X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Discrimination

...draft of something coming to a web-site and blogs near you...

Discrimination Against Ladyboys (transgenders) in the Land of Smiles, Thailand

Ziggy, 2007

* * * *€œYou will have to wear a man€™s clothes€, said the registrar.
    * * ** I€™d never seen a look of shock on someone before, but I saw it that day on May€™s face, my Ladyboy girlfriend. She€™d researched universities for months and had set her heart on Kasem Bundit€™s Business Computers degree program. It would be her second degree, and she was motivated and excited to get started. We€™d come to register and pay her first term€™s fees.
    * * ** €œAre you serious?€ asked May.
    * * ** €œYes, those are the rules€, replied another person who€™d walked over to re-confirm school policy.
    * * * *To ask a Ladyboy to wear a man€™s clothes is akin to asking a man to wear a woman€™s clothes €“ and in this case, for 4 years! It was an insulting and ridiculous request. Adding to the insanity was May€™s appearance. With long hair, breasts, and every part of her persona as feminine as the registrar talking to her...dressing in pants and a tie would have made her the source of constant ridicule. In short, it was neither practical nor emotionally possible for her to do so.
    * * ** Once the senior registrar had left though, an assistant said meekly that while it was school policy, it wasn€™t enforced. Not to worry, she said. Such is Thailand. Lots of rules, some followed, some not, some people kind, some not.
    * * ** This discriminatory behavior, unfortunately, is not an isolated case.
    * * ** The Q Bar in Bangkok, one of the more popular clubs, employs the discrimination card further by barring entry to all Ladyboys. It is a policy NOT based on dress, behavior or any other reasonable rejection criteria. Rather, it is based solely on gender. The reason? Ladyboys have caused too much trouble in the past with other customers and with fights between each other, replied the manager on request.
    * * ** Well, it€™s a little hard to imagine that I, in a three piece suit, and May, in a fancy dress, arriving together, were going to cause trouble with customers and fight with other Ladyboys. But we too were rejected entry. It is with great irony that I note the Q Bar in Bali is a gay bar, with nightly transgender performances, and transgenders abound outside.
    * * * *Not to be outdone, The Tiger Disco in Phuket, Lucifer€™s Bar on Walking Street in Pattaya, and a host of other establishments follow similar policies. I was even rejected a room at the White House Hotel in Pattaya once due to a policy of not allowing two men to sleep in the same room. It€™s hard to imagine May being referred to as a man, but according to the White House policy, she was.
    * * * *The stereotyping argument is a tried and tested one used throughout history to subject blacks, Jews, women, or other minority groups to ill treatment by those in positions of power. It is only used, of course, when the immoral people employing it know they can get away with it. It would be hard to imagine the Q Bar rejecting all women or men due to a few incidents with them. But they can and do discriminate against transgenders precisely because they can get away with it.
    * * ** While some people use the argument that private institutions should be allowed to discriminate for any reason they choose, I note with raw irony that none of those people are transgenders. And while not being allowed entry to a bar is not life threatening, what happens when denied entry or other discriminatory actions are applied to things that actually do impact people€™s lives? Most institutions in the world are private. All of my days and nights are in privately owned institutions, such as bars, restaurants, hospitals, universities, hotels, or even my company.
    * * ** Kasem Bundit€™s policy of requiring transgendered students to wear clothes of their biological sex is tantamount to barring entry. What kind of society is it that allows heterosexual students a wider choice of educational institutions than its transgendered population?
    * * ** A man in Bangkok was recently rejected insurance coverage by AXA, a major firm in Thailand due to a policy to not cover gays. One can only assume such a policy extends to transgenders as well. So are gay men and the transgendered community to be denied the coverage and thus medical treatment available to heterosexuals?
    * * * *As for employment, Ladyboys know well that while they might be lucky in finding a company who will hire them for a job other than in a salon; those employers are few and far between. Employment choices are limited due to unwritten policies of many, if not most firms, to not hire transgenders. Having been employed by two large multi-nationals in Thailand, I can say this with some confidence. In some 1000 employees, none were transgendered, which defies basic statistical norms.
    * * * *Government organizations, most notably, the police, are also guilty. Ladyboys in Bangkok are regularly targeted for charges of prostitution when caught walking around bar areas like Nana Plaza in Bangkok. A donation of 1000 baht to the arresting officer avoids one night in jail, and is, of course, the primary reason for this sordid practice. Ladies of the night, however, are not picked up, even when adjacent to their Ladyboy counter-parts.
    * * * *Even basic governmental functions like getting an ID card can be traumatic for a Ladyboy. May once came home in tears after having been ridiculed at the local police station when she€™d applied for a replacement ID card. When I asked her why they€™d done that, she said it was because she was a Ladyboy.
    * * * *The 2007 Constitution introduced by the ruling junta protects the rights of transgenders and gays. However, in what contexts those rights are protected remains unknown. And, as with most things in Thailand, whether those laws are enforced or not can be influenced by payments to the right authorities. So, should the Q Bar wish to continue its discriminatory policies, more than likely they can by making judicious payments to the local police patrols to ensure none get the crazy idea to actually enforce this constitutional amendment; as they do today.
    * * * *While discrimination against transgenders is common in Thailand, it should also be noted that their social acceptance in families and in daily life exceeds that of any country in the world. Of that there is little doubt. This situation confuses people into thinking happenings like those noted above are not so bad or perhaps don€™t even exist. Even long time residents are sometimes unaware of what happens on a day-to-day basis. However, live with a Ladyboy, as I have for several years, and you will see it more often than you would like.
    * * * *So while Thailand is a haven for its openness and acceptance of the transgender community, it is a haven with prickly thorns.

