First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Airport Photos

Comment

Well, it looks nice.
      I'm a rough-ridin', hootin' and hollerin', ladyboy lovin' cowboy! Bang bang yer dead!!!

Comment

Report from Bangkok Post on first day of operations at new airport. Primarily problems with luggage, and also overloading of check-in system forcing manual check-in of bags and passengers.

First-day fliers left irked

Baggage and check-in delays at new airport

AMORNRAT MAHITTHIROOK

A Thai Airways International plane comes in to land at Suvarnabhumi early yesterday morning as the airport opens for full commercial operations. €” NATTHITI AMPRIWAN

Frustration and confusion were among the sentiments of many passengers using Suvarnabhumi airport, which opened for full operations yesterday. The new airport, which took over duties from Don Muang at 3am, encountered several problems. The most serious was the luggage handling system run by Thai Airways International (THAI).

Other problems, less serious, were the failure of the check-in system run by Airports of Thailand Plc (AoT) and the dearth of signs inside the terminal.

Complaints from 400 South Korean passengers highlighted the dissatisfaction. ''I lost my baggage,'' one told TV crews last night after waiting for five hours after Orient Air flight OX301 from Seoul landed at 2.30pm with no sign of the luggage.

In fact, the problems began early yesterday morning. Some passengers on delayed flights, including THAI flights TG951 from Copenhagen, TG326 from Bangalore, TG945 from Rome, and Etihad Airways flight EY403 from Abu Dhabi, ran out of patience and complained when they had to wait for more than an hour to get their bags, with not an official in sight to help them out.

The opening was low-key, without an official ceremony. Only senior officials from AoT, the Transport Ministry, THAI and the Council for Democratic Reform (CDR) attended.

The atmosphere may well have been different had Thaksin Shinawatra still been in power. The launch date was set by the ousted prime minister, despite warnings from airlines and some officials, when he was head of the government before the coup on Sept 19.

Mr Thaksin, now in London after the CDR's takeover, hoped to use the airport to boost the popularity of his Thai Rak Thai party ahead of a general election.

''Had Mr Thaksin been here, the airport would have had an extravagant opening ceremony that would have been remembered for a long time,'' said an AoT official who insisted she was not pro-Thaksin.

Suvarnabhumi, located in Samut Prakan's Bang Phli district, hosted 813 flights on its first day of operations.

The airport commissioned THAI and Bangkok Airways for the ground handling services. Most airlines, including Orient Thai, hired the national flag carrier.

But THAI could not provide services for everyone. It struggled to handle luggage even for its own passengers as it did not provide enough luggage lorries.

AoT said the conveyor system functioned properly but the problem was caused because luggage lorries had not reached Suvarnabhumi from Don Muang.

THAI president Apinan Sumanaseni said all 880 lorries were moved from Don Muang to Suvarnabhumi by 2pm yesterday, but the airline later apologised for the problem.

AoT president Chotisak Asapaviriya had to solve the luggage problem by urgently hiring Thai Airports Ground Service (TAGS) to work at the new airport until this morning. . TAGS was a ground service firm at Don Muang but it lost out in its bid to work at Suvarnabhumi.

The check-in system run by AoT did not work properly from the morning-scheduled flights, causing delays for 17 out of 19 flights operated by THAI. About 200 pieces of luggage did not accompany planes carrying passengers out of the airport. The delays were between 15 and 45 minutes, the THAI president said.

THAI staff had to issue boarding passes and luggage tags by hand. The problem was due to an information overload in the system, transport permanent secretary Wanchai Sarathulthat said.

Mr Wanchai admitted that signs inside the terminal were inadequate, causing several passengers to struggle to find their way once they disembarked from aircraft.

The official ordered AoT to relocate a duty free shop and its advertising signs operated by King Power out of the arrival zone, saying they blocked the passage of passengers from airplanes to the immigration area.

King Power chief executive officer Vichai Raksriaksorn said the problem was not serious and added that the firm, which runs commercial areas at the airport, was still ready for negotiations.

AoT and Transport Ministry executives had said before the opening that the problems were not beyond their expectations for the first day of a new airport's operations. ''This is a minor problem and will not happen again once the transition period is over,'' Mr Chotisak said.

This the link to the article.

Bangkok Post New Airport Opening

Hopefully the problems will all be sorted before I get there October 20.

