Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reality I would call it......they are REALLY thinking about partially closing it.
    I can't really reply properly to that as we would more than likely end up in a discussion about politics, and one has to be careful in the current political climate here in Thailand.

All I will say is, imho, it would be another MASSIVE mistake to close it in part, imagine the mess, for passengers, staff, hardware, etc etc.

Imagine the loss of face.

I personally think the Bangkok Post and some of its reporters are being far too negative about Suvarnabhumi.

If the FAA and other International bodies call for closure then I will pay more attention until then I am looking forward to retruning to the domestic terminal for some more of that pizza.

Comment

I used the new airport twice during my last trip once international and once domestic and I found it fine, yeah its big but what the fuck, at least its not crowded, check-in was a breeze on both occasions, and as for taxis we just wen up to the departures level and grab a cab that was dropping some one off, didn't have to wait on either occasion, we stayed out minburi way and it was only a 45 min 150baht taxi ride.

If I was to complain then its the fact there is no starbucks after passport control
      Too old to die young!

Comment

Don't know what all the fuss is about. thought it was/is great
        seriously pig headed,arrogant,double standard smart ass poster!

Comment

Nothing to bitch or complain about on my in and out this past week.

Comment

I have made 6 visits (3 in/out) for international flights and 2 visits for domestic flights (1 in/1 out) since December 17th  and thought it was a terrific improvement (and a thousand times better than Heathrow, JFK, LAX etc).

Sure, construction is shoddy, but we all know/assume why that is; have we not all come to expect that as a fact of life in the Thai construction industry?

Apropos Stogie Bear€™s post of 10 December 206 on ownership (Post 45) I was told by a couple of people that a certain recently influential person (no longer residing in Thailand) had been involved in ensuring that the Head Lease of all retail units and concessions had been given to a close personal relative either in perpetuity or for 999 years.
            Whether this is fact or legend I know not €“ but given other rumours one has heard, it is certainly conceivable.

Comment

Now the Airport Authority of Thailand has decided they should reopen the old Airport to domestic flights with no international connections.

This is being done to delay the time to build and open a new domestic terminal and relieve some of the pressure on the new airport to effect repairs due to the problems causes by the substandard materials, shoddy construction and unauthorized changes from the original design.

From Bangkok Post, Jan. 12/07

Bangkok Post Reopening Don Muang

AoT backs rebirth of Don Muang
              Old airport to service some domestic routes

AMORNRAT MAHITTHIROOK

The board of Airports of Thailand Plc yesterday approved the use of Don Muang for domestic flights with no international connections and set March 15 as the possible date for the relaunch of services at the old airport.

In an attempt to save costs from expanding Suvarnabhumi airport and to fully use its existing infrastructure, the board led by chairman Gen Saprang Kalayanamitr decided to move to Don Muang domestic flights with no connections to international routes operated by Thai Airways International (THAI) and no-frills carriers. Domestic flights with passengers connecting with international routes will remain at Suvarnabhumi.

It targeted March 15 for the resumption of regular services for Don Muang, which was closed on Sept 28, when the country's main airport moved to Suvarnabhumi.

The March 15 date was set to allow sufficient time to prepare for an expected surge in air travel to the provinces during the Songkran holiday.

Sources in the Airports of Thailand (AoT) board said its president Chotisak Asapaviriya told the meeting that the March 15 move was possible. However, he told reporters afterwards that he could not guarantee complete success.

The decision was based on a study by AoT to compare the advantages and disadvantages of expanding Suvarnabhumi against relocating domestic services to Don Muang.

The use of Don Muang to ease air traffic at Suvarnabhumi would give officials more flexibility to fix a number of problems at the new airport, sources said.

Mr Chotisak said the board has directed AoT to work on the details of the use of Don Muang and forward them to the Transport Ministry - which oversees the airport agency - within two weeks. After that the ministry, which has already made clear its preference for Don Muang, needs cabinet approval for the plan.

Based on the current volume of passengers, Suvarnabhumi will serve 42 million passengers a year, just three million shy of its full capacity.

Don Muang accommodated almost 39 million passengers a year before it was closed to regular flights. It currently services only chartered and special flights.

Moving domestic flights with no connections to Don Muang will defer plans to expand the new airport, including the need to build a new terminal to service only local flights in the future.

The move will boost revenues at Don Muang, which currently earns only 500,000 baht a month from the chartered and special flights.

