Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good to know it!

Comment

• Further updates: all Thai bank ATMS now charge 180 Baht transaction fee. In addition the fees for cashing traveler's cheques have increased almost 500% from 33 Baht to 153 Baht per cheque. This now makes using traveler's cheques a poor option - as the maximum denomination is $500 (US or CA) or 500 Euro.

If you can keep your cash safe, probably the best option is to bring over hard cash - (for short trips 2-3 weeks or less), or for longer visits, have a Thai Bank account and wire funds over before your visit, using your Thai bank ATM cash for withdrawals. There is another thread on opening a Thai bank account here.

Click on the links below and discover how the Forums work
      Membership Levels
      The Rookie Thread
      New to The Ladyboy Forums? Introduce yourself!
      Old Members Must Reset Their Passwords

Comment

• What I do

I first visited LOS in late 2012. After the floods and deadly coup shootings I figured bad luck couldn't happen 3 times in a row. Bad news have silver linings. Less tourists and so less competition in bar girl choices. Yes, I noticed there was a $5 charge in the ATM machines. That's why it is wise to withdraw the largest amount of dollars possible. It was US$700! Better than my local ATM which is $200 max withdrawal. I read about that silly coup where all the airports were shut down to prevent Thaksin Shinawatra from returning. All the tourists were stuck in Thailand and incoming tourists were shut out. Whoa! So I though What did the stuck tourists do for money? What would Jesus do? What would I do? Here's my plan pre-LOS. Get US$10-20K in TC's in $500 denoms. May sure your ATM card(s) will work in LOS. You need to call your credit card company(s) and tell them you will be there at so and so dates. If you don't do this they will think someone stole your card and shut it down. Ruined vacation. You can call them long distance collect and tell them your birthday, Mom's maiden name, etc. and tell them you forgot to tell them about your sinful vacation. At the ATM you will have a choice of making the withdrawal from you checking or savings account. Nice. Frankly I don't like using ATM's in foreign countries. Always the danger of someone getting into your account in ways you never thought possible. Thailand is a corrupt country so don't be surprised if the Mafia figures out a way to screw you. Cop mafia doesn't care. Royal arseholes. If the charge is now B150 go ahead and pay it for the $500 TC. For cash I take only $200 in hundred, twenties, and tens. I learned from the book Papillon (also made a movie with Steve McQueen) that you could hide a smooth capsule inside your rectum. I'm sure all you fellow readers can do this easily. If I get robbed in the taxi I can afford the loss. TC is safer. Make sure you record or photo the TC numbers on a several pieces of paper and keep them in several locations in your luggage, carry-on, wallet, and so on along with the TC's foreign telephone number. ANTICIPATE trouble before it hits you! Don't stand there WTF do I do now. Why didn't I be prepared and have a plan B? Now for ATM card. I hope you kept your old outdated ATM ones. Carry them in your wallet with a little cash. If they rob you, you just give them your wallet and they will be happy. that should allow you time to escape and laugh in your hotel room. Carry outdated credit cards, too. I use a cloth pouch with a brown and black belt loop food my real stuff. You string your belt into the loops and flip your contents inside your pants. Keep your expensive hotel room credit card keys in this. Wow, B1K per hotel card deposit! This way your valuables are safe. Both of them. Use up your TC's first, then your ATM. I use cash when I'm near my departure date. That way I don't end up leaving with $400 worth of Bahts. Last year it was B30/dollar. Now it's B36. Smart move. I never use credit cards to pay for dinners or watch purchases. They might erase the tip and add a larger one. Or forge the signature on another higher fake bill. Pay cash and relax well knowing they can't take any more from you. Thailand is a terribly corrupt country. Just like the Philippines and North Korea. Go in with your eyes open.

