Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The new airport opens on 28th September the day i return to the UK. I can just see me at the new airport and my plane at the old airport !

Comment

This article was published in today's edition (02 July 2006) of the "Bangkok Post,"......

Full tests at new Airport start Monday

With the scheduled opening of Bangkok's new Suvarnabhumi International Airport only three months away, complete testing of the new airport facilities will begin Monday (July 3), the airport director said Saturday, to ensure that the national showcase is ready for the launch.

Suvarnabhumi Airport Director Somchai Sawasdipol said tests would be conducted on air-conditioning and lighting systems, passenger check-in counters and the operation of CTX bomb scanners starting Monday and continuing until the airport's opening for commercial use.

Low-cost airlines will undertake tests by taking off and landing at the airport on July 29.

The airport is scheduled for commercial opening two months later, on September 28.

Regarding expressed concerns that staff who are transferred from the existing Don Muang International Airport and newly recruited personnel may encounter problems on using the state-of-the-art equipment at Suvarnabhumi Airport when it opens, Mr. Somchai said there should be no problem as full training has been given to all officials.

The eight-storey complex, including an underground floor--where there will be electric mass transit facilities--and passenger terminals of the new airport, has a total area of some 563,000 square meters and is located on the northern part of the airport. It can cater to 45 million passengers annually. (TNA)

[U]

Comment

Pentire,

In the future I intend to go straight to Pattaya rather than hit BKK close to closing time. Am flying in December 8 so I hope the new airport is open then. I don't have much faith in the September 28 opening.

Comment

I think many of us shall adopt that policy victorida

Comment

I just read this today............but will it still be ready?

Thailand tests new international airport 29/07/2006 19:44:32

Thailand is running test flights to Bangkok's new international airport, amid concerns about its planned opening in two months.

Thai Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra was among the 375 passengers on the first flight to land at Suvarnabhumi airport, after a symbolic 15-minute journey from Bangkok's existing Don Muang terminal.

The new airport is due to open on September 28.

Industry groups have expressed concerns the government has rushed to open the airport too quickly, saying that one day of test flights does not ensure computer and mechanical systems are working properly.

The opening of the new airport has already suffered years of delays due to construction problems and graft allegations.

The delays have left the existing airport overstretched, serving 38.5 million passengers a year - more than two million beyond its capacity.

The new airport will initially be able to handle 45 million passengers.

ABC Asia Pacific TV / Radio Australia

Comment

The Prime Minister is dead set on opening on the 28th, and plans to have a lot of the equipment from the old airport moved over to the new airport at 3am that day.
              ( Reminds me of Cortez burning his ships when he reached the New World, so there was no chance of retreat )

Everyone else thinks its a horrible idea. The airport's Luggage, Immigration, Security and IT systems have still not been tested thoughly. They are still deciding where the ticket counters, tour areas, etc.. should be. They have no insurance for commercial operations, and they have not gotten International Certification (they plan on getting that after they open).

At this stage it probably will open, since the Government would lose to much 'face' if it did not. But don't expect it to be smooth.
              "Snick, You Sperm Too Much" - Anon

Comment

Latest from Thai Newpapers
                NEW AIRPORT
                Twenty smooth flights, but . . .

Doubts remain over readiness to cope with heavy traffic by Sept 28

Despite the smooth landings and take-offs of the first domestic commercial flights at Suvarnabhumi Airport yesterday, critics and airline executives remain sceptical about its readiness to handle heavy traffic when it opens for full operation in September.

The International Air Transport Association (IATA), a grouping of 250 international airlines, protested that the opening date - September 28 - had been arrived at by a one-sided decision made by Airports of Thailand Plc (AOT). IATA says it has never been consulted about the date.

"Conducting test flights is a normal process for [a] new airport opening," said Albert Tjoeng, IATA manager of corporate communications, in a telephone interview from Singapore after the completion of yesterday's test fights.

