X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thai Sim Card Registration

The hard deadline for Thai sim card registration comes this Friday, July 31/15 as reported in the Bangkok Post:

Cut-off arrives Friday for prepaid mobile stragglers

Published: 31/07/2015 at 03:28 AM
    Newspaper section: Business

Nearly 20 million prepaid mobile phone numbers can expect to be cut off after Friday's deadline imposed by the national telecom regulator.

The National Broadcasting and Telecommunications Commission (NBTC) expects 65 million prepaid mobile users to register their personal information under the regulator's circular, effective Saturday.

The 20 million unregistered numbers are believed to be inactive users, said NBTC secretary-general Takorn Tantasith.

The regulation governing the registration of prepaid SIM cards is to prevent criminals that use unregistered SIM cards from easily exploiting the numbers for illicit activity. It also seeks to redress the rampant growth of prepaid subscribers, many of whom are virtual, causing a waste of phone number resources and misuse of prepaid SIM cards.

The cabinet approved the regulation earlier this year as part of the national security agenda. From Friday, those failing to register subscriber information will no longer be able to use outbound mobile calling and data services. They can receive incoming calls and SMS messages for one more month.

"We believe an additional 5 million prepaid users will register their numbers during August after they experience the cut-off," said Mr Takorn.

He acknowledged that the NBTC could not bring all existing prepaid numbers into its registration system, as 20 million numbers are believed to be inactive.

Thailand has 105 million mobile subscribers, with 90 million being prepaid.

The NBTC recently spent 40 million baht to promote its prepaid registration campaign, offering 50,000 service points to assist users.

From Feb 1 next year, mobile operators will be fined 80,000 baht a day if they activate new prepaid SIM cards without registering them.

It is a simple matter to register your SIM card if you haven't already done so, just go to a 7/11, Family Mart, etc. and ask to get it done. You have to show your passport. The clerk takes a photo of it and then registers your sim with the passport information - free of charge. The phone providers (AIS, True, DTAC, etc) shops will also do this for you. As mentioned at Suvarnabhumii Airport in the arrivals hall, most of the providers have kiosks set up to buy SIM cards, top up, or register.

Click on the links below and discover how the Forums work
    Membership Levels
    The Rookie Thread
    New to The Ladyboy Forums? Introduce yourself!
    Old Members Must Reset Their Passwords

More Thai stupidity .... "as 20 million numbers are believed to be inactive" and they can't just check and see what numbers are still being used in their system? Obviously they have no clue what's going on so lets just take the shotgun approach and just shut off 20 million numbers and see who complains.

I'm sure the clerk in the 7-11 will be great at spotting the crooks using fake passports

Comment

Originally posted by BAM View Post
      More Thai stupidity .... "as 20 million numbers are believed to be inactive" and they can't just check and see what numbers are still being used in their system? Obviously they have no clue what's going on so lets just take the shotgun approach and just shut off 20 million numbers and see who complains.

I'm sure the clerk in the 7-11 will be great at spotting the crooks using fake passports
      I think it is cause they don't like the guy that owns the phone company.

www.ladyboysthai.com

Comment

One of the reasons why they wanted to have registration of SIM cards was due to their use as triggers for IEDs. They moved up the deadline after the recent bombings in Bangkok. They do know when SIM cards are inactive, the 20 million number is probably an estimate from all the service providers.

Hopefully it will occur to the investigators to get the SIM card registrations - they take a photo of your passport/ID card when you register the SIM card.

Click on the links below and discover how the Forums work
        Membership Levels
        The Rookie Thread
        New to The Ladyboy Forums? Introduce yourself!
        Old Members Must Reset Their Passwords

Comment

Originally posted by rxpharm View Post
          One of the reasons why they wanted to have registration of SIM cards was due to their use as triggers for IEDs.
          I have seen online a surprising amount of detailed information about what was found at the bombers apartment and I am certain that they did NOT use a mobile phone to set the bomb off.

I am pretty sure they used a cheap children's toy and a couple of other items that are a surprise to me - but make perfect sense when you put them all together.

I suspect that the SIM card registration has nothing to do with them being used as triggers for bombs.
          They can be - but there are technical complications that would suggest that other methods would be better.

However if you wanted to monitor phone calls using data collection technology it would be much better if you knew from day one who actually owned the SIM card.

Ever heard of GCHQ?

Hey don't worry - I'm sure ladyboy is not in their search algorithms

RR.
          Pedants rule, OK. Or more precisely, exhibit certain of the conventional trappings of leadership.

"I love the smell of ladyboy in the morning."
          Kahuna

Comment

It's too complicated these days to use a cell phone to set off IED's ....

This is what they now use: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fireworks-Fi.../271952484732?

Comment

Originally posted by BAM View Post
              It's too complicated these days to use a cell phone to set off IED's ....

This is what they now use:
              I was leaving that bit out on purpose.

It's actually not complicated to set an IED off with a cell phone - it's just that a few people (well actually quite a lot) will be able to work out where you were when you pressed SEND!

RR.

Remember wearing tinfoil hats only makes you a target for the spy satellites!
              Pedants rule, OK. Or more precisely, exhibit certain of the conventional trappings of leadership.

"I love the smell of ladyboy in the morning."
              Kahuna

Comment

If you have a postpaid SIM, they already have all the information. It is automatically registered.

Comment

Working...
                X