X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sexual Reassignment Surgery

I just watched an interesting program on UK TV.

It was called My Big Breasts and Me.  OK I admit I was drawn to it by the title!....    

But one final comment by one of the girls who took part struck home.

She had a history of back trouble caused by her 28K breasts.  As was featured in the program it was impossible for her to find suitable sized bras.
    She had a low self esteem because of her condition.
    When she went out people would stare at her.
    She was pretty much regarded as a freak.

Does this sound familiar?

Lady boys have various problems because of their 'condition'.
    They have a low level of self esteem because of their condition.
    When they go out people stare at them.
    They are regarded (even by the tolerant Thai population) as freaks.

So what happened to the the girl with the oversized breasts?
    Her response when asked about breast reduction surgery was  -  I'm not desperate and I don't want permanent scars at my young age.    

I do worry that most Thai ladyboys are not that mature to make the same sort of decision when it comes to SRS.

RR.
    Pedants rule, OK. Or more precisely, exhibit certain of the conventional trappings of leadership.

"I love the smell of ladyboy in the morning."
    Kahuna

They have a low level of self esteem because of their condition...
    Boo hoo... So do bald people so do fat people, so do people who drink too much, so do people who gamble, so do people who have shit jobs, so do people who don't have any kind of job, so do people with acne, so do..........

You get the idea. Fashion models have low self esteem if another fashion model is in the same room!

To be honest I think that 18 is too young to shape the world and vote. If it was my doing I'd have only people 30 or older allowed to vote.

SRS is different because it's a medical and mental condition that should be addressed early in a persons life. Sure it's a big step, but I'd be far more worried about the mental health of Western transgendered people who do this in their fourties and fifties...

The opportunities for young girls and boys to shape and mould their bodies through surgery and drugs these days is fantastic. In 10 years time we'll assume that anyone who looks good MUST have had some changes made!

It could do with better regulation in Thailand but certainly not the kind of smothering "I know what's good for you!" attitude always encountered in the West.

Comment

(stogie bear @ Oct. 26 2007,01:00)
      They have a low level of self esteem because of their condition...
      Boo hoo... So do bald people so do fat people, so do people who drink too much, so do people who gamble,
      Ok Ok.....Why don't you rub it in a bit more SB

Comment

Interesting SB that you say these kids are not old enough to vote but are mature enough to make a decision that will affect the rest of their lives, considering that some start when they are 11, 12 etc. I think that 18 is a good age to start voting. But that's another debate back to RR's question.

I understand the point you were making though the fact that it is not a choice they are making instead it's the way their brain is wired, the way they are born. As RR says with the stigma that goes with it it is not something you would choose.
        I would hope that the medical staff provide enough information and counselling to make sure they a making the right decision and for the right reasons (I know TIT not Australia). So they are making the decision for themselves and not for some external reason which may change. I don't have enough experience to comment properly, Stogie you must have a better perspective then most with your experience with Gif.

more worried about the mental health of Western transgendered people who do this in their fourties and fifties...
        Isn't that more a reflection on how intolerant we have been and the lack of acceptence, in a more open society they may have started at a younger age. Is this the same as 40-50 year olds who discover a love of ladyboys and should we be worried about their mental health as well?
        I don't get it, is this a magic show?

Comment

I did specifically say mature enough to make the decision  -  maturity does not necessarily come with age!
          For most girls it's right to do it at a young age  -  even 16 years old as in one case I have seen featured in the media.

There are two girls I've known closely enough to have a fair idea of what they really thought about the decision to go for SRS.
          Both thought about it for several years  -  talked to people who had it done before and then carefully weighed the pros and cons.
          At the end of the day I think it was the right decision for both of them  -  even though I prefer my girls to have their appendadges still attached.

What I have also seen and heard of is girls that go and get SRS because their friends have had it.
          Or they think they can earn more money as a girl.
          Or somehow it will turn them into a fairy princess and prince charming will come along marry them and they will live happy ever after.    

You think I made the last one up?  Unfortunately not  -  it's pretty much what one girl said to me shortly after getting her SRS  
          I don't belive prince charming has shown up yet.

As Andre says at least in western countries they get properly assesed before the operation.
          I know in Thailand there is some basic councelling by the surgeons beforehand  -  but basic is the operative word.

It's got to be their decision  -  but it should be made in the cold hard light of day  -  with accurate information and sound advice.

(andre459 @ Oct. 26 2007,03:59) Isn't that more a reflection on how intolerant we have been and the lack of acceptence, in a more open society they may have started at a younger age.
          I think you hit the nail on the head there    

RR.
          Pedants rule, OK. Or more precisely, exhibit certain of the conventional trappings of leadership.

"I love the smell of ladyboy in the morning."
          Kahuna

Comment

Even 'basic' counselling from fellow Thai people who have been through the procedure is better than the insane theoretical claptrap meted out by idiots with letters after their names.

Comment

Working...
            X