Click on the links below and discover how the Forums work
        Membership Levels
        The Rookie Thread
        New to The Ladyboy Forums? Introduce yourself!
        Old Members Must Reset Their Passwords

Comment

Wow, they found a fall guy pretty quick for the luggage handling problems - now if only they could actually resolve the issues - things reportedly better on Friday - let's hope it is true.

From Bangkok Post.

Suvarnabhumi baggage executive fired

(Compiled by Bangkokpost.com)
          Thai Airways International said today it has fired the executive in charge of the slow, criticised baggage handling at the new Suvarnabhumi Airport.

"The luggage problem was caused by internal management disorders at Thai Airways. We have already sacked a top person in charge of handling luggage," said THAI president Apinan Sumanaseni.

The baggage handling was the chief source of criticism on opening day at Suvranabhumi on Thursday. It was no better on Friday, and airport officials were fed up.

"The airline must look after problems for passengers," said Chotisak Aspaviriya, president of Airports of Thailand, the airport operator.

"Luggage handling equipment from Thai Airways International did not arrive on time and some luggage handlers from the airline did not even show up at the airport," he said.

Sawas Napol, coordinator of the Association of Thai Travel Agents,said much the same thing.

"I have no idea why the new airport had such major delays. I hope airport authorities will fix any problems quickly to shore up the image of our new airport," said Mr Sawat.

Baggage handling by Friday afternoon was said to be functioning well. Flight Officer Apinan said Friday afternoon he had no specific reports of problems

Breaking News: Luggage Executive Fired

Click on the links below and discover how the Forums work
          Membership Levels
          The Rookie Thread
          New to The Ladyboy Forums? Introduce yourself!
          Old Members Must Reset Their Passwords

Comment

See the following article from this morning's Nation:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Suvarnabhumi: A traveller's lament

As flight TG 401 touched down at the futuristic-looking Suvarnabhumi Airport on Friday night, the inefficiency of this new Bt150-billion facility took me and other passengers by surprise.

The impressive view from the outside, of architectural structures bathed in blue light, gave way to appalling design flaws and apparent mismanagement by officials.

"It's a new airport, so why did we have to board a bus [after deplaning]?" asked a fellow THAI traveller from Singapore.

Less than two minutes later we were stuck in a bottleneck at the only escalator from the ground floor up to the first floor. We wondered why more planning wasn't put into such a crucial matter.

Then after a considerable hike past a few duty-free shops, I arrived at the hi-tech immigration desk. It was speedy and convenient. But as I got through the counter and proceeded to find out where to reclaim my luggage, my eyes were dazzled by four flashing TV monitors with letters so tiny that anyone over 40 or with reading difficulties would have a hard time deciphering the messages.

After a few minutes of eye-straining search, I discovered that I had to go to carousel 18. But wait! When I got there, the overhead display said the luggage coming through belonged to flights from Siem Reap and Seoul, not Singapore!

There weren't enough luggage carts and it took me 10 minutes to get one.

So which computerised monitors should I trust?

I hung around with other passengers whom I recognised from our flight until one Westerner finally got his luggage. "Amazing," he said to me, as I asked if he was on that THAI flight from Singapore, to make sure that this was where my suitcase would emerge.

Then there was a sign on a pillar next to the conveyor belt printed on A4 paper. "Temporary toilet". The lack of enough toilets appeared to be haunting the new airport on Day Two.

But there was more travail to go through. The arrival lobby is too small. People squeeze together forming a wall so you can't see if someone came to pick you up.

Then I couldn't figure out where to hail a metered taxi. There was no sign and I ended up having to ask for information at an AOT counter. The woman there was pushing a pricey limousine service, but eventually caved in and told me to head one level down.

"But the queue down there is very long," she warned me. The taxi queue was actually twice, if not thrice, longer than those at Don Muang.

Why? Partly bad coordination and partly because this is a single-terminal airport. The taxi pick-up points must actually be fewer than at Don Muang, which has one domestic and two international terminals. And there was no proper sign telling you this is where you should wait!

While in line, two THAI passengers complained to me. One, an elderly gentleman who flew in from Brisbane, said he waited an hour and a half for his luggage to arrive. When he inquired about it with THAI ground staff, they didn't have a clue as to how long he had to wait.

"It was a long walk," he said, referring to the mega-long terminal and hall.

