Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone work in a professional office in Thailand?

Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone work in a professional office in Thailand?

I know there are a few US firms that have branches in Bangkok. Seems like the best of both worlds. Anyone have any experience? I'd love to quit my job, but looking at a couple of places that fit the bill, it seems that they only hire Thais with superb resumes (fluent Thai of course, grad work in the top US/international schools).

Someone with more experience can speak to this, but I've heard it is extremely difficult to get hired domestically (i.e. hired by the Thai local branch). Simply put, most of us lack the language, cultural, and relevant experience to be valuable - also, you'd be damn expensive. The most, and maybe only likely way, is to get sent over to the Thai branch by your own office on a rotation or transfer. That's never easy too - imagine going up to your boss and trying to justify why they need to send you to BKK!
    I'm a rough-ridin', hootin' and hollerin', ladyboy lovin' cowboy! Bang bang yer dead!!!

Comment

(dummy_plug @ Jan. 11 2007,06:34) - imagine going up to your boss and trying to justify why they need to send you to BKK!
      Yea Boss , I can help the company in the follwing areas:
      In the office
      Work at home
      Wont take long breaks

You Live and You Learn -- Hopefully!

Comment

I agree that your best chance is to be hired at U.S. home office and rotate there.

A quick browsing through Martindale-Hubbel directory, you should be able to figure out who have significant outpost in BKK. White&Case seem to have the largest represenation there among big name U.S. Law firms. Allen & Overy, Clifford Chance also have an office if you are from U.K. Those are not easy firm to get into. If you don't like your current job,(billable hour requirement, partnership track struggle, life/work balance, etc.) I don't think you will be happy working with firms, Bangkok or not.

Speaking as a law librarian, who had looked for law firm posting in that part of Asia, if may be easier for you to find a posting in Singapore, then take trips to BKK.

Comment

(kanchou @ Jan. 11 2007,09:44) I agree that your best chance is to be hired at U.S. home office and rotate there.

A quick browsing through Martindale-Hubbel directory, you should be able to figure out who have significant outpost in BKK. White&Case seem to have the largest represenation there among big name U.S. Law firms. Allen & Overy, Clifford Chance also have an office if you are from U.K. Those are not easy firm to get into. If you don't like your current job,(billable hour requirement, partnership track struggle, life/work balance, etc.) I don't think you will be happy working with firms, Bangkok or not.

Speaking as a law librarian, who had looked for law firm posting in that part of Asia, if may be easier for you to find a posting in Singapore, then take trips to BKK.
          Yeah I was only really talking about getting hired in the US but working in Bkk. I'm sure i'd be impossible to get hired locally.

Unfortunately I don't have the grades, resume or desire for Biglaw. Top 25 Tier 1 degree and my license is about my only asset.

Comment

The resume and desire is the bigger factor. I know for a fact that some AmLaw top 10 firms have hired lateral senior associates, who graduated from lower tier schools but had became proven rainmakers. After all, law firm prestige those days are all about AmLaw 100 ranking, which mainly depends on profits per partner.

Tough it out and pay off your law school loan first, before you make any major decisions. If you don't speak the local language, Singapore is really the better place to try. Look up firm profiles with Martindale, then see if your specialities match their practice areas. When I looked, there were a handful of firms with enough U.S. attorneys to justify hiring professional law librarians from U.S. in Singapore. I couldn't find one in Bangkok. But I ended up decide not to apply (Latham & Watkins) because quality of life issues at those megafirms.

Comment

(kanchou @ Jan. 11 2007,14:19) The resume and desire is the bigger factor. I know for a fact that some AmLaw top 10 firms have hired lateral senior associates, who graduated from lower tier schools but had became proven rainmakers. After all, law firm prestige those days are all about AmLaw 100 ranking, which mainly depends on profits per partner.

Tough it out and pay off your law school loan first, before you make any major decisions. If you don't speak the local language, Singapore is really the better place to try. Look up firm profiles with Martindale, then see if your specialities match their practice areas. When I looked, there were a handful of firms with enough U.S. attorneys to justify hiring professional law librarians from U.S. in Singapore. I couldn't find one in Bangkok. But I ended up decide not to apply (Latham & Watkins) because quality of life issues at those megafirms.
              Thanks for the advice. Loans are almost paid (worked during school and went to a public school). I have friends working at Mofo, Jones Day, and some other big ones in Cali with mixed experiences.

Comment

Most of the multinationals in Thailand use a handfull of law firms, notably Tilleke & Gibbons, Deacons (or Price, Sanond, Prabhas & Wynne in its original name) and Chandler & Thong Ek (The Chandler is the husband of the lady who does all the quirky colourful maps of Bangkok). These are the guys where the senior and or managing partners speak, read and write fluent Thai and often have acquired Thai nationality as well. They tend to be American born and have been here 30-40 years and are coming to the end of their careers as they are all in the 60's and 70's now. The opportunity for breaking into these firms in theory should be good due to the age of the partners but that does not seem to be the case from what I can see. I use one of the partners in one these lot and he must be nearly 70 years old but his brian is as sharp as a knife. Incidentally typical partner hourly rates are in the region of US$400-$600 per hour with these guys.

Cheers
                Mardhi

Comment

I second the advice to look at Singapore, or even HKG. I don't think there is the quality of work in BKK, let alone the quality of life (LBs aside of course )

Comment

With a law degree there are many thing outside of law you could, think about a career change

Comment

Don't forget US law firm Hunton & Williams in the top tier law firms. They are huge in Bangfkok.

Comment

Working...
                      X