X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AirBNB in Thailand

So I was Bangkok with my girlfriend and we wanted to go to the beach for a week.
    After deciding on perhaps Hua Hin we looked around at hotel prices.
    Then after seeing quite high prices decided to look for longer rentals and remembered Airbnb.com
    There was quite a number of places near Hua Hin of varying prices finally I like this listing but it had no reviews.
    The price was about 12000 baht for 7 days. There was immediate confirmation from the website that the owner accepted, so we were on our way.
    On the day we got a van to Hua Hin for 1800 baht and away we went to the boathouse condo in Hua Hin.
    I had sent the owner several messages without response on the airbnb site. On the way we phoned and text the phone number on his profile with no response.
    When we get to the condos security won't let us in because we have no information. After explaining we go inside to the office.
    They say they know the guy and give us a different number to phone. We phone this number and the guy then phones back right away.
    He says the condo is not available and he had no idea we were coming as he never checks the site. This is great considering it is set to auto- confirm.
    So anyone used to booking on hotel sites would think they had a room. I told the guy off and he said he would try to help.

So we were sitting in the lobby of the condo building with our bags but no condo even though I already paid for a week.
    Seem typical of what you might expect doing this sort of thing in Thailand, but I'm sure this could happen anywhere.
    In the end airbnb.com gave me a credit equal to what I paid within a couple hours. Meanwhile I saw i could rent in the same boathouse condo on Agoda.
    Many of these Airbnb condos can be found on other travel sites that are more reliable.

So with my credit I went back on Airbnb and looked at other nearby condos and found this one on Cha Am beach for slightly less.
    Paid 10682 baht for 7 days in a small one bedroom condo with balcony and large pool right on the beach.

The website refunded the difference, still it was a hassle.
    We phoned the owner right away and he answered and said it was ok just not freshly cleaned.
    When we got there, it had some trash but generally was in decent shape.
    He sent his cleaner the next day with a flat of water and some dishes. The was a kitchen but no stove or oven, just a microwave.
    So we were set up for week in a nice place which seemed quite deserted.
    Of course Cha am beach was not as desirable as Hua Hin beaches but it was a nice location none the less.

I did see there was also similar price units on Agoda at this same complex but not beach view.

Ours had only one cleaning but these others may be done daily, our host did offer additional cleaning.

In the end it all worked out but partly because there is many properties in the area and I was able to choose another quickly.
    It probably is not a good idea to use airbnb where there is few options or confirm well in advance.
    I did only book 2 days before in this case.

After all we did not end up close to Hua Hin and about a 30 minute drive.
    Plus had I known more about Cha Am I would have booked closer to the Cha am village which had more services and nicer beaches.
    This place had no restaurants and only a few within walking distance and also one 7-11 close.
    A 20+ minute walk could get you to the village. The resort had bicycles to use and you could order a motor bike rental.
    We tried both and eventually rented a bike in town for cheaper.

Still we got what we wanted a beach front condo with balcony and nice pool.
    It was quiet and romantic for sure. Also very very cheap in the Cha Am area for food and entertainment.

Here is a pic from our balcony and the pool and nearby beach.

Attached Files
    www.ladyboysthai.com

I guess according to this article AirBNB is still illegal in Thailand.
    BANGKOK — Airbnb announced new additions to its service in Thailand on Wednesday, even as a representative of the hospitality giant sidestepped questions about its legal status. Five years after it launched in Thailand, Airbnb is working with the authorities to address the regulatory issues, company cofounder Joe Gebbia said at a Thursday news conference

Subletting short time is not permitted, among other laws.

www.ladyboysthai.com

Comment

I recently stayed at a large Bangkok condo complex with my GF who is renting by the month.
      On all the doors they had a sign warning day and weekly renters that they were breaking the law and would be reported to the police.
      So best be careful about renting daily and weekly on AirBnB and other similar sites.
      It may seem like a good deal but you could have problems.
      Attached Files
      www.ladyboysthai.com

Comment

Working...
      X