Don Muang director Pinit Saraithong said the airport was ready for the return to services because none of the facilities, including ground and safety equipment, had been moved to Suvarnabhumi.

However, he said the airport needed about 45 days to prepare for the return of regular passengers and to hire more security staff. With existing facilities, Don Muang could serve up to 15 million passengers a year for a decade, he added.

Airlines with domestic services - THAI, Nok Air, Thai AirAsia and One-Two-Go - supported yesterday's decision.

Bangkok Airways could not be reached for comment.

THAI president Apinan Sumanaseni said the national flag carrier needed one month to move some equipment and hire more staff to be stationed at Don Muang but he said it was not a serious problem for the airline.

Mr Apinan said flights serving popular destinations among international passengers such as Phuket, Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai and Hat Yai could remain at Suvarnabhumi.

Nok Air CEO Patee Sarasin praised the decision, which could save AoT at least 1.4 billion baht from constructing a new domestic building at Suvarnabhumi.

One-Two-Go chief executive and founder Udom Tantiprasongchai also hailed the decision, saying it was a ''good decision'' to shift domestic routes to Don Muang.

But Thai AirAsia CEO Tassapon Bijleveld said the move to Don Muang should be on a voluntary basis. He admitted that the move would affect Thai AirAsia, which needed to rotate its fleets between international and domestic flights.

Click on the links below and discover how the Forums work
              Membership Levels
              The Rookie Thread
              New to The Ladyboy Forums? Introduce yourself!
              Old Members Must Reset Their Passwords

Comment

I really do wonder what the Bangkok Post are up to when it comes to Suvarnabhumi, cannot remember reading a positive word about the place.

Anyway, what a joke. For those that think there are problems with Suvarnabhumi just wait until (and if they do) mess around with a Don Muang re-opening.

Re-opening DM must be the most stupid idea I have heard in a long time (well at least for a couple of weeks anyway).

Then we will have problems galore!

Comment

So..
                  If you are going to fly to Udontani ..You have to go to old airport.?!..
                  So many Ladyboys so little time..

Comment

As far as I know TG will fly to Phuket, Krabi and Chiang Mai (certain flights from Suvarnabhumi) and all other domestic from DM. Bangkok Airways likely to stay at S.

So yes, to get to Udon Thani you would not to transfer to DM.

It is the most stupid idea I have ever heard. Sends another BAD message to the International Investment Community.

IATA seems to agree:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/Business/13Jan2007_biz43.php

Comment

(69billy @ Jan. 12 2007,23:26) So..
                      If you are going to fly to Udontani ..You have to go to old airport.?!..
                      Hi Billy, the final decision has not yet been made, so right now, no.

However should they go ahead with the plan to move domestic flights back to Don Muang then yes, you would have to fly to Udon Thani from the old airport.

Keep you eyes open for the final decision. If they do go ahead, the estimated time to shift the domestic flights back would be around March. If this is when you will be making your trip to Udon Thani, be prepared.

Membership Levels
                      The Rookie Thread

Comment

On Monday, Tuesdays, Thursday and alternating sundays you have to go to the old airport.
                        Wedsdays and Saturdays you have to go the new airport.
                        Unless you are flying to Udon Thani, in which case its the old airport on Monday, Wedsday, Thursdays and alternating sundays.

Subject to change of course.
                        "Snick, You Sperm Too Much" - Anon

Comment

More news about the coming shift of domestic flights back to Don Muang Airport. This time from the Nation - the copywriter obviously has a sense of humour!

Thai, Going Back to the Future

DON MUANG AIRPORT
                          THAI going back to the future

National carrier to move all but three of its domestic routes from Suvarnabhumi to old airport to save on operating costs

Thai Airways International is moving all of its domestic routes, except those involving Phuket, Chiang Mai and Khon Kaen, to Don Muang airport once the Cabinet approves its reopening.

The move aims to save on operating costs, which are higher at the new Suvarnabhumi Airport. The flag carrier recently said the move to Suvarnabhumi had added Bt3.7 billion to its annual operating costs.

THAI president Apinan Sumanaseni said yesterday that only flights on three routes would be operated at Suvarnabhumi as they carry a large number of foreign passengers who are taking connecting flights to overseas destinations.

On Thursday, Airports of Thailand's (AOT) board approved in principle the reopening of the old airport following an outcry from low-cost airlines over the higher operating fees.