"Test flights only exhibit the integrity of the procedures. It does not say anything about the airport's readiness to handle heavy traffic.

"And it is equally important that AOT engages all stakeholders, including airlines, in consultations to set a mutually agreed go or no-go decision for the opening date of the airport," Tjoeng said.

"There have been no consultations to set a mutually agreed date," he said.

Suvarnabhumi handled about 20 domestic flights yesterday, but when it is fully open more than 500 domestic and international flights are expected to fly in and out of it daily.

Democrat Party executive Kiati Sithiamorn, who has monitored the airport's construction, yesterday voiced concerns about its readiness.

The only way to prepare the airport to handle problems that may occur during peak times is through detailed and comprehensive testing, he said.

"A few test flights today mean so little when it comes to evaluating the airport's readiness," Kiati said.

"The only purpose this fanfare event served was a public-relations exercise for political purposes.

"This is very worrying, when marketing is used to cover problems that may affect the safety of people," he added.

Somchai Sawasdeepon, general manager of Suvarnabhumi Airport, said all new airports risked system break downs, especially the information technology (IT) system that links all facets of the facility, but Suvarnabhumi had prepared several measures for a back-up system.

"We have two more months to test and work out things in detail," Somchai added. "But today [yesterday's test flights] is testimony that our officials are working in full spirit. We will have a meeting on Monday to evaluate the results of the test."

Thailand's Department of Civil Aviation (DCA) on Wednesday issued an interim aerodrome certificate to the AOT stating that the physical structure of the airport was satisfactory. However, a senior DCA official told The Nation that the AOT should spend much more time testing the airport's readiness, especially the IT system that links the entire operational system.

"Hong Kong airport comprehensively tested their system for an entire year, but still ran into problems when it opened [in 1998]," said the official, who asked not to be named.

"Suvarnabhumi just started testing the system for a few months. I think we need to spend a much longer time to carry out the tests. We should open the airport when it is really ready," the official said.

When the new Hong Kong International Airport opened for commercial operation in 1998 it encountered failures in both its cargo and gate systems. Perishable goods expired and the image of the airport was tarnished.

The new Kuala Lumpur International Airport, which opened the same year, faced problems in its baggage-handling system.

IATA described the mistakes as "a costly and embarrassing experience for Hong Kong and Kuala Lumpur".

After the problematic opening of the airports in Hong Kong and Kuala Lumpur, Tjoeng said IATA developed a "New Airport Checklist" as a comprehensive guide detailing which systems and procedures should be verified prior to an airport's opening.

"We were hoping that the AOT could use the checklist as the basis for frank and open discussions to update the airlines on the readiness of Suvarnabhumi," Tjoeng said.

"We have not had enough such discussions yet."

Nantiya Tangwisutijit

The Nation

Comment

(Snick @ Jun. 20 2006,07:24) It looks like Sept 28th, like it or not.

See the article below. Looks like a disaster in the making to me.
                  Tell me!!!
                  That's the day I'll be flying back from Europe with Thai to arrive in BKK and get a connection flight to HKG!!!
                  I maybe on one of the first flights to land, if not the first being at early morning
                  Should I change my return flight date??
                  Do only what you think it's good for you, and not what others think should be good for you!

Comment

Nah, you can be out ACE reporter. I'd suggest keeping a digital camera with you at all time.

Comment

(Snick @ Jul. 30 2006,10:34) Nah, you can be out ACE reporter. I'd suggest keeping a digital camera with you at all time.
                      Hmm..I remember in the late '80s being on the first flight that landed on Changi Terminal II and it went very well, with festive reception and flowers..
                      Maybe will be the same in BKK, who knows
                      Try being optimistic then
                      Do only what you think it's good for you, and not what others think should be good for you!

Comment

More fun stuff from the local papers

Media firebrand and anti-Thaksin crusader Sondhi Limthongkul, pictured, last night accused the caretaker government of rushing to open the new Suvarnabhumi International Airport so that politicians and officials responsible for its construction can collect handsome commissions from the contractors.

