X
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

(pacman @ Apr. 07 2008,16:09) I think Phuket & Patong in particular have everything covered for an excellent holiday.
    I love the freshness of the place with beautiful beaches, clean blue sea & typically happy locals.        

Phuket is not Pattaya

Phuket has nowhere near the number of bars but there was always great talent there.

And where did this idea come from it is so expensive? I agree with a few posts here that there need not be much difference & I always remember it being cheaper than Bangkok.
    I guess it comes down to where you go.

I am totally with you on this quotes pacman

I "Have" visited Phuket 3 times myself and "loved" the place but due to the "Tsunami" have not returned earlier.
    I am really looking forward to visiting there again this May and sampling the "MANY" beautiful beaches of Phuket that make Pattaya Beach look like a "cesspit"

The idea of getting "ripped off" is one I say will "happen" IF you "let it happen" and goes for the majority of the "Hot Spots" in  

The only reason  for my 3 night visit of Pattaya this time is

1:- I dont arrive till 19-10pm at BKK Airport on the first night
    2:- I want to meet up with friends again for a    and attend Monkeyman's Birthday Party on the 2nd night
    3:- Get over "Hangover" from  Party on the 3rd night  
    Your got yer Mother in a whirl
    Shes not sure if your a Boy or a Girl

Comment

Phuket hotels:

http://www.sawadee.com/hotels/phuket.html

Everything from US$15 to US$400 plus, so don't tell me you cannot find budget hotels in Phuket and that all hotels are more expensive - fucking rubbish.

I decided to click on the cheapest hotel on the list in Patong:

http://www.sawadee.com/hotel/phuket/.../pictures.html

At 480 Baht per night in low season, it looks a LOT nicer than some 480 Baht hotels I have seen in Pattaya!
      Mister Arse

Comment

(Stewart @ Apr. 07 2008,19:45)
        I stay at Salathai Resort in the heart of Patong at
        10/4 Sawatdirak Rd. Patong.
        + 66 7629 6631
        They have a website and you can get a good clean room for 1500 baht per day with breakfast.
        Has wi-fi, internet access for those who don"t have their own laptops and all staff speak good English.
        1500 is not what the room rate page on the website says. Minimum 1800 plus meals is the cheapest room in low season???

Rooms at the moment are 2600 to 4800
        Peak season is 3400 to 5900
        Ask for 1500 baht and you will receive. I have stayed there for 9 years . It is very quite and 1500 is all the rooms are worth in reality.

Comment

Last year i rented a fantastic apartment for a month just off nanai rd ( 12000 baht ) , love phuket to death , only thing to watch for is the damn traffic cops clamping your bike , nice little scam that is , it certainly isnt more expensive than bangkok , i think they are about the same , had an amazing threesome for 2000baht !! Like someone said before just keep away from the tuk tuk drivers , those guys will mess you up just for the fun of it

Comment

(stogie bear @ Apr. 07 2008,22:11) Every time I read a post like that I'm another year from actually going there.
            FFS (for fucks sake) SB

I posted this as i wanted the newbies to be aware of a few traps and what to avoid. Not for you to start another rant on Phuket.

Given your'e living in , you should be aware of this type of stuff. However newcomers to , will not be.

Bangkok is no different and most places i have stayed try and charge a joiner fee.

Pattaya is an exception, but then again they need an incentive for people to stay their given the shit food and beach options.

Don't put people off places because you are biased, let just give everyone a heads up so when they decide to visit some place they know how to minimize the side costs so that the can enjoy the LB scene even more.

And another thing i found, like the original poster says, you can often contact a hotel and obtain a better rate, specially in low season - don't be afraid to ask.

Azza

A worthy trip report

Comment

(daveduke007 @ Apr. 08 2008,02:20)
              I am totally with you on this quotes pacman
              Thanks Dave.
              And I know SB would respect your opinion.
              If Stogie can slip away to Hua Hin for some R&R then it's only an hour flight to Phuket where he will discover an entirely different Thailand.

And that can't be contradicted till he visits.

Are there any Phuket vets who may like to show the boss around, ensuring he doesn't fall foul of any tourist traps?

There are 3 great malls in Thai nightlife -

Patpong in its heyday, still important but ruined by the night markets

Walking Street - world famous, busy every night of the year, wonderfully sleazy

Soi Bangla - more people than the first two combined, an even more eclectic mix than Pattaya

If you have only seen the first two then you really can't say you have seen Thai nightlife.
              Despite the high cost of living, it continues to be popular.

Comment

(pacman @ Apr. 08 2008,01:49)
                Thanks Dave.
                And I know SB would respect your opinion.[/quote]
                Not too sure about that
                Your got yer Mother in a whirl
                Shes not sure if your a Boy or a Girl

Comment

Ozzie has offered to show him around. Stogie is scared of the dark and has so far refused to go.

Comment

(Stewart @ Apr. 08 2008,05:24) Phuket hotels:

http://www.sawadee.com/hotels/phuket.html

Everything from US$15 to US$400 plus, so don't tell me you cannot find budget hotels in Phuket and that all hotels are more expensive - fucking rubbish.