Budget airlines have complained about the higher costs of using the new international airport, which took over domestic and international flights when it opened on September 28.

Yesterday, AOT informed the Stock Exchange of Thailand that its board had approved reopening the capital's old airport for domestic flights, a move that would reduce operating costs for budget airlines.

Deputy Transport Minister Sansern Wongcha-um said the reopening of Don Muang would relieve AOT from the future investment of Bt1.4 billion for the construction of a low-cost airline terminal.

However, he is unsure whether the move will be permanent. The issue will be forwarded to the Cabinet for approval, possibly next week.

"This should help AOT delay the new investment for four or five years," Sansern said yesterday, adding that the authorities are also addressing the reported cracks on Suvarnabhumi's taxi ways.

AOT said in the statement that if the Cabinet approved the plan, airlines flying non-transit domestic routes would have the option of moving back to Don Muang.

Low-cost carriers including Nok Air and One Two Go have shown interest in moving their operations to Don Muang airport. However, AirAsia wants to move both domestic and international routes back to the old airport.

Apinan said few passengers would be troubled by THAI's intended move. The airline will provide a shuttle-bus service serving the two airports.

He added that THAI would finalise a domestic flight timetable and a comparison of operating costs between the two airports within two weeks.

"Operating costs at the former airport would be cheaper than Suvarnnabhumi Airport. Moreover, Don Muang will be less of a problem for matters such as landing fees, parking fees and ground services, as well as leading to shorter delays. Meanwhile, passengers will also save on travel time and transportation expenditure," said Apinan.

The airline chief also said THAI was proceeding with a plan to set up a new airline, details of which are expected to be completed in six months. The new carrier will operate only domestic routes, using Don Muang airport.

However, investment costs and a formal name have not yet been decided.

"THAI will take a 100-per-cent share in the new airline," Apinan added.

The carrier is will be a full-service airline positioned between low-cost operators and THAI.

THAI will transfer aircraft and facilities to the new airline.

Suchat Sritama

The Nation

Ok Billy, watch for the final approval for this change. Once they give the final approval, YES you will have to fly to Udon Thani from the old Dong Muang airport and not according to the days of the week, lol! There will be an estimate of the date of the shift. Keep your eyes peeled!

TIT!

Membership Levels
                          The Rookie Thread

Comment

TIT...
                            As soon going to be the and of the financial year in U.K in 31Mar. Yesterday I find out I still have 7 days off holidays I have to use before then...
                            If I can put this days together with the weekends thet Im off ,I can have 12days off
                            Looks like I'll be Flying off to LOS in first week of Mar...And plan is going to Udon Thani to see Nony and looking at time tabels ,Nok Air was the best one for me...

TIT..so I'm hoping all this wont kickoff till May-Jun...
                            So many Ladyboys so little time..

Comment

(69billy @ Jan. 13 2007,17:04) TIT...
                              As soon going to be the and of the financial year in U.K in 31Mar. Yesterday I find out I still have 7 days off holidays I have to use before then...
                              If I can put this days together with the weekends thet Im off ,I can have 12days off
                              Looks like I'll be Flying off to LOS in first week of Mar...And plan is going to Udon Thani to see Nony and looking at time tabels ,Nok Air was the best one for me...

TIT..so I'm hoping all this wont kickoff till May-Jun...
                              Better take Air Asia to UTH.

Air Asia has 2 flights, on in the morning, one in the afternoon.

I like the planes, the service on board, the staff of Nok air, but:
                              Nok Air does not accept international credit cards online. Therefore you have to phone their call center, send all your data unsecured via fax, call back.... The lines are always busy, so that the total cost add up to an amount which would cover a Thai Air ticket !

The procedure with Nok Air took in total more than 2 hours, with a ridiculous number of tries to reach their call center and get a free fax line, not to talk about the cost involved.

Comment

That Nation article posted today a couple of posts up is incorrect.

Thai Airways International is moving all of its domestic routes, except those involving Phuket, Chiang Mai and Khon Kaen, to Don Muang airport once the Cabinet approves its reopening.
                                It should read Phuket, Chiang Mai and and Krabi.

And just let me add (again) that I think this is the most stupid idea I have heard in quite a while. Wonder what they will be playing with next.

Anybody who has transfered from International to Domestic in Manila when it was two separate terminals knows what a nightmare that set up can be.

Comment

Working...
                                X