Never, never, never carry your passport with you. Just photocopy the ID page and keep several copies in your luggage. Easy to fold and slip it into your wallet. BTW, my local UPS branch will not make color photocopies for obvious reasons. Only B&W ones.

interestingly those tourist stuck in Thailand after the airport fiasco headed to KL by train only to find everybody had the same idea. I read they could have gone to Utapao Airport and jetted out to Singapore or elsewhere. Remember that if you find yourself in this deja vu situation. For me I would just get online and extend my hotel stay through Agoda.com and ask where the nearest thai office where I can extend my travel visa is. I think one is in Jomtien. Anybody know exactly where it is? Hope it's next to Jomtien Complex where there has been some nice action to be had. I feel sorry for all of you who visited Thailand with limited funds and had no backup savings in the bank. Hate learning international banking in a short period of time. So remember. Bring TC in $500 denominations, small bunches of dollars, and a working ATM card. Leave all three in the room safe deposit box. Do cover the red punch in numbers with a black towel and don't remove it until they disappear. I know hookers watch for your PIN numbers and one elderly guy who thought his girlfriend loved him could read sideways. The Pattaya police caught the girl but not the money. Stupid. Just like the Arab guy who got robbed of $10K in his pocket while walking down Patt Beach Road. Or the Indian guy who got greeted and hugged by 3 LBs, one of who somehow dislodged his gold necklace and took off with it. The cops found him and returned the necklace. Wonder if the cops are heading a gang ring. I do know the cops own some of the bars on Soi Cowboy. So convenient to arrest the ripped off customers who don't pay. Should have a TV show called THAI COPS.

I've got lots of information to share as a new member and world traveler. Some travel for food. Some travel for architecture. Some like museums. I like fucking around the world. Get ready for my adventures past, present, and future. Ladyboyforums.com is something I've been looking for all my life. Glad to know there are other normal folks like me.

++++++++++++++

If you can keep your cash safe, probably the best option is to bring over hard cash - (for short trips 2-3 weeks or less), or for longer visits, have a Thai Bank account and wire funds over before your visit, using your Thai bank ATM cash for withdrawals. There is another thread on opening a Thai bank account here.

Comment

• Bad news the fee has now increased to 200 Baht for foreign ATM cards. This is makes bringing cash the best option, unless you are fortunately enough to have a bank card that refunds ATM fees, like a Charles Schwab card. Unfortunately Canadians don't have an option like that.

Membership Levels
          The Rookie Thread

Comment

• My biggest concern carrying cash is losing it is getting robbed. If I lost all my cash my trip would be over.
            The fees may be high but it gives me some assurance my money is safe. I carry several atm and credit cards, if something happens I ca transfer money around. My Payoneer prepaid Mastercard had no fees actually.
            www.ladyboysthai.com

Comment

• In the old days, before ATMs cash was king. Using money belts, etc., kept things fairly safe. Of course it is also important not to "flash" the cash around. Electronic money access is susceptible to skimming - so you could lose your entire bank account contents if you run across those criminals.

The major issue is not only do you have the 200 Baht foreign card ATM fee, there is also the fee your bank charges for using a non-branch ATM, which is typically $5.00 Canadian. 200 Baht right now is approx $8.00 + $5.00 which means $13.00 in fees for every ATM withdrawal in Thailand. In addition to this most Canadian banks charge 2.5% fee for foreign currency exchange. So you're getting stung 3 times - two from your Canadian bank and once by Thai banks.

I am interested about your Payonner MC - I had a look at their home page and for a personal card, there is a 29.95 annual fee as well as $3.00 fee for withdrawals (at ATMs) and debit payments.

This is a link to Earth and Money which has good tips for Canadians on minimizing ATM fees while traveling.
              You do not have permission to view this gallery.
              This gallery has 1 photos.

Membership Levels
              The Rookie Thread

Comment

• Payoneer never charges me any fee at the ATMs, they mostly make their money on load fees. They used to charge me a $3.00 fee years ago but not anymore, not sure why it says that. It also never adds on any ATM fees like my other cards do. There is an annual fee but most credit cards have that, so 29.95 is not bad at all. They also charge a $2 monthly maintenance fee but don't charge it if your account is empty at the time. Another good thing about it is that it is in US dollars but it is all so based in Great Britain. So I get always get the choice to convert from Great Britain Pounds or US dollars. This card is generally only available to people that get paid by websites. You can use it to transfer money internationally for very very cheap. (free in fact) My old GF has one from doing webcam and that is how I would send her money on there. Since this card is also related to my business I would deduct any fees from my income tax anyway.

None of my Canadian ATM cards charge any additional ATM fees Royal, TD or CIBC. My VIP package at Royal Bank does let me pay ATM fees even at other banks in Canada.
                You end up paying the exchange anyway, although you do pay a little less exchanging cash.
                www.ladyboysthai.com

Comment

• Both my CIBC and BoM ATM cards charge the $5.00 fee when using a non-branch ATM, whether in Canada or in another country. It sounds like you have a special account that may have a benefit of no ATM fee if you have a minimum balance.

