X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any info on Kammala Beach?

How long is the drive from Patong to Kammala?

Sort of daft question I know, but there is good reason to ask it as I may soon be in a situation where I have to make the commute on a daily or twice daily basis.

Also any idea of taxi fares or other modes of transport for this daily trip?

And are there any LB friendly hotels in Kammala?

Anybody with any info on this will be  very much appreciated.

Ta, KoN  
    In this game the object is to mate the queen.    

Kamala beach is about 10min north from Patong.

Don't stay at aquamarine - joiner fee is 2000 baht last time i was there.

I think there is maybe a local bus you can catch between patong and kamala.

As for tuk-tuk , last time i ask they were trying to scam 400 baht for the trip.

You are better off hiring a motorcycle for this location.

Azza

A worthy trip report

Comment

I agree, hire a motorbike. Tuk-tuks are just a scam, and taxis are on a par.
      I dont know any hotels in kamala, so best to ask about joiner's fees before booking.
      www.ladyboy-bar.com
      cocktailsanddreamsphuket.com

Comment

Its a beautiful ride, especially with a ladyboy on back. Scenic view over the hill. If you have to do it daily would recommend just buying a motorbike. 45,000 gets you a new one or you can rent one for a 1,000 a week if you shop around.

You will also need motorbike liscense unless you want to pay 300 baht fine everytime they decide to run a road block, although most of these occur south of Patong rather than north I have found. Don't hit a Thai either, its always your fault.

I wish I had your dilemma KoN.

Comment

KoN- Its a 10k distance each way, about 10 to 15 minutes depending on traffic. There is no bus unless you want a 2 hour trip via Phuket town and busses stop around 1800hrs anyway. Accomodation wise you want to be looking at renting an apartment as there are only higher end hotels in Kamala at the moment and it's gonna cost a bomb. If you really want to stay there you could probably fix up a car and driver on a contract basis- far better than an open tuk tuk and far safer than suicide hill on a motorbike. Some people here are OK with motorbikes- I avoid them like the plague.

To be honest, if you're gonna be commuting twice a day to Patong I would consider finding an apartment in one of the quieter areas of Patong if that's where your main focus is. If you don't want to discuss specifics in public feel free to PM me  
          I couldn't give a shit how long it is until you're next holiday- I live here

Comment

Oh come on, the ride on a motorcycle b/w patong and kamala is lovely

Azza

A worthy trip report

Comment

(azza33 @ Nov. 12 2009,04:21)

It is lovely indeed Azza and the view gets better the further you go North. This is Kamala beach in the background. The motorbike rides to the North and South were a little sobering the first go, and I had little to no experience on bikes. I get a bike every time, and always take advantage of a nice ride. some mornings I would even go solo while May (Mary) slept until 3 or 4.

Lets face it you'll always have some who have a fear of being seen in public with ladyboys, riding a motorbike, or even taking photos of a LB seems to adventurous to some.

I don't know how old KoN is but I have seen plenty of farangs on bikes far older than me. I even had some pass me through those winding hills.
              Attached Files

Comment

(azza33 @ Nov. 12 2009,04:21)

fine during the day but a bit different at night if he's travelling that route with all the pissed up pick-up, truck and m/cyclists is a different story. Just look at the bits of motorbike on the side of the road any day of the week. I walk the route once a week and the number of near misses I see beggar belief, no to mention the bucket squad scooping peeps into the ambulance. They're running about one fatac a month along that stretch of road at the moment. Look at this fom the eyes of a commuter, not a tourist

Comment

I knew I could rely on you lot. Unbelievable the amount of information stored communally. MI6 should be mightily impressed by the volume and the speed that detailed local knowledge can be garnered here.      

Unfortunately I am not moving there permanently. Very wealthy non LB mongering friends have a villa in Kammala over the X-Mass/New Year holidays and I have been invited. I was trying to figure out how I can balance happy holiday scenes with the filthiness that is my usual mien in the Land of Smiles.

I am getting the idea to just get my own place in Patong and come and go as I please.

Even though I have lived for years in Indonesia, I still don't know how to ride a motorbike (by design actually), so it seems the patong/Kammala jaunt is not the wisest place to learn.

Thanks all, really warming to the whole picture right now.  

P.S. Boarhog, that surf in those photos looks reasonably ride-able, wondering what time of year they were shot? If this the season that is holding, might pack a board.

Comment

Alternative in your case is spend the bulk of your time in Kamala and have the occasional dirty night out in Patong- there's a short time hotel 50 feet from C&D and you could possibly get a guest house in Sansabai (Lucky Leks isn't a palace but for the occasional night it would do)- I don't think it's gonna be as busy as some say

Comment

(KingofNANA @ Nov. 12 2009,21:26) P.S. Boarhog, that surf in those photos looks reasonably ride-able, wondering what time of year they were shot? If this the season that is holding, might pack a board.
                      KoN,

Top photos were January, and bottom two in late July. I don't recall seeing surfers. Some of the wakeboarding fans could tell ya more.

Comment

I know there is a small surf scene there and the waves for the most part are relatively crappy compared to other coasts exposed to the Indian ocean, but there are surfable waves, just never knew what season they broke in.

I found the photo below on the net. Taken form the same vantage point, it shows it in a completely different mood/season.
                        Attached Files

Comment

best time of the year for surf is around the end of Sept- there's usually a few competitions going on at Kalim and Karon.

Comment

Been thinking, what is the feasibility of riding a bicycle from Patong to Kamala? I understand the dangers, particularly at night, so I certainly won't be packing a ladyboy on the crossbar and wobbling over the hill shit faced. Just wandering how long the ride would take and how steep it gets? Also is it just too dangerous any time?

Comment

(KingofNANA @ Dec. 10 2009,22:49) Been thinking, what is the feasibility of riding a bicycle from Patong to Kamala? I understand the dangers, particularly at night, so I certainly won't be packing a ladyboy on the crossbar and wobbling over the hill shit faced.  Just wandering how long the ride would take and how steep it gets? Also is it just too dangerous any time?
                              Kon,
                              a bycicle?? You're openly asking for trouble mate. It's way too dangerous in the dark IMHO. And it gets VERY steep as well at one point.
                              http://thenonpcblog.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
                              X