Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lea T.

FASHION SUPERMODELS

In a snakeskin mono-kini and pink denim hot-pants, Lea T. emerges from a faux tropical portico and saunters into the bright lights.

This is Fashion Rio. Latin- America's signature fashion event form summer-wear, and for weeks now the buzz has been building to just this moment. All night, sylphs in beach gear have walked the fashion planks, but they might as well be teasers for Lea.

A dozen steps later, with a practiced pout and a hip-check salute to the camera pit at the end of the runway, the 29 year-old model with a dragon tattoo on her pelvis owns the crowd. As the bleachers erupt in wolf whistles, who would have figured that the hottest new face from Brazil is not a she at all?

Brazilian beauties are hardly strangers to the world of high-style, but never mind Gisele and the Girl from Ipanema.

The new sensation of the runways is Lea T., a transgender model who fell into the trade almost by accident and has been making outsize waves ever since. Atop a runway for the first time less than a year ago, she has graced magazine covers, posed fully nude for French Vogue, and fled the paparazzi. She donned swimwear for compatriot designer Alexandre Herchcovitch and strapped into a full bikini for Blue Man in Rio last week, to the delight of gawkers on Copacabana beach.

That was her in a lip lock with Kate Moss on a recent cover of the French magazine Loue, and that was her again on Oprah, in February when she detailed how to flaunt the scantiest women€™s gear without spilling secrets. She is now listed No. 42 on Models.com's top 50 models. And to judge by the ruckus in Rio, Lea's rise is just beginning.

Couture is an edgy business, of course, and players in the mega-billion-dollar industry where the only sin is a bad fiscal quarter, have resorted to all manner of trope, prop, and aesthetic hooks in the scramble for sound-bites and market share.

From Benetton's blood-spattered apparel and death-row campaigns to the pasty wastrels of photographer David Sorrenti€™s heroin chic, fashion moguls have tried it all, often pushing the envelope of taste and commercial decorum.

€œFashion is always outrageous in difficult times€, Italian designer Elsa Schiaparelli famously said, and that was back in World War ll. So it still is, and now gender bending is part of the canon.

Both Vogue ltalie and Vogue Paris recently roiled out androgyny issues, and one of the class acts of the international runway today is Andrej Pejic, the towheaded, flat-chested Serbian femi-man-ranked 48th among the world€™s sexiest women, according to For Him Magazine - who dons both men€™s- and women€™s-wear on the runway . €Oh Lord, I have sinned, with everyone€, read his diaphanous blouse at Fashion Rio, and Lea is a perfect symbol for that.

Becoming a symbol comes with a price, and Lea has paid hers. It's not just the cheap jokes and gibes she absorbed on the macho streets of Brazil and Italy.

Born Leandro Medeiros Cerezo, she is the scion of Brazilian football legend Toninho
    Cerezo, the hustling defensive mid-fielder, who played 74 games for the national team, scoring seven goals. Rugged and tall, hailing from the inland state of Minas Gerais, Cerezo divided his victory studded career between Brazil and Italy, raising four children in the stardust. If it were up to him, all would have worn cleats.

Leandro had other ideas.

Her father had long harboured suspicions that Leandro was different. But perhaps it was that day in the stadium, with Corinthians and San Paulo squaring off on the grass below, that it all clicked.

The Brazilian Hall of Famer had squired his kids to the match for a live-action glimpse of the game that makes this nation's pulse race, and there was young Leandro asleep in the bleachers. But idols don€™t give up easily: later, in Italy, while playing for the Genoa club Sampdoria, Cerezo decided to enrol his heirs in football camp. Leandro never gave the ball a second look.

It was still a long way to powder and paint, but over the years Leandro grew into a new identity First came the hair, grown long and luxurious, then came the breast implants, and slowly the awkward, gangly Leo became limber Lea.

Today she is tall and dark and as ethereal as any of the 2O-something divas who work the catwalks. Her coffee complexion, the delicately angular face behind lustrous hair and the faintest hint of a lisp give her a vulnerable, almost hyper feminine air. Only the hands, which are long and her tremulous tenor, which she keeps to a breathy undertone, belie the angel€™s tableau.

Today Lea radiates confidence. But all through her teens she thrashed around in doubt, now attracted to women, now to men, occasionally sinking into bouts of self-revulsion. All the while, she bore up under quips and insults.

€œPeople called me prostitute, a slut, a sex fiend," she said in an interview in Rio. "In time, you grow a shell€.

For a while, Lea kept quiet. In ltaly she worked as an assistant for stylist Patti Wilson, scraping by on a modest salary. Then she met Riccardo Tisci, the Italian designer, now with Givenchy, who was struck by Lea€™s exotic beauty and encouraged her to try the fashion world.

€œI had studied the arts, but Riccardo was so into fashion that he contaminated me with his enthusiasm."

The friendship grew and soon Lea added an honorary T, to her name. It may not be the first time a celebrity son or daughter has deliberately ditched a legacy surname, but remarkably Lea preferred taking a plunge onto an uncertain path of her own, to a life trapped in the amber of inherited fame.

