X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thailand medical scofflaws.

Thailand to track down tourists who skip hospital bills. FOREIGN TOURISTS failed to pay a combined Bt300 million in medical bills

I did check with my local medical coverage provider and they do cover medical bills for one hospital in Pattaya and another in Bangkok. I think what happens is I must pay the bills in full with my own money and take the bill back home to give to my provider. Then a long wait for a refund. Better than nothing. Gotta be sure it's written in English. Can't help if the bill is in Bahts. For those you whose provider does NOT cover Thailand, I suggest your seriously buy foreign medical insurance. Not sure if my Mastercard, Amex, or Visa does that. Will have to ask. Would be good to pay your bills with your credit card that does cover medicals. Get informed!

News like this tells me many of these moneyless schmuck tourists are young hippie backpackers who come with dollars and no credit cards, no medical insurance, and no brains. So that's why my local Thai consulate wants copies of my private bank statements showing how much I have in my savings and checking accounts. I think in the future ALL countries will require this obnoxious detail because they are sick and tired of poor irresponsible tourists. Trouble they can't WHO is irresponsible so must screen EVERYBODY like the TSA and DEA trying desperately to stop the opiod deaths. Throw the baby out with the bathwater!

So expect Thailand to get more expensive, the arrival of an entry fee, higher farang charges for all kinds of things dealing with foreign matters, and so and so. Thailand is poor and loves the tourists, BUT the unpaid medical bills are destroying their profits. What would you do if you were a Thai or a tourist/farang to help their "damned if you do and damned if you don't" situation?

All that is written in this article makes sense.

It's a shame that foreigners going to Thai hospitals skip the bills. The LOS doesn't have to be a free service country for tourists coming from better off countries. Although it's a kingdom, the unpaid bills will be paid by the Thai taxpayers, not the king or I don't know who. The Thai administration is entitled to take guarantees since too many assholes left the LOS without paying. It's a restriction of freedom for every one but it's fair to protect poor people paying care for richer ones. Freedom must find a limit, even in Thailand with careless farangs.

Farangs shouldn't complain, more particularly American citizens. In Europe, almost everybody has a state insurance and in case they can't show their "social security" ID, they pay, then ask the social security to be paid back. But the USA are reputed to be a rough place where people must show financial guarantees before they are brought to a room to see a doctor. This happened to me in Georgia more than 22 years ago. I understand that an American clinic/hospital needs to take guarantees about payments but American citizens shouldn't be shocked that Thailand foes the same.

Having experienced an emergency in Thailand, I can add that the Thai hospital (a private one) didn't check my guarantees of payment before taking care of me. I had high level care, then I paid exactly as in Europe. It is time for Americans to realize that they are neither the owners nor the aristocrats of the world.

Comment

In Hawaii doctor's secretaries always ask what kind of medical coverage you have before scheduling a visit with their doctor. If no insurance they politely decline them. In emergency rooms they have to accept any patient because of the Hippocratic Oath. But they do ask if they have medical insurance. I always show them a photocopy of all my medical cards, driver's license, defibrillator model ID and make, and all sorts of medical information on a need to know basis. This always opens the door to full medical coverage. If a schmuck doesn't have any insurance they will just put a bandage on, dispense a few pain pills, and tell them to see their doctor immediately the next morning. If you have a ruptured eye ball and no insurance, no ophthalmologist will come to the emergency room knowing there is no medical. But if a guy is stabbing with his gut hanging out they WILL surgically correct it but only so much. They have been known to just say there are no open beds. Since Thailand is Thailand and not a Western country I would love to see Thailand hospitals and doctors just redirect the uninsured irresponsible fools to their nearest embassy and make them pay their bills. Maybe from now on Thailand consulates and embassies should require proof of medical insurance along with proof of financial responsibility shown by copies of their checking and savings account. This should all be done BEFORE they even set foot on Thai soil. These hippies and various categories of bums are giving us tourists a bad name.

Comment

Working...
      X