Another THAI passenger said the exit gate at the arrival hall was simply "miniature", which didn't make any sense.

Nobody seems to want to explain why this new gateway is not laid out better and more conveniently than the 92-year-old complex at Don Muang. I couldn't help wonder why AOT has to force thousands of travellers to undergo such a trying experience.

In the first few days they may claim that many things are not functioning properly because it's still new. But the management's attitude was self-congratulatory even though they should be profusely apologetic and do their best to meet travellers' expectations.

I couldn't see or feel a sense of excellence and a service mindset from them. Suvarnabhumi may end up becoming just another expensive airport that's better to look at than to use.

Perhaps a new management team that is more concerned and attentive to travellers' needs and satisfaction, comforts and convenience might improve things. A few executives deserve - not only to be shifted or reassigned - but fired.

Pravit Rojanaphruk

The Nation

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I arrived yesterday ex Singapore and can confirm all of the above

Happily, with no checked baggage, I was through immigration and in the arrivals hall within 20 minutes of ariving at the gate

The arrivals hall is, however, a mess

Sized far too small for the combined volume of people leaving customs and those waiting to greet them, it is a veritable shoving match to make your way through the hall

As previously reported here, the addition of a terminal taxi queue was an afterthought - with the result that there are no signs directing arriving passengers one floor down to join the waiting line

Moreover, because the new airport is a single terminal (as opposed to three at Don Muang) the time in the single queue waiting to get a taxi is long and tedious

Once in the taxi, however, it was a quick trip to the city - 30 minutes and 330 THB including tolls and airport surcharge

Recommendation - avoid checking your luggage if you can, go to the toilet one last time while still on the airplane, keep a sharp eye for the tiny cardboard signs in the arrival hall directing you down one level to the taxi stand, and be prepared to wait

Good luck to all

Comment

Well..did you REALLY expected anything better??
              Sometimes people forget what Thailand is....
              Do only what you think it's good for you, and not what others think should be good for you!

Comment

(thick81 @ Oct. 01 2006,12:40) Then after a considerable hike past a few duty-free shops, I arrived at the hi-tech immigration desk.
                This is it...This is what I realy wanted to know... So I can get some cigarets before the immigration ...
                So many Ladyboys so little time..

Comment

It sounds increasingly like this is yet another airport that sacrifices the needs of the users over some architects wet dream.

I wait to see what I find in a few weeks.

RR.
                  Pedants rule, OK. Or more precisely, exhibit certain of the conventional trappings of leadership.

"I love the smell of ladyboy in the morning."
                  Kahuna

Comment

I have been keeping an eye on the reports here and other boards. I have some disabilities and live in Angeles City.  I have been thinking of a trip to thailand for two years now.  I have tickets  on tiger Airline and a departure date of Oct. 26th. I am very comfortable with my disabilities, ( stroke) in angeles and am thinking of just not going to Thailand. I wonder if they will ever get this airport user friendly.
                    I know FAR MORE THAN YOU DO
                    https://asiants.com
                    https://ladyboysthai.com

Comment

I'm sure it was asked, but how much is taxi fare from the new airport to NEP?

Comment

juist flew back from bkk 4 days ago, new airport fine and
                        dandy, flew eva, they're right in the front by door 8 i
                        think, a mild walk though to the gate, past all the shops as mentioned, fare 350 baht in morning, same amount of time as from old airport, no complaints here at all
                        Life is short. Live it well.

Comment

Report from the front line (see comments below about arrival hall!!)

Flew in from Singapore Friday night
                          20h40 depart Spore, scheduled arrival 22h00
                          Actual arrival 22h15....not too bad

BUT...they bussed us from the plane to the terminal...wtf !?? US$4bn new airport, dozens of empty gates....and we have to wait for a fucking bus?

You get off the bus and walk into the ground floor of the terminal, up escalator. Looking up as you come up the escalator, it looks like a very unattractive concrete roof. At this point, I am not impressed.

Top of the escalator and confusion.....a large sign shows arrows pointing to toiltes, transfer desk, etc.....except that the arrow for immigration/passport control points 2 ways!! Fuck, lots of very confused people trying to figure out which arrow to believe......at the top of a moving escalator!!!

As the bodies start to pile up as the people getting off stop to decipher the arrows, I trample over 2 old age pensioners and make a special effort to stamp on the screaming brat that was sitting in front of me on the plane........