Thanks for the additional information about the Payoneer. The website sounds like it needs some updating.

Membership Levels
                  The Rookie Thread

Comment

• Sorry you are right TD charges me $5 on foreign ATM transactions.
                    My Paxum prepaid Mastercard charges $2 for ATM withdrawls.
                    Send and Receive Payments with Ease

Royal Bank does not charge me anything on ATM transactions at all, all the Thailand fees come through on the Plus Network.
                    I have the VIP banking package which is $30 and there is no minimum balance,
                    but I actually pay $19.995 a month because i have a multi product rebate.
                    It also pays/rebates my $120 Visa Credit Card yearly fee so it is a good deal and if you use it enough it pays for itself.
                    However i can hold money in other Canadian Bank accounts which I do in case one card stops working. However for $1.50 I can Interac transfer my money to my other accounts.
                    And i get unlimited Interact transfers on the Royal VIP too.
                    http://www.rbcroyalbank.com/services...al-vip-or.html
                    Attached Files
                    www.ladyboysthai.com

Comment

• There are some unconfirmed reports that the foreign ATM bank card fee has increased to 220 Baht per transaction. This is getting to be too much, when combined with your home bank ATM fees tacked up top. I am glad I opened my Bangkok Bank account last year and got their ATM card. Once I see confirmation, I will update this thread.

For those who don't have many other options, here is a list of banks reported to allow more than 20,000 Baht per withdrawal transaction. Note your home bank's daily ATM withdrawal limits are still in effect.

Citibank: Maximum withdrawal limit 50€™000 THB

Krungsri Bank: Maximum withdrawal limit 30€™000 THB

Thai Military Bank: Maximum withdrawal limit 30€™000 THB

CIMB Bank: Maximum withdrawal limit 30€™000 THB

Bangkok Bank: Maximum withdrawal limit 25€™000 THB

Membership Levels
                      The Rookie Thread

Comment

• I mentioned this Paxum ewallet before as an option.
                        they only charge $2 for international withdrawls from Master card plus the ATM fee.
                        No fee charged when you use it as a credit card at POS.

You can load your account through wire transfer and certified check plus a few other options.
                        Doesn't seem to be an upper limit of how much you can load.
                        You can withdraw up to $2500 USD per day.
                        This could be an option for some people.
                        Also you can easily transfer to other Paxum card holders, so your girlfriend could get and account too.

Paxum Signup
                        Attached Files
                        www.ladyboysthai.com

Comment

• I just signed up for this service which offers free bank transfers.
                          They just are making a profit on the exchange.

I haven't tried it yet but it would make having a Thai bank account a great option if you can transfer money in for very cheap.
                          Also the Paxum card above could be loaded by bank transfer.
                          www.ladyboysthai.com

Comment

• I never take cash except four newly minted crispy hundred dollar bills. I tape them to my ankle. The rest is traveler's checks in US$500 denominations. I do take my credit and ATM cards but never used them. they are also taped to my other ankle and outdated ones put into my wallet. Scared of ATM thieves and software malware. Credit cards are for emergencies or large hotel bills. Never used them in all the five times I visited Thailand. I will cash two $500 checks and store them in my Pacsafe bags (very good safe bags and you can get them at Amazon.com) which are locked inside my suitcase which is cable locked to a furniture. I keep a few thousand baht notes in my safe for quick cash. I try to cash checks weekly as the dollar-baht rates have in increasing in my favor every week. As for fees I don't worry about them. They have to make money so just pay them and enjoy your vacation.

Comment

• I think the best is if you can get a Thai Bank account like Rxpharm and then transfer money into it from your home accounts.
                              If something like this XE money transfer is truly free transfer fees then it would be very cheap.

They don't seem to have a limit on how much you an transfer.

Assuming you can use ATMs of your own bank for free like in Canada, it could be a great savings.
                              At worst you pay less in ATM fees.

Also you could just go to a bank branch and withdraw if you are wary of ATM machines.
                              I take some money to start my trip but usually relay on ATMs for the rest.
                              Most of the time I am paying for my hotels in advance on Agoda or something anyway.
                              So usually just pay for hotel incidentals in cash.
                              www.ladyboysthai.com

Comment

Working...
                              X