X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suk 11 Hostel and Cheap Charlies Closed

Well one of my all time favourite restaurants in Bangkok is closing.
    The Suk 11 Hostel restaurant which is on a privately owned side soi that includes the hostel and many restaurants including Cheap Charlies, a very cheap and famous drinking place.
    A developer has bought the property for a large development, as the character slowly drains way from Bangkok just a little bit more.

I first discovered the Suk 11 hostel when I was walking around killing some time one afternoon. It was late afternoon so it looked like a cool place to eat.
    After the best Panang Gai I have tried and a few beers I was hooked. I took Flamingo Farmer there a couple years ago and he liked it too, especially the Mai Tais.
    We have also dined there with some ladyboys on a number of occasions, even they think it was good and had never heard of it.
    It was my secret place, even many Thais did not know about it. I was very rustic and mostly outdoors but with lots of greenery right in the middle of Bangkok a small Oasis.

Cheap Charlies is a unique bar that is like nothing else. It didn't stay open super late but it was always packed in the evening with people blocking the alley at times.
    That Bar is probably more famous than the Hostel and restaurant whose owner held title to this land up until now but the whole soi was cool and interesting.
    Cheap Charlies could actually move since it is just a huge service bar plunked on the side of the alley, adorn with many oddities and cool trinkets.

The Hostel itself had been there around 40 years and was pretty much in it's original state, visiting here was like going back in Bangkok Time.
    Since most of the tables were out in the alley it was subject to rain issues, however they had a plastic drainage system that was simply amazing.
    All the food I have tried there was great and the service was always good and friendly.

I'll always remember the second last time I went there with Layla and Flamingo Farmer in October. Layla called up her ladyboy friend to join us and meet Flamingo Farmer.
    She showed up at the restaurant in a very risque slitted dress which turned every head in the place. We ate lots and had many drinks but had to move inside later due to heavy rainfall. It will be missed.

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/life/e...heap-charlies/
    https://coconuts.co/bangkok/food-dri...soi-11-photos/
    https://coconuts.co/bangkok/food-dri...rties-tonight/
    https://coconuts.co/bangkok/features...ld-developers/
    Attached Files
    www.ladyboysthai.com

Why am I learning about all the good places to eat and visit AFTER they are closed? Hey, Crag. Lemmee borrow your girlfriend and her friends as my tour guides. Progress is shutting down all the unique things that are Thai. Boy, just thinking if we were there when they first opened up. 1977. Why that's one year before I entered medical school in Manila. At that time Marcos wanted to make the P.I. the number one sex capital of Asia. He sure did a great job, and ALL my dreams came true while I was still young. The Viet Nam War ended April 30, 1975. Talk about good timing. I replaced the military boys right at the same time they were leaving for good. Should have seen all the bars and girls of Olongapo (olong GA po) right at the water's edge of Subic Bay. Filipino girls are so loving and want to marry you or have your babies. But the best babes came to Manila's Ermita Mabini district. Bars after bars. Even had a place called the Hobbit House where midgets worked. After successful work at night the girls would go the outdoor restaurants overlooking Manila Bay and eat hearty breakfasts with their one-night husbands. They were so beautiful in their party dresses, perfect makeup, and wide smiles showing their white teeth. Even though I wasn't in Thailand I had a super memorable time for four years in the Philippines. Now after five visits to Bangkok, Phuket, and Pattaya my bucket list needs to be refilled with requests.

Comment

Originally posted by George Pill View Post
      Why am I learning about all the good places to eat and visit AFTER they are closed? Hey, Crag. Lemmee borrow your girlfriend and her friends as my tour guides. Progress is shutting down all the unique things that are Thai. Boy, just thinking if we were there when they first opened up. 1977. Why that's one year before I entered medical school in Manila........
      I know I mentioned this place in my trip reports but I don't think I posted specifically about this restaurant.
      My girlfriend and her friends couldn't help you find this place since I found this one all by myself. It is even across the street from Climax disco and they still didn't know it.
      You can't have my girlfriend but her friend BAM pictured there is available. I can get you her details if you are coming to LOS.

I imagine in 1977 There wasn't much development around the Suk 11 Hostel.
      This place was a little flashback of Bangkok past.

Cheap Charlies was a real cool bar but I never actually had a drink there.
      However it could pop up elsewhere since it looks fairly portable.

Attached Files
      www.ladyboysthai.com

Comment

that's the fun part of traveling and exploring. Just get on a bus and make a round trip. What's that path? Maybe I should walk through there. There might be some interesting photos to be had. This place might disappear the next time I pass by. Is that my next lover today? Which hotel shall I stay at? Just eerie Minnie minney mo on Agoda.com. Fun lifestyle.

Comment

The Suk 11 restaurant and hostel is still actually open everything else on the block is closed though.
          Get it while you can.
          www.ladyboysthai.com

Comment

Working...
          X