From that moment on, she would be a Cerezo to the immigration authorities and bureaucrats, but Lea T to the world of bright lights and fashion.

At Tisci's urging, she began to do photo shoots, mostly conceptual work for fashion-industry insiders and photographers. But journalists got wind of the new, exotic Brazilian on the circuit, and soon Lea's cover was blown.

Drag queens and transvestites may be the toast of the annual Carnival, but for most Brazilians the frolicking stops on Ash Wednesday.

The news of Lea€™s new profession hit the Cerezo household hard. "My mother has seven sisters, all are super traditional and very Catholic, and no one wanted to hear about it at first," Lea says. "But no one turned their back on me€™.

She notes that several members of her family had come to Rio to watch her on the catwalk. Remarkably, it was the jock who took it in stride. At first, the Brazilian media trumpeted an ugly falling out between Lea and her dad, and earlier this year Cerezo abruptly quit his job coaching a league team in Pernambuco, in macho north-eastern Brazil, €œto get my life in order" he said.

Yet the footballer has publicly wished Lea well and now even makes light of the whole affair. €œEvery now and then someone might insult me, but they€™ve already cussed out my mother so many times!" he recently told the Brazilian sports journal Lance Net! "We'll get over it.€

By all appearances, Lea already has. She speaks calmly about her hormone treatment in the run up to her sex-change operation, the final step in her transformation, from which there is no dialling back. And yet if she is worried about being trapped in a new stereotype, it doesn€™t show.

€œI want to send a message that transsexuals do not have to be prostitutes or hide their identities to be part of society€, she says.€The day I am no longer identified as a transsexual is the day my career is over.€ For now at least, fashion's latest frontier still looks wide open.

From NEWSWEEK - Issue Dated 20 June 2011

The writer of this article, Mac Margolis, a long-time correspondent for NEWSWEEK, has contributed to The Economist, The Washington Post, and The Christian Science Monitor, and is the author of €œThe Last New World: The Conquest of the Amazon Frontier.€
    Attached Files

When I got to the pics, they were not quite what I was expecting from the play-up in the articles. I think the Serb femboy is much hotter. Maybe I just haven't seen Tea in the best light.
    "The Ladyboy Collection- start yours today!"

Comment

Yup... This is easily a man in drag.
      I'm feeling rough and it's a combination of air and water...

Comment

this pic of lea t. sort of look like a drag, but some of her pics are really stunning, she is now doing an ad campaign for a big Brazilian designer for swimwear.... shes lovely...

also, i cant help but mention the androgynous ANDREJ PEJIC... he/she is the next big thing in modelling world... he models for both men and women's wear... she/he is so hot both when he makes up as a man or woman... i would have sex with him/her... so fucking hot...
        garcia

Comment

Andrej Androgynously Fierce.
          You Can Take Taneisha Out Of The Party, But You Can't Take The Party Out Of Taneisha  

http://imlive.com/_/0493/386493/SluttyTaneisha53628.htm

Comment

Andrej Pejic, Tan, was covered in the "Cissysboys" in February:

By Charlotte Williamson 7:00AM GMT 20 Feb 2011 - Sunday Telegraph (UK)

Tall and impossibly skinny, with impeccably arched eyebrows and cheekbones sharp as diamonds: on first impression, fashion€™s latest darling looks no different to any of the other freaks of nature gliding through the offices of Storm model agency.

Except this season€™s most-wanted model isn€™t, for once, a she €“ it€™s a he.

In an industry obsessed with the new, fashion has certainly found it with Andrej Pejic. Last month, the 19-year-old €“ already something of a name in menswear €“ caused a stir when he modelled womens-wear for the Paris couture shows; he even wore a wedding dress for Jean Paul Gaultier.

Right now, Pejic is very much in demand. As well as editorials with prestigious photographers such as Steven Meisel and Mert & Marcus for Paris and Italian Vogue, he is the gender-bending face of the new advertising campaign for Marc by Marc Jacobs. Tonight he will be back in women€™s clothing, modelling on the catwalk for Vivienne Westwood as part of London Fashion Week.

So which does he prefer €“ men€™s or women€™s? €œI€™m comfortable doing both,€ he says, €œalthough womens-wear is more glamorous. The clothes are more exciting. In menswear I have to work more at having a masculine presence. But then that€™s my job. If they put me in, say, a rubbish bag and I feel completely unattractive, I still have to show it to its potential.€

Pejic€™s androgenous look is entirely his own creation €“ today, for instance, he€™s wearing a light grey micro-mini dress, thick black tights and biker boots. €œAround the age of 14, I decided to experiment with my look,€ he explains. €œAs a kid, you get to the stage where you realise the gender barriers that exist in society and what you€™re supposed to do and not supposed to do. I really tried being someone else during that period. It was hard for me €“ not being able to express myself and feeling I had to be someone else.

€œBut now I€™m comfortable in my skin, and for my look to be celebrated is great. My look is very personal to me. When I started experimenting, it was a personal decision because I was unhappy. It wasn€™t something I did for attention.€

Even on the closest of inspections, it is hard to discern Pejic€™s gender: his complexion is a perfect peaches-and-cream, and there€™s not a whisper of a five o€™clock shadow. The only clue, perhaps, is his slightly protruding Adam€™s apple.