....and bet on the right arrow. 20 m walk, then turn right to passport control leaving the mayhem behind

Next. Passport control. Very, VERY good. The terminal is verrrrrrrry loooooong, and there are dozens and dozens of passport control desks. FAR more than Don Muang. And zero queue (but it was 10h45pm)

I thought I had arrived in Pattaya early.....last time I saw so many cute Thai chicks sitting on stools waiting to welcome fat, ugly farang was on Walking Street 4 weeks ago!!

Chose a particularly seductive looking young lady    and had to stop myself offering her 1000 baht for ST with my passport  

So I got ST.....through passport control in 30 seconds.....far faster than Don Muang, none of the camera shit that seemed to slow the whole process down before.

....and into a BIIIIIGGGGG baggage claims hall. Think Don Muang times 10 or 20. This is big. Unfortunately, baggage claim number 6 would have been a lot closer if I had taken the left arrow! Looked for a tuk tuk because it was such a long walk, but no tuk tuks in the baggage claim hall!

Luggage arrived 5 mins later....a little quicker than most of my experiences at DM, so top marks on that one. Then the looooong walk back to the exit to the arrivals...errrrrr......."hall". That is definitely the wrong choice of word. Arrivals telephone kiosk, or arrivals matchbox would be more accurate.

Whoever designed the arrivals hall should be shot. Someone must have got the decimal point wrong on the architects drawings or something....what a disaster.

For those of you who have played rugby or aussie rules football, you will feel very comfortable going into the arrivals hall! For the Americans reading this, take your nancy padding and helmets with you....you will need them.

One small exit to an arrivals hall that is 10 metres deep....max, and hundreds of people waiting to greet the people coming through, touts selling limos to the city, etc. CHAOS.

And I don't know what they can do about it, since the physical building shape cannot be changed!! I cannot imagine how bad this will be at a busy time of day. Total chaos.

Veer left a little, punch 5 limo touts trying to charge 900 Baht into city, and see hand-written sign down escalator (no trolleys!!) to taxi rank. Zero queue, 259 baht meter plus 50 baht plus 65 baht tools = 374h Baht to Nana. 30 mins, very smooth....again this was 11pm, not rush hour

Overall, apart from that disaster of an arrivals hall, not bad
                          Mister Arse

Comment

Whoever designed the arrivals hall should be shot

I agree with you on that one Stewart, Why didnt they look at the airports in S/pore or HK? Airports in Asia are notorious for people crowding the arrival hall I came in from Hanoi last week and the bus dropped off about 20 yards from the immigration, which only took about 5 mins, then through the baggage claim and customs in no time, then I hit the arrival hall."Yeah thats more like it"
                                                             If you come in at peak hour be ready to have to fight for a cab, there were no barriers just a big fuck off loop of bodies, the taxis dont even stop at the right place and so everyone just broke from the queue and grabbed the nearest one.This was after I tried the old Don Muang arrival hall taxi move which they seemed to be clamping down on, this will probably slacken off in a month or too.
                                                    "Number 1 airport in Asia"
                                                       I had been told by the poor Thais fed shite info,
                                                      "Number 1 airport in .........erm......BKK I Think you meant to say"
                                                  Still you can get to Pattaya in 35-40 minutes if you have a driver on the lunatic fringe.
                            When she walks, she’s like a samba
                            That swings so cool and sways so gentle

Comment

Number 1 airport in Asia"
                              I had been told by the poor Thais fed shite info,
                              "Number 1 airport in .........erm......BKK I Think you meant to say"
                              Changi has got nothing to wrry about yet, that's for sure
                              Mister Arse

Comment

Just back from LOS. Cost and corruption aside, Suvarnabhumi wasnt a problem for me. It's huge so its a little more walking than at DM. Came in on EVA, bags were waiting on carousel when I got there (try that at JFK). Plenty of cabs and sedans (they call 'em limos. A shrunk-limo as opposed to a stretch?) available outside. Cab from airport to Majestic Grande took 40 minutes (moderate traffic) and 400 baht (they tack on a 50 baht airport fee to the ride into town). No problems on the way out either, ticket lines moved right along. My suggestion for improving the airport = trannies driving golf carts to transport us from arrival gates to the baggage claim.
                                I know FAR MORE THAN YOU DO
                                https://asiants.com
                                https://ladyboysthai.com

Comment

Working...
                                X