X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phuket General Info.

As I am a regular visitor to Phuket I thought I might give some general info about restaurants, hotels and travel for those who have never been before.

The ladyboy bars and hangouts have been covered by others so I will focus on hotels etc.

Drivers.

For a very safe and well priced driver I use Mr. Sam.

Sam drives a well maintained Toyota Altis, speaks very good English and will look after you very well. He is honest, realiable and very well priced.

Phone: 0872 818 868

E-mail:  [email protected]

For those of you who may require a van I use Daj.

His late model van is well equipped with Dvd, fridge and drinks. Speaks better English then me, is a safe driver and tells a good yarn.

Get in touch at  0862 748 195

E-mail: [email protected]

Hotels.

I stay at Salathai Resort in the heart of Patong at

10/4 Sawatdirak Rd. Patong.

+ 66 7629 6631

They have a website and you can get a good clean room for 1500 baht per day with breakfast.

It has a good pool, is clean, safe and close to Bangla Rd.

Has wi-fi, internet access for those who don"t have their own laptops and all staff speak good English.

I always negotiate free pick up from the airport but pay 500 baht on the return leg.

I also stay at Horizon Resort Patong at the other end of Patong down near the Holiday Inn.

I usally get buy one night get one free from April 30 to Oct. 30. with buffet breakfats for 1200 baht per night. The 1200 baht is after you factor two for one deal.

The rooms are extra large with two queen size beds and a very big bathroom.

The draw back for me is it is in a side soi and every day you have to run the gauntlet of hawkers who will just not take no for a answer.

Personally I prefer Salathai.

I have also stayed at most of the 3/4/5 starers in Patong. Anyone who wants more info please pm me.

Food.  

I have a few favourite haunts away from the bright lights and drunks.

Nicky's Handlebar Cafe is at 41 Rat-u-thit 200 year Rd. Patong.

Nicky's has  a tattoo shop, pool table and the best New Zealand beef fillet steak you will ever eat.

They also do the best Mussamun curry i have ever had and the beer is cheap and cold.

The atmospehere is great, laidback and is a great place to hang out during the day before you go hunting later on in the night.

For a authentic Thai restaurant I go to Pan Yaah Thai on Phra Baramo Rd on the way to Kamala Beach.

The Tom Yum and Tom Kha Gai are the best you will ever try.

For those who have kitchens and want to cook I go to the fresh markets behind Jung Ceylon near the Carrefour exit. They are called Banzaan Markets.The best fresh large prawns are here for 350 baht per kilo and the fresh fish are very cheap.

Markets.

Chao Fah Variety markets are on the weekend at Phuket town near Chaofa Rd opposite Wat Nakha.

Cheap t-shirts, shorts, food and many ladyboys can be seen buying make up and stuff.  

Talad Kasat or Robinsons Market between Robinsons and Ocean Depatments stores are morning markets and have the usual stuff.

Any more info you may need pm me and I will be happy to help if i can.

Phuket is no Pattaya but for those who want a laid back beach stay and want to do a bit during the day Puket is worth a look.

Thanx for the info  

I will be staying at the http://www.tharapatong.com/ for 7 nights in May and my first visit to Phuket ( been 3 Times) since the tsunami

Even though I will not be on a "hunting" mission I would like to know if anyone knows of any decent JEEP hire Companies ( i.e. Full Insurance with NO Scam's)

Even though a visit to Bangla Road one night will be a must to "curb" mine and my ladyboy companion's ( her first visit) curiousity I am looking more to visit good restaurants  and places to go without the " girly bars"  around the other beaches instead of just Patong

Any recommendations would be appreciated  
    Your got yer Mother in a whirl
    Shes not sure if your a Boy or a Girl

Comment

My advice would be to ring Mr. Sam when you get there and get him to point you in the right direction.
      For a 100 baht tip he will make sure you get looked after and get excattly what you want.

Comment

Salathai Resort looks nice....

Is it guest friendly?? Whats the joiner fee?

I just rang the Royal Paradise and they wanted to charge 1000baht joiner fee.... fair to say they lost a customer.

thanks in advance

Azza

A worthy trip report

Comment

(daveduke007 @ Apr. 03 2008,09:23) Thanx for the info

I will be staying at the http://www.tharapatong.com/ for 7 nights in May and my first visit to Phuket ( been 3 Times) since the tsunami

Even though I will not be on a "hunting" mission I would like to know if anyone knows of any decent JEEP hire Companies ( i.e. Full Insurance with NO Scam's)

Even though a visit to Bangla Road one night will be a must to "curb" mine and my ladyboy companion's ( her first visit) curiousity I am looking more to visit good restaurants and places to go without the " girly bars" around the other beaches instead of just Patong

Any recommendations would be appreciated
          These are the 4 I looked at last time I went:

http://www.via-phuket.com
          http://www.andamancarrent.com/car.htm
          http://www.phuket.com/budget/index.htm
          http://www.phuket.com/carrent/davidcarrent.htm

Ended up using David Car Rental. Since I am a jock, probably because it was cheapest

Insurance included, unlimited mileage, 400 Baht deliver to my hotel, delivered on time, responsive by e-mail, no scams (I think!)
          Mister Arse

Comment

I stay at Salathai Resort in the heart of Patong at
            10/4 Sawatdirak Rd. Patong.
            + 66 7629 6631
            They have a website and you can get a good clean room for 1500 baht per day with breakfast.
            Has wi-fi, internet access for those who don"t have their own laptops and all staff speak good English.
            1500 is not what the room rate page on the website says. Minimum 1800 plus meals is the cheapest room in low season???

