Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grand opening of the newly renovated Pantip Plaza on Monday, Aug 8, as reported in The Bangkok Post

"New" Pantip Plaza opens Monday

• Published: 5/08/2016 at 10:22 AM
    • Online news:

This Monday, Pantip Plaza, once Bangkok's premier IT-product shopping centre, will return after two years of massive renovation under a new name: Tech Life Mall.

Please join us on our Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/bangkokpostlearning IT hub Pantip Plaza to unveil new look

Sasiwimon Boonruang

A decade ago, everyone had only one destination in mind to buy a computer, install software (legit or otherwise), or fix broken devices: Pantip Plaza.

Before the spread of computer centres and online shopping, the building on Phetchaburi Road was where the latest models of hardware and new versions of software were always available. Some of them were on sale at Pantip even before the official announcement from the developers.

But a rapid transformation in technology and consumer behaviour changed the landscape of IT shopping. Pantip Plaza became somewhat rundown, its nooks and cranniescrammed with messy shops, and soon its reputation as the country's IT hub faded.

But this Monday, Pantip will return. It has taken two years of massive renovation and the new Pantip will be rebranded as Tech Life Mall.

Even though some renovated areas are not fully complete, Pantip today has a fresh and friendly ambience. Forget the intense vibe of hard-core IT people crowding aroundstalls of a decade ago: the new Pantip now has a larger space for strolling, and even for trying balance wheels, scooters and drones.

"We position ourselves as a fun place for shopping, and we broaden the target groups to kids and teenagers. Meanwhile we will also draw our past customer base back here," said Sansern Na Patthalung, asset manager of Asset World Estate, the operator of Pantip Plaza.

The 36,000m² mall will boast 300 IT dealers, gadgets, gaming, enterprise solution products and a co-working space. Represented at Tech Life Mall are global tech companies like Thailand's Intel Microelectronics €“ which sponsors an e-sports arena €“ while Microsoft and Google showcase their innovations at the "Experience Zone", where visitors can experience the technology evolution created by both tech giants.

Following the latest trend of start-ups, Pantip will offer co-working space. Called Syn Hub, it will provide various innovative technologies ranging from 3D printers, mechanics supporting the industrial internet of things, embedded electronic systems designs and radio frequency identification systems.

During renovation, the building wasn't completely closed. Over the past months, it has slowly opened different parts of the new development, attracting about 20,000 visitors a day. However, the fully-renovated Pantip expects to attract 35,000-40,000 people per day by the end of this year.

Even though there are many new locations in Bangkok where IT and electronic goods are available, Pantip remained a favourite destination for foreigners visiting Thailand, and they will definitely still recognise this
    Sounds quite different than the old Pantip Plaza.

Click on the links below and discover how the Forums work
    Membership Levels
    The Rookie Thread
    New to The Ladyboy Forums? Introduce yourself!
    Old Members Must Reset Their Passwords

Comment

It's probably turned into a massive Best Buy!

www.ladyboysthai.com

Comment

The description of the new businesses in there makes it sound closer to a Best Buy than the old computer and software shops they used to have.

Membership Levels
        The Rookie Thread

Comment

I had purchased an led TV from here, they are resonably priced

Comment

Some photos of the newly renovated Pantip Plaza from my Dec. visit. It has a different atmosphere now as most of the computer shops and pirated software shops are gone. More mobile shops, electronics - TV, cameras, etc.
            IMG_20160911_144402.jpg
            IMG_20160911_144042_hdr.jpg
            IMG_20160911_143937.jpg
            IMG_20160911_144142_hdr.jpg
            IMG_20160911_140950_hdr.jpg

Membership Levels
            The Rookie Thread

Comment

When I lived in Bangkok, near the Victory Monument, I would always take buses. I learned all of the routes and would get on one bus and transfer to another. Moved around the city fairly easily. I did speak some Thai which was helpful. I also took buses out of town to Chang Mai, Pattaya, and other points. The one thing that I was very careful about is getting on and off of the buses, especially the non ac buses. At least when I was there the buses never really come to a full stop at the bus stops. I nearly got killed one time when I stepped of a bus that was still rolling faster than it should have been. Luckily I wasn't an old guy or disabled. The BTS and subway are now the way to go although the non ac buses allow you to meet the real local people. So easy to make contact with the girls and even LBs on the buses.

Comment

I can't be bothered visiting Pantip anymore. Everything there is over priced.
                My last trip i was pricing out camera equipment and electronics.
                I noticed in Pantip most places don't have prices on anything, so you have to ask.
                Then I assume i get the falang price because everything is more expensive than at MBK.
                In MBK all the stores have everything marked with prices when are cheaper than every single price I was quoted in Pantip.
                MBK is recommended for pricing and pretty much the same selection of stuff throughout.
                www.ladyboysthai.com

Comment

I buy all my camera stuff from Amazon.com in the USA when I'm home. Can buy Square Trade extended warranties with the photography equipment. Even the Canon 430iii flash.

