment

If you have a tourist visa, you will not be able to get a work permit. At some point you will have to leave Thailand and get a non-immigrant visa from a nearby country (Penang, Malaysia is a good spot).

Sounds like they have really tightened up the rules on biz visas. I'm sure its doing wonders for their economy.

Comment

(Snick @ Aug. 29 2007,11:20) If you have a tourist visa, you will not be able to get a work permit. At some point you will have to leave Thailand and get a non-immigrant visa from a nearby country (Penang, Malaysia is a good spot).

Sounds like they have really tightened up the rules on biz visas. I'm sure its doing wonders for their economy.
                Now according to the girl who was in Boston (she was a sweetheart and tried every which way to get me the visa), she said if I got hired, the school could help me get the visa. She told me not to screw around roaming Thailand as a tourist, but to find a job in short order and get going on the paperwork.

Washington was miserable trying even talk to them. They kept saying No.................No.....................No...... ......and I told them "Look I need this visa or I'm going to lose a lot in research and funding and it's crucial" and I went on and on and the guy said "If I hear one more word from you, other than Thank You and goodbye, your current visa will be withdrawn and you won't have to worry about going to Thailand" So it was not a good discussion.

So I went back to the desk and spoke to her. She knows by comments from other people, getting visa is much easier in the states versus in Thailand but this letter was crucial and the ONLY way she could issue the visa. This is when she said maybe she could piggyback my current 2 month visa with a 6 month one, but they refused it because of the airplane flight info.

SB suggested things to tell them and I drove the 3 hours to Boston thinking it would look more urgent if I was there in person, but it didn't do any good. I'm almost afraid what SB's comments will be regarding the results...haha. He's such a good guy and knows so much about the whole process. I couldn't do any more than what I did. The girl in Boston said to call from Thailand if I had a problem but she would be limited with me in Thailand and her in Boston.

SB said he knew people in BKK that could probably help me and I suspect I am going to owe him a bar fine and more before I'm done with this.

Nhscotsman

Comment

(Snick @ Aug. 29 2007,11:20) If you have a tourist visa, you will not be able to get a work permit. At some point you will have to leave Thailand and get a non-immigrant visa from a nearby country (Penang, Malaysia is a good spot).

I guess I'll have to find a job, grab my Thai GF and head for Malaysia to get the paperwork for the visa. I knew this would be a bumpy process.....nothing ever goes smoothly!

My GF will be crucial I would suspect for her Thai speaking abilities.

Nhscotsman

Comment

The process in Penang is very easy, IF YOU HAVE THE INVITATION LETTER + Paperwork
                    You take the 6am flight, get to the consulate before noon to hand in the paperwork, pick it up the next day and fly back in the evening. You do not have to bring your GF to Penang.

Cost is about 8,000 pp for the flight and 4,000 fees + a bit more for food/lodging/taxi

Comment

SB said he knew people in BKK that could probably help me and...
                      I do and I have offered this assistance many times over the years and if you actually do accept the help you'll be the first! Most people don't want to jump through the hoops.

Comment

(stogie bear @ Aug. 29 2007,12:47)
                        SB said he knew people in BKK that could probably help me and...
                        I do and I have offered this assistance many times over the years and if you actually do accept the help you'll be the first! Most people don't want to jump through the hoops.

Chances are I will take you up on ANY help you can suggest. I will contact you once I get settled in Bangkok around the 24th of September. I'll be in Thailand as you know on the 12th, but won't do much until the end of the month.

SB, as I have told you and the others on this forum......Thanks for EVERYTHING you people have suggested.

Nhscotsman

Comment

(ziggystardust @ Aug. 09 2007,10:08) Soi 62, where May has an apartment, is about 7,000 / month, all included (internet, phone, TV), fully furnished. Brand new apartment. Many foreigners.

Around the Universities, there are always flats for about 3,500 / month, very clean, internet, blah, blah.

These are 1 room type places, but that gives you an idea. It's not so bad to look just adjacent to Universities (er, because the students nearby). And, they always hover in that price range, and are extremely convenient (little shops, eating places, laundry, ..., all at University prices).
                          Hi,
                          Where is it exactly where this apartment is that you mentioned? I am in Bangkok now and in the process of apartment shopping/searching. My GF is living outside the city where her job is with another GF, so she's set. Now I just need to ind someplace to hang my hat. If anyone has suggests of a good short term rental please let me know. Internet is a must though.
                          Thanks,
                          Nhscotsman

Comment

How long do you need a place for?

Comment

Hi,
                              Need a place short term until I find someplace to work, then I'll do long term....I'm not fussy about location, mor einto the cleanliness of the place and internet is a MUST.
                              Nhscotman

Comment

(stogie bear @ Aug. 10 2007,19:11)
                                One final question, does a person really need a TOFL or TESL certificate to teach English?  
                                 I assume this is a joke as the TEFL or the equivilent is a huge running joke in Thailand. You do NOT need this Mickey Mouse certificate to teach in Thailand. In fact it won't be considered when you apply for a job. You may as well bring along your first aid certificate from high school!
                                  I have spent hours and hours looking and reading up on this subject (stickman etc), so that TEFL is a "joke" then Stogie?  
                                Your got yer Mother in a whirl
                                Shes not sure if your a Boy or a Girl

Comment

Working...
                                X