Rooms at the moment are 2600 to 4800
            Peak season is 3400 to 5900
            Mister Arse

Comment

www.atsiam.com

has rooms from 1430 in low season....

Azza

A worthy trip report

Comment

Fantastic post, vangough05 and some good additional information also.

I suspect that enjoying Phuket is 90% about how prepared you are before you get there.

Comment

I'm impatient: Called Salathai this evening

They told me no joiner fees for first guest and 500 baht per guest thereafter - a breath of fresh air for Phuket hotels.

I can live with that.

One thing about Phuket if you are not careful they all try and get your cash.

Always check with your hotel before you book what the guest charge will be. - an email or quick call wont cost that much.

I've stayed in places that charge 1000 per guest (zero after a prolonged fight with management) and one place, the guest charge was 2000 baht (i think they basically didn't want guests coming back)

Azza

A worthy trip report

Comment

Every time I read a post like that I'm another year from actually going there.

Here's why...

It's very expensive... (compared to Pattaya and Bangkok)

You've got to be constantly on your guard against everyone from the maid, the flower seller, the bargirl, the loser farang and the taxi driver...

It's a long way from home...

No friends to meet up with or share a beer with...

I've never been but I'm guesing it sucks compared to the places that I HAVE been too.

Comment

Only thing that is more expensive is hotels and those fucking tuk tuks. Everything else is the same as far as i am concerned is same as bkk and pattaya.

Surely you and Jon/jaidee would have spoken about phuket over the years. Have you not taken his comments on board?

Am trying to finish my report. Will have more comments there.

Comment

i only ever go phuket, stay in patong, can say apart from tuk tuk drivers the place is great! there are more hotels guest friendly than not, prices start from 600bhat upwards you get what you pay for if not more, great beaches my fav is liam siam (spelling not sure) but there are steep steps down to it. some great places for lb massage, and some great bars. the hype about phuket been expensive i think is over the top. a ladyboy might only charge you 500 upwards in pattaya for short time where in phuket its around a 1000. but wheres theres plenty lb's in phuket there are far more in pattaya so competion is more.
                        just my 2 baht worth.

steve

Comment

In response to Stogies criticism of Phuket, SB you do realise you will eventually have to go there.

If any BM was so vehemently putting down some place, then had the audacity to reveal they had never
                          actually been there themselves, you would be all over them. So what is different about your negative view?

I think Phuket & Patong in particular have everything covered for an excellent holiday.
                          I love the freshness of the place with beautiful beaches, clean blue sea & typically happy locals.        

I have been maybe 20 times up to 2 years ago, when I was swayed by recommendations on this forum to give Pattaya another go.

Phuket is not Pattaya, but unless something awful has happened in 2 years, it is truly one of the great holiday destinations in the world.

My main deterrent to the place are the Australians who have swapped Bali for Phuket & are everywhere.
                          Nothing spoils a night on the prowl to have clients/neighbours/acquantances waving at you.      

I like Pattaya for what it is. Phuket has nowhere near the number of bars but there was always great talent there.

And where did this idea come from it is so expensive? I agree with a few posts here that there need not be much difference & I always remember it being cheaper than Bangkok.
                          I guess it comes down to where you go.

I fully intend to visit again. Stogie, I recommend you try the place for yourself.

Then you can criticise it all you like.
                          Despite the high cost of living, it continues to be popular.

Comment

(pacman @ Apr. 07 2008,16:09) In response to Stogies criticism of Phuket, SB you do realise you will eventually have to go there.

If any BM was so vehemently putting down some place, then had the audacity to reveal they had never
                            actually been there themselves, you would be all over them. So what is different about your negative view?

Stogie, I recommend you try the place for yourself.

Then you can criticise it all you like.
                            Your got yer Mother in a whirl
                            Shes not sure if your a Boy or a Girl

Comment

One thing about Phuket if you are not careful they all try and get your cash.

Always check with your hotel before you book what the guest charge will be. - an email or quick call wont cost that much.

I've stayed in places that charge 1000 per guest (zero after a prolonged fight with management) and one place, the guest charge was 2000 baht (i think they basically didn't want guests coming back)
                              This is no different to Pattaya.

Some hotels will tell you up front there is a guest charge because they don't want guests, so will try to charge you when you bring a guest back, and some openly say no charge.

It should be standard operating procedure to ask any hotel by e-mail what their policy is, get them to respond to your e-mail, print out their response and take it with you. Don't call, get it in writing.

I have done this for years, and absolutely love it when some hotels try it on and I just pull out their confirmation
                              Mister Arse

Comment

Working...
                              X