I decided to click on the cheapest hotel on the list in Patong:

Tuk tuks and taxis are a fucking disgrace with what they get away with. They would get rich even in Australia at those prices. Especially when you can hire a scooter from 100bt per day
                    http://www.sawadee.com/hotel/phuket/.../pictures.html

At 480 Baht per night in low season, it looks a LOT nicer than some 480 Baht hotels I have seen in Pattaya!
                    Hi Stewart

The content of your post is absolutely correct. If you are referring to my post regarding higher cost of hotels in Phuket, I will clarify what I mean. Perhaps what I should have said was in comparison to Pattaya. For example you can get an executive room at the Areca for 1300bt. The same type of room for the same type of property in phuket you would be looking about 2500bt to 3000bt. And the same type of room at the patong villa where for 2400 you could probably get the same type in Pattaya for about 1300 to 1500bt. But phuket is a mass tourist destination.

Having said that you can get some nice rooms pretty cheap in some guesthouses. I was simply referring to middle to top end hotels.

I was only trying to dispel this myth about how phuket is supposed to be more expensive overall from taking a piss to staying in a hotel. Generally hotels costs are more expensive than Pattaya, and compare well with Bkk. I can€™t speak for other parts of Thailand as I have not been.

As for the joiner fee? Well you have to do your legwork. But if you book for 2 get it in writing and you can waive this. There are a lot of hotels both middle and top end that will do this. Some hotels there just don€™t want €œguests€ there. That€™s why you get the 3000bt joiner fee or they insist on registration on check in. As per SB said in his debate with Ziggy on Q Bar €œthere are other place which will welcome you€.

Also if you go as a couple and therefore don€™t have to worry about the joiner fee bullshit you may very well get an excellent deal for flight, transfers and hotel with a travel agent.

Tuk tuks and taxis are a fucking disgrace with what they get away with. They would get rich even in Australia at those prices. Especially when you can hire a scooter from 100bt per day

I say if you are interested in phuket and what it offers then go. Don€™t worry there wont be people waiting at the airport for you with their hands out or dodgy freelancers waiting for you to fall asleep to rob you. So just go. You might just enjoy it.

Comment

Further to markets to visit.

Kamala beach just 10km down the road from Phuket used to have a really good market.

I am not sure, but i think it only used to be on Sunday~ perhaps the locals can update, as its been quite while since i went there.

But the food was really nice and they had all sorts of delicious stuff to try.

check it out if its still around!!!

Azza

A worthy trip report

Comment

Another good little spot to go for eating is
                        behind Tiger entertainment complex.

Just walk down the soi that runs next to the complex and you will come across a serious of restaurants.
                        - Its hidden from bangla rd

Price is good and food is always nice, all types of thai and fresh seafood is available.

It's quite a bargain relative to the fancier places that line the beach rd.

Azza

A worthy trip report

Comment

Hello from Phuket,  I have lived here in Patong Beach for the past 3 years now and like it!  I grew up near a great beach in southern California and have no disappointments with the area here.  I guess the only thing I would call foul on is the tuk-tuk service, like others here.  They will rip you off if you let them.
                          I own and operate a guest house here that is located 1 block from Bang-La Road, no need to use tuk-tuks or taxis to get around.  The rates are mid-range with no joiner fees and you can walk to everything.  The new Jungceylon shopping mall is also as close as Bang-La road with many things there to do.  I would encourage anyone here to look at my website where you will view photos and get information and rates.  The rates adjust 4 times per year to remain competitive with the neighbors.  I believe you will get a good value for your baht.  
                          www.theplacetostayphuket.com
                          I will be happy to see any members from this forum and have a couple of drinks around town!
                          Tapioca

Comment

(tapioca @ Apr. 15 2008,21:36) Hello from Phuket, I have lived here in Patong Beach for the past 3 years now and like it! I grew up near a great beach in southern California and have no disappointments with the area here. I guess the only thing I would call foul on is the tuk-tuk service, like others here. They will rip you off if you let them.
                            I own and operate a guest house here that is located 1 block from Bang-La Road, no need to use tuk-tuks or taxis to get around. The rates are mid-range with no joiner fees and you can walk to everything. The new Jungceylon shopping mall is also as close as Bang-La road with many things there to do. I would encourage anyone here to look at my website where you will view photos and get information and rates. The rates adjust 4 times per year to remain competitive with the neighbors. I believe you will get a good value for your baht.
                            I will be happy to see any members from this forum and have a couple of drinks around town!
                            Tapioca
                            nice location. have you photos from bathroom in suite 2? I think a good option for me in november.

Comment

(tapioca @ Apr. 15 2008,20:36) The rates adjust 4 times per year to remain competitive with the neighbors. I believe you will get a good value for your baht.
                              Start a thread, mate and we'll PIN it to the top of the Travel Information forum...

Better still... invite me up for a few days and you can have a banner on this forum for free!

(Well - hope springs...)
                              Attached Files

Comment

Thanks Stogie, I will figure this out and follow up on your idea. I believe you should come down here for a visit. I think you will like it! Tapioca

Comment

Working...
                                X