Comment

There must be a few non P4P LB's either working there or visiting. Would be interested in other people's perspective on this. On my last trip to Thailand I was visiting the Bang Pa-In Royal Palace in Ayutthaya with my wife and her sisters. In one of the buildings I stayed back from the others as they went into the Temple to do what Thai's do in a Temple. Since the Royal Palace is a marvel of a place I was fascinated by the architecture and ornateness of this building. I had this gorgeous tall, slim employee, who was obviously on staff for the Palace as she was in uniform, come up to me and asked me if she could be my personal guide. She spoke pretty good English and I think I immediately fell in love. As we were talking and I was asking her about herself, I realized that I was in the presence of a lovely LB. My God, she easily fooled me except that I can, at times, spot a LB by a couple of their traits. What a perfect meeting it would have been if I didn't have anyone with me. But alas, life is full of unfulfilled dreams. I also remember going into the public men's restroom on the Palace grounds and there were a couple of LB's touching up their makeup. I would have thought they would prefer going into the woman's restroom. Oh well.

Comment

I'm never surprised seeing ladyboys working anywhere in Thailand.
                      Ladyboys in the men's room are more likely gay fems who consider themselves men.
                      A true ladyboy will always go to the ladies room.
                      www.ladyboysthai.com

Comment

Just an update to this old thread.

Pantip still has pirated software but not out in the open since Pantip management now discourages pirated software sales. The long-time vendor I know is on the mezzanine level and gives me the available software on a flash drive. You have to ask someone on that level and you view the software selections on a tablet PC. Starting asking price was 150 baht/DVD and I picked up Office 2019. Across the street from Pantip are a lot of foot massage shops where you can get a 1hr foot massage at happy hour price (before 7pm) for 200 baht. I view the software on my cell phone while having a relaxing foot massage.

MBK sells pirated software out in the open in the old book format and starting asking price was 150 baht/DVD. Also, pirated stuff like Chanel purses, bags, and jewelry were available at MBK on 6th floor and jewelry on ground floor. They play the game, when the police were there in the morning, everything was hidden, but in the afternoon when the police were gone, everything was out in the open. Jewelry was pricey at MBK with fake Chanel earrings asking prices from 500-3000 baht for a pair. I could not tell the difference so I went to the cheap vendor I know by Nana BTS station and picked up 4 pair of fake Chanel earrings at 50 baht/pair.

Comment

From Nana Plaza I walk over to the Nana Skytrain station. Ride to Chit Lom and start walking westward until you hit Gaysorn Village. Turn right and continue to walk the whole block. Tricky part is trying to find out how to get on the second floor walkway to cross the boulevard and continue on to Platinum Fashion Mall. From there it is easy to exit the front door and continue walking to Pantip Plaza next door. If you are in a hurry, just walk over to the motorcycle taxi men near Nana Plaza. They will quote B80 or B100. It's the normal going price. Gets you there fast. I always tip B20. What's 66 cents? I like their skinny tripods where the 3 legs fold out at the bottom and you twist turn the column to extend and lock it into position. Good for GoPro and cell phone cams. Not for heavier DSLR cams. Sells for B500. Be patient and you will find 2 or 3 selling them for B450. Lots of camera stuff sellers. They're call Selfie Stick Tripods. Sells for $24 at Amazon.com. Cheaper at Pantip. Fun to shop there and at Platinum Fashion Mall. Incredibly good Tshirts with never seen before designs. Bought some tattoo art on black Tshirts. Mailed them home so its a 3-month wait.

Comment

All the best camera shops are in MBK. There is very many really good full service camera shops there.
                            Light Stands and and tripods of every size and shape can be found in MBK.
                            Also found replacement batteries, light stands, batter charges and led lights there.

Pantip has lost all their real photography shops except one now, i think on the third floor.
                            Mostly all you can find there is mobile phone camera equipment.
                            I'm finding less and less reasons to go to Pantip.

However the ASUS store in Pantip fixed my GFs laptop three times for free.
                            I bought it for her at Best Buy in Canada and she got better service in Thailand than we could in Canada.
                            I don't think there is even an ASUS store in all of Canada. There may be several in Bangkok.
                            www.ladyboysthai.com

Comment

I think it's better to buy electronics in Thailand for Thai friends or yourself if you want to live there. Foreign electronics probably cannot be fixed for lack or correct parts. Tried to give a friend my old cell phone, but the Pantip folks said throw it away. Two years is the lifespan of a cell.

Just order this tripod today from Amazon.com. This one is better because of 3 snap on clips on the shaft. $22 is not bad and close price to the ones sold in Pantip with the twist shut shaft.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanx for the tip about MBK. Been there several times. Great place for shopping and people watching. Lots of camera stores so fun just browsing. Surprised to see stuff are more expensive than USA and Amazon.com so I wait until I get home and buy. If Amazon.com or B&H camera store don't have them I might buy Thai. I think their camera warranties don't work in the USA.

Comment

Working...
                              X