Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maya Beach closed for 2 more years

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/t...ate/index.html

Very beautiful island. Never visited there. Seems you had to make reservations on a private boat from Ko Phi Phi island. Now too late. KPP is now having a water shortage problem. Too many tourists. Waters just outside MB must be dangerous with strong currents. Can you see how deep blue the water is colored? Means deep waters, strong currents, and drownings. Wear that orange life vest for sure on any boat trip or know at all times where they are stored.

They say they will need to close it to give time for the coral to regrow back. Not! It takes centuries for this to happen!

I had been lucky to go there during my last trip in Thailand. However, I can't imagine local tour operators without proposing new trips to visitors in KPP.

MB1.JPG

Last edited by P&G; 05-11-2019, 07:05 PM.

Comment

Money talks and BS walks. I'm sure you can get to Maya Beach. Be prepared to bribe any boat cops. Would be fantastic to book a boat with all your friends and have a buffet food fest for 3 days in tents. Live like a Thai king. Have your own private moonlight party. Maybe the real reason for shutting down this beach is to make it more exclusive to the rich tourists or big shot corporate gatherings where there are no cops and no laws. Baccanale.!

Still it's a fantastic beach. Looks like Hawaii only better. Wowow!!! You lucky to have gone there and gotten in. Now I have read there are water shortage problems in KPP. Gonna get more expensive and harder for everybody to book a stay at this Gilligan's Island retreat. Paradise.

BTW. Coral grows very very slowly. Like as fast as your fingernail. An inch a year.

Comment

No, they do have problems with tourists' pollution in this National park.

KH.JPG

Next is Mosquito island. It has been closed for years since scuba divers had damaged corals around the island. Mosquitoe island is one of the 8 islands of KPP archipelago.

MI.JPG

Comment

Wonder if fishermen are dynamiting the habitats. Filipinos love to blanket the reef full of little fish and harvest everything including the babies. They succumb to bends because they dive for hours with a pump and air hoses. After that there are no fishes to replenish the population. All gone. Utter stupidity. No food, no jobs, no money after that. Go visit Puerto Gallera. All the coral is destroyed into little pieces all over the ocean floor. Dynamited to extinction. Here in Honolulu a popular kayaker and kayak builder was arrested when authorities spotted a lone boat anchored of Sandy Beach. Found gallons of bleach and plastic sheets. Lots of coral are dying from this practice. Remember his name. M Rosa. Very athletic waterman. After this he name was mud. Never saw another kayak with his name on it. Was fined heavily. Shamed to oblivion.

Stay away from Puerto Gallera. Full of unfriendly criminal type tourists. The girls are young, dumb, and no brains. Speaka da English but don't even understand what they agreed on. Worst part is I'm supposed to leave my money with the hotel staff in their safe. Never trust any Filipino. Left the next day. After the return boat ride I am greeted by a pesky beggar idiot who follows me everywhere even though I flip my finger at him and tell him to scram. I found a restaurant and order breakfast. He seated himself across my table. I order, and he does the same. I finish and ask for the recibo. I draw a line with my hand saying I pay for my meal. He can pay for himself. He makes a surprised facial expression and makes a crybaby act he has no money. I paid my bill and left. His problemo. The waiter said I should pay. I also told him his problem. Bus arrives and I leave.

Too many tourists and hungry mouths is the root of oversold destinations in Thailand and everywhere around the world. It has been reported that the Navy had to deliver fresh water to Ko Larn off Pattaya. Gonna be doing that often from now on. Still got their rubbish dump problem. Here in Honolulu we have a garbage to energy producing plant that makes electricity by burning trash. Paper, glass, and bottles are put into blue bins distributed at every home. Doesn't work. Now find that it's better to just burn everything. Reminds me of Chairman Mao's orders to save metal and recycle pots and pans. Laughable failure. Very few new pots and pans of inferior quality was produced. Real backward country. This island of Oahu coninues to produce garbage faster than the power plant can burn. Our sewage plants have failed several time spilling into the ocean. Happened right here in Waikiki. One drunk guy fell into the polluted harbor at the end of Ala Wai Boat harbor and died from MRSA flesh-eating bacteria that antibiotics could not stop. Really need to build another garbage burner facility right next to our current one. Excess goes to the Waimanalo Gulch landfill. Already a heavy rainfall washed away the garbage and our beaches were covered with medical wastes, dirty syringes and needles. Hauuuuuuna!

I earlier suggested someone with expertise build a garbage cremator on Ko Tao and burn the mess into clean smoke and ash. No experts? No money? Government don't care. Try offer a westerner to come to Thailand and build several burners in exchange for free Thai citizenship, permanent government job, and government financing. Nobody's going to invest their own money in a corrupt country. The solution to rubbish problems are known and can work. Just need to sit down and think intelligently about how to do things correctly. Didn't happen when they widened Pattaya Beach with new sand. How come nobody thought to bust up the Pattaya Beachwalk sidewalks and roads and re-engineer the drainage system? Stupid is as stupid does.
          Last edited by George Pill; 05-11-2019, 09:55 PM.

Comment

Great photos. They should let drones fly and take fantastic videos of this green paradise. Great for finding lost hikers.

Comment

Working...
            X