Great read and so true. people should be able to live and let live.... do and be what ever they like as long as there not hurting any one else.... To much small mindedness and greed for that... 's

Comment

(ziggystardust @ Dec. 07 2007,07:47) While discrimination against transgenders is common in Thailand, it should also be noted that their social acceptance in families and in daily life exceeds that of any country in the world.
      ....sort of the opposite situation for transsexual life in the USA
      ....so,  you're really a guy?..............  

Comment

Well written and thoughtful post. Discrimination is something we see every day in our lives - the question becomes when does it become too much? Some people argue private businesses have the right to serve whoever they choose. That may be their prerogative - but when does it become too far?

Then there is the other side of the argument - liberal too gooders take away all choice - why should they have the ability to say I can or cannot do business with?

So where does the slippery slope begin? Completely eliminating discrimination is next to impossible. However making sure it doesn't get to the point of harming people is critical. I don't think anyone can reasonably argue that gay people should be denied access to health insurance.

Some food for thought!

Click on the links below and discover how the Forums work
        Membership Levels
        The Rookie Thread
        New to The Ladyboy Forums? Introduce yourself!
        Old Members Must Reset Their Passwords

Comment

Ziggy, how many times are your gonna beat this horse?

Discrimination is intutionalized in Thailand and every other society...Social institutions are dynamic...ever changing...but in this instance very very slowly...Yet Thailand is indeed unique...

I am stuck here in farangland for a bit and I am looking at my photo collection, both recent and past and I am thinking...and these thoughts are triggered by a post by SB on another thread...and I am thinking of all the girls I have been with or met, with the exception of perhaps one or two girls, they are all fakes...They ain't real ladyboys...They are beautiful boys, with long hair and sometimes tits who have decided, because of the ease of the desision or because the decision was made for them, that they are ladyboys...

On another thread I post a brief experience about an observation while I was visiting Issanville...A young boy of two years old was and is referred to by his immediate and extended family as ladyboy...His family has decided his fate.  Well he have a choice?

Most all of the girls I have asked when they knew they were a ladyboy answer when they were very young...perhaps 3 or 4 or 5 years old...Did they make that decision or did their families?  It seems odd that most will tell us they new at around the same age...is that just a coincidence?  Can you recall your thoughts when you were 3 or 5 years old?

Countless times I have been with a girls when they have referred to a gay man as a ladyboy...Clearly their definition differs from mine...And when I have pressed them for an explanation, they are emphatic...The gay men are ladyboys...

And I am not fooling myself, my present addiction is no different...perhaps even less so...Beautiful...to me yes...feminine...not overtly so but in some ways...Learned behavior, in my opinion yes...her decision...I truly don't know...she comes from the same family that has labeled the two year old boy a ladyboy...

She has hair in all the wrong places...and sometimes the voice and mannerisms are clearly male...and sometimes the photos are clearly male...Do I think she is a fake?  Yes. Do I care?  No...I actually find it extremely erotic...I like her a great deal...

As time goes on she will become more and more like the male that she is...like her older mentors who I have met in Issanville...And sadly then, perhaps long before then, I will have moved on...

Now, you're thinking what has all this rambling shit have to do with discrimination in Thailand...Well I'm not certain...But I think that it is so very easy to become a ladyboy in Thailand...that there are few if any rules to bar entrance...that there are so many of them in such a small society...that if there is slim truth in any of my thoughts here...that Thais understand the ladyboy place in their society much better than any outsider can...and who am I and who are you to tell them that that place is the wrong place...
          "It's not Gay if you beat them up afterwards."  --- Anon

Comment

I€™d never seen a look of shock on someone before, but I saw it that day on May€™s face...
            Two things...

I simply refuse to believe that she did not know that this was the requirement before she went along to the interview. Bloody hell - every ladyboy who has ever spoken to another ladyboy knows this to be true. They also know that these rules are never enforced except for graduation ceremonies.

I can imagine that she might have been disappointed that the point was made so abrasively to her during the interview, but to try and convince me that she wasn't at least half expecting this simply shows that she was extremely naive or this was her first time on a university campus.

And another thing... Did you actually accompany her to the interview with the registrar? I also find it difficult to believe that the boss of a university would allow a ladyboy to bring along an aging farang boyfriend to sit in on something of this nature... and I'm even more curious as to why your 'girlfriend' would want you there.

I hope I'm not being unreasonable in expressing my sceptisicm, but like you yourself so eloquently put it...

"...don't believe most of what you read!"