Still, the female models he works with don€™t seem too perturbed. €œThe girls don€™t mind if I€™m in their dressing room,€ he muses. Neither are they annoyed that his flat-chested, snake-hipped figure is nigh-on impossible for most women to achieve. €œMost of the girls are friendly. I guess they find me intriguing.€

What does remain intriguing, though, is why designers would want a man modelling women€™s clothes.

€œAndrej is the perfect coat-hanger,€ says Clare Coulson, fashion features director of Harper€™s Bazaar. €œClothes look best on someone who is tall and skinny, on a long and lean silhouette.€

Harriet Quick, Vogue fashion features director, agrees. €œAndrej is incredibly beautiful with a very striking face €“ sharp angles and planes that look good on camera.€

Yet Quick believes his appeal goes deeper than that. €œFor the past decade, fashion has concentrated on the alpha male and alpha female stereotype. Now it€™s all about questioning sexuality and blurring the boundaries. Andrej is reflecting our times €“ he€™s what€™s out there; he€™s reflecting culture.

€œIt€™s the same look we€™re now seeing in music and with teenagers and twentysomethings on the street. He makes people open their eyes; makes them question how one presents one€™s image. It€™s attention-grabbing €“ it€™s all about looking twice and asking questions. How? Why? And a good fashion image should hold your attention.€

Originally from Bosnia €“ his mother is Serbian, his father Croatian €“ Pejic was born shortly before the start of the Balkan conflict. His family moved to Serbia and, when he was eight, to Melbourne, Australia. €œI had to learn a whole new culture as well as a whole new language,€ he says. €œAt school, I was thrown in at the deep end. It took me a year to learn English.€

His refugee status has meant living as an outsider €“ and fashion is full of outsiders. €œFashion is quite inclusive and good at embracing different things and different forms of beauty,€ he says. €œIt€™s a very liberal industry. You can be yourself. Just not overweight,€ he adds, drily.

Pejic was spotted shortly before his seventeenth birthday. €œI was working in McDonald€™s part time, and this guy came in €“ he wanted a cheeseburger. He then told me to see him at his modelling agency.€

Did he think you were a woman? €œI don€™t know, he didn€™t say. Obviously, when I went into the agency, they figured it all out ... But they signed me up right away.€

Initially, the agency was unsure about which direction Pejic should go. €œIn the beginning they wanted me to be more masculine €“ they told me to go to the gym because the menswear clients would like me more. That wouldn€™t be such a good idea now because I wouldn€™t be able to fit into womenswear.€

His friends and family have been supportive throughout. €œMum€™s very proud. She finds every picture of me and has them on every wall. And my friends €“ well, since being a teenager, I€™ve always been experimental. So they aren€™t surprised. Obviously, they were surprised to see me in a wedding dress in a couture show. That was probably something they didn€™t expect! But they€™re all supportive.€

And how does the average Aussie macho male deal with his looks? €œI€™ve been getting chatted up by men ever since I was 14. In Australia, you€™ve got your Greeks, and your Italians ... I haven€™t had any horrible experiences. Sometimes they€™re shocked, but most of the time they still want to buy me a drink.€

Post-modelling, Pejic hopes to study either law or economics (before fleeing to Australia, his father was an economist and his mother a lawyer). €œMy favourite author is Leon Trotsky €“ the political philosophy and the way he writes is beautiful, and really relevant, too.

€œBut at this point nobody knows where this modelling is going. I usually have a plan in life €“ but this wasn€™t planned. When I went to the agency, I was like, modelling€™s better than a part-time job at McDonald€™s. I thought I€™d give it a shot. But it€™s still going well so we€™ll see. I would love to do Playboy with [the photographer] Terry Richardson. I love Playboy and Terry would be the person to do it.€

Along with the transgender model Lea T €“ the current face of Givenchy and Kate Moss€™s co-star on the latest cover of Love magazine €“ Pejic is very much in demand. But fashion is a fickle business €“ something he is only too aware of.

€œAt this point, yes, everything€™s going well. I€™m still a sample size, so I can fit into designer womenswear. The only thing I have a problem with is my shoulders.€

Well, nobody€™s perfect ...
            Attached Files

Comment

Look below - I don't see Lea T. as a "man in drag" in this photo.
              Attached Files

Comment

Here's a video interview from Oprah with Lea T from The Huffington Post: Huffingpost Oprah Lea T Interview

Click on the links below and discover how the Forums work
                Membership Levels
                The Rookie Thread
                New to The Ladyboy Forums? Introduce yourself!
                Old Members Must Reset Their Passwords

Comment

MUCH better! Thanks
                  "The Ladyboy Collection- start yours today!"

Comment

(thegame925 @ Jun. 19 2011,21:16) Look below - I don't see Lea T. as a "man in drag" in this photo.

THAT IS NOT LEA T.! LOL
                    garcia

Comment

Working...
                    X