Without naming names, Sondhi claimed that some 15 billion baht in commissions €“ or 10 percent of the 150 billion baht cost of the airport €“ will change hands once Suvarnabhumi formally opens on September 28 and Airports of Thailand (AoT) takes over its operations. Once this happens, all the contractors will be paid off, enabling them to pay the alleged kickbacks, he said.

€œWhy are the [government officials] in such a hurry?€ Sondhi asked rhetorically at his weekly talk show in Lumpini Hall, answering with: €œBecause they are not sure whether they can continue in office for many more months.€

Sondhi said there was more corruption involving Suvarnabhumi than any other project in the world, adding Thai Airport Ground Services (TAGS), which was awarded a long-term contract worth 23 billion baht to handle ground services at the new airport, was the sole bidder.

He claimed the majority of TAGS shares are held by Singapore-based nominees who could be traced to influential figures connected to caretaker Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra.

To substantiate his claims, Sondhi produced copies of 46 contracts allegedly made between the airport and subcontractors that he said were smuggled out by insiders.

€œA 10-year-service agreement was made with a security firm,€ Sondhi said.

€œIt is not practical to make such an agreement, except to increase the size of the kickbacks, because the terms of the agreement make it impossible to cancel it, even if services prove to be inadequate in the first year.€

To cheers from the audience, Sondhi ridiculed the government€™s demand that personnel and equipment be moved from Don Muang €“ the current international airport €“ to Suvarnabhumi in just 60 days.

€œMoving house or relocating a company takes many months of preparation and this is an airport. Are they even sure the roads to the airport are finished?€ Sondhi said.

€œSince the government has postponed the opening of Suvarnabhumi for years, why is it trying to rush it through now, except to get payment of commissions?€

Sondhi€™s fears were echoed by the International Air Transport Association (IATA) last week, prior to the first major test flights at the airport last Saturday. IATA said the government must ensure all systems are tested thoroughly and are 100 percent ready before opening Suvarnabhumi for commercial operations.

Sondhi also criticized the location of the airport, which he said was in the middle of a swamp. He predicted that the ground on which Suvarnabhumi is built would eventually subside.

€œThe area on which Suvarnabhumi is built is called Nong Ngu Hao [Cobra Swamp]. Don Muang is built on a don [elevated area],€ he said. €œWho would ever think of building an airport in a swamp? Of course it will sink,€ he said.

http://www.manager.co.th/IHT/ViewNew...=9490000099656

Comment

any new info re new airport, i';m arriiving 9-15, open, bieing used, still talking about it ?? also leaving 10/2, thx guys
                          Life is short. Live it well.

Comment

Herself flew back into the new airport this afternoon from upcountry (inside Thailand).

Tried to ask her about it on the phone - as in was it easy to get around - baggage pickup etc.
                            Her reply?  'It's very beautiful'        

Anyway she did say that taxis do come into the airport.
                            The travelling time to the apartment - not far from Ekkamai - is 25 minutes. It should take about 35 to Nana as it takes us about 10 minutes apartment to Nana in a taxi normally.
                            So travel time is likely to be roughly the same as the old airport to Nana - 30/35 mins.

The fare was 300 (inc tip) so recon about 350 to Nana on a good day and 400 when the traffic is  #!*%@!

Gave up trying to ask about other transport    -  she was in the bath  

RR.
                            Pedants rule, OK. Or more precisely, exhibit certain of the conventional trappings of leadership.

"I love the smell of ladyboy in the morning."
                            Kahuna

Comment

Anyone know what the travel time to Pattaya will be from the new airport... I am coming in on October 27 and will want to head right to the coast!

Comment

Travel time from the new airport which is open to Pattaya is appox 40-45 min depending on your rickshaw driver the train or light rail to bkk won't be availible for another year

Comment

Working...
                                X