Comment

Well, it€™s a little hard to imagine that I, in a three piece suit, and May, in a fancy dress, arriving together, were going to cause trouble with customers and fight with other Ladyboys...
              If I understand this correctly - you think that you and your partner are special and should be treated differently on account of your appearance and that the rules of the club should somehow not apply to you.

Nice one... So basically because you don't LOOK as though you'll cause trouble then the club should bend it's policy to accomodate you...or change the policy to exclude people who might "look as though they will create problems."

Surely if the club doesn't want ladyboys there and they have gone to the trouble of explaining the reasons behind their admittance policies then you could find someplace that embraces ladyboys and makes them feel welcome, right?

Expecting preferential treatment because you wear a three piece suit is just a little arrogant, don't you think?

Comment

Ok... apart from those specific incidents, I do take on your general concerns that Thailand has an ongoing social problem with the mainstream integration of ladyboys.

But your post is generally negative and faultfinding and you have failed to mention the generally optomistic mood of most ladyboys living in Thailand.

There is a positive wave of almost hysterical optomism in Thailand these days. Ladyboys up and down the country in villages, colleges and even bars have never had a better time to be themselves and express their sexuality.

Families are more tolerent, the government is more tolerant, institutions and employers are more tolerant...

Actually - in the current process of change and revolution in the patient and harmonious world of Thailand it's only YOU who still finds the time to wail against the wall and find negative and isolated negative anecdotes to purport a myth of social repression when this clearly isn't the case.

There has never been a better time or place to be if you are transgendered or living with a transgendered mate. The country is going through a revolution of positive changes... get with it or be bitter and resentful because some of the institutions that you want to use are clinging to traditions that are fast disappearing in Thailand.

Comment

(stogie bear @ Dec. 08 2007,06:35)
                  If I understand this correctly - you think that you and your partner are special and should be treated differently on account of your appearance and that the rules of the club should somehow not apply to you.

Nice one... So basically because you don't LOOK as though you'll cause trouble then the club should bend it's policy to accomodate you...
                  Expecting preferential treatment because you wear a three piece suit is just a little arrogant, don't you think?
                  I don't think Ziggy wants preferrential treatment, just the opposite I think for wants more rights for all ladyboys. Unfortunately he is fighting an up hill battle but it doesn't mean he shouldn't do anything about it otherwise nothing will change.

I suppose we are all selfish is some way and it takes a situation that affects us directly to take action. Would Ziggy be fighting the cause for the rights of ladyboys if he wasn't with May maybe not.

He was using his example to show the absurdity of the situation of pre judging people based on gender, race etc.
                  I don't get it, is this a magic show?

Comment

Sorry Stogie I'm a slow typer . I posted before I read your second post.

Comment

Laws banning discrimination are only as effective as the enforcement of those laws. President Lincoln signed the Emancipation Proclamation freeing the slaves, however it took another 100 years, rioting in the streets of every major city in the US, the assasination of Martin Luther King Jr, Robert Kennedy, the tradegy at Kent State and the debacle at the Democratic Convention in 1968 before the South gave up the idea of different toilets, back of the bus seating and overt discrimination at nearly every major university in the South. I applaud the effort by the Thai government to pass laws banning discrimination and I hope that the people can exert enough pressure to ensure that enforcement follows.

Comment

.that Thais understand the ladyboy place in their society much better than any outsider can...and who am I and who are you to tell them that that place is the wrong place...
                        Ziggy is placing his arguments on the same level as race or slavery ie to discriminate is just basically wrong.

So, taking Kahuna's words above, I bet that in the 1950's and 60's, the people in the southern stats of the USA "understood the place of blacks in their society better than outsiders...and who was I or you to tell them that it was wrong".

Does that make it right?

It is also well documented that the Nazi's understood the place of jews in their society. It did not make it right.

I think Ziggy has a tough job trying to make changes at a pragmatic level, but I applaud him for having principles and trying
                        Mister Arse

Comment

Re-written...

Yes, your absolutely right Kahuna, all LB are really men in lady's clothing.

And yes, SB, I confess, I made it all up. Thank-you for pointing that out, and thank-you for attacking the poster as a liar, which of course I am, and not commenting on the post itself. That is the correct approach we agreed for the Academia section.

Comment

Hey Ziggy are you doing another calendar for next year?

Comment

While there are some things changing for the better, I would not go so far as to call it a revolution yet. A revolution would involve having transgender people elected and serving in government positions. That is not likely to happen for a while yet.

The proposed legislation to allow transgender women to change their gender on IDs has not passed yet. The importance of this legislation is that it can serve as the basis to give transgender the same legal status as women. This will allow them to have legally recognized marriages, the same legal avenues as women have in case of rape, etc.

The work of groups such as Transgender Women of Thailand is just beginning, but needs support to get the changes in place on a legislative level and societal level.

When transgender people become fully recognized and equal participants in the government and society, that is when the real revolution will take place.

"I have a dream!" Martin Luther King's famous speech about black rights comes to mind.

Click on the links below and discover how the Forums work
                              Membership Levels
                              The Rookie Thread
                              New to The Ladyboy Forums? Introduce yourself!
                              Old Members Must Reset Their Passwords

Comment

Working...
                              X