Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Corporate Ethics

Another "rights" type question.

I've worked in 2 major Telecom companies. One did not protect transgenders (Canadian), one does (Finnish) in its code of ethics. The latter does not mention partners of transgenders in that code.

In both cases, the working environment is quite macho, where to drink heavily at the executive level and see a few go-go bars was almost necessary to "build" relationships (or not). As such, I couldn't visualize TGs being overly welcome or considered for employment, although no one would ever say that out loud.

Any experiences in the corporate world out there?

I think it would come under the sex descrimination act here in the UK so a company could not discriminate against an LB on those grounds alone although they would probably find another weaselly reason not to employ them if they really did not want her.
    Too old to die young!

Comment

We can't even touch these issues with my company.  We are to hire the most qualified applicant reguardless of Gender or Lack there of and all confusion in between.

I actually hired  two Lesbians.  Fucking Baggage galore.  Needless to say I fired both before they acheived their 90 day anniversary.  One for attendance issues and the Other for Safety Violations.

Fucking Never again will I give an opportunity to someone who Lives the;
      Vida Loca.

I have one girl right now who I think is trying to set herself up for harasment claims.  She only shaves one Leg and wears shorts to work.   I have counciled everyone to just keep their FLipp'n mouths shut and don't  even talk about it.

I then told her that when she is inside my four walls, its about the business and not about her.  So if I ever hear her talk about her appearance to anyone she is DONE !  
      She hasn't been wearing shorts too much Lately.
      Would I ever hire a Transgender ?     Hmmmmm !   What does she Look Like ?
      Just kidding.
       NOT EVEN IF SHE WAS  100%  Passable.   No, No, No.   Knowing my customers the way I do,  it would hurt my business  very seriously.
      The majority of these Transgenders are so FUCKED up in the head it would wreck my sales.
      Level headed American, I said, American Transgenders are just way to screwed up in my expierances.

I know there are probably many exceptions to my above statements, but I haven't seen it YET !
      My Femboys can Beat up your Ladyboys.  

Comment

(mirimark @ Nov. 15 2006,22:39)   No, No, No.   Knowing my customers the way I do,  it would hurt my business  very seriously.
        well, yeah but You're there

randyman "now jimmy don't look at the man with the twisted grin"

randyman
        ain't life grand

Comment

hmmmm      
          You Live and You Learn -- Hopefully!

Comment

So is it Unethical for me to judge people on past expeirances ?
            I think so. But why run the risk again, and again if it did not work out the first couple of times. I try to give people chances based on work history but if certain types of people ( gay, Lesbian, elderly. ) Why keep trying ?

If you knew what type of Business I run you would all understand that it takes a unique personality to do my Line of work. You really do have to be half insane to make a career of my job. Its not for the faint of heart.
            My Femboys can Beat up your Ladyboys.  

Comment

As someone whose next major grouping will be elderly (although not for a while yet God willing) its nice to know I will be in such varied company.

However in the UK transgender discrimination is illegal although my limited experience of TGs in the workplace is that most of the issues centre on which toilet they use rather than anything else.

My own feeling is that most customers just want their goods / sevices right first time on time and would rather have an efficient gay/lesbian/elderly/transexual/disblaed/martian than a useless "normal" person. Unless they were wearing a veil of course

Cheers

Comment

Sorry, I first have to when I hear "corporate ethics"... but that's just my natural reaction to this term.... sorry... now I'm feeling better!

I know what you're talking about Zig, I too worked 8 years in a Telco and 4 at the useless corporate office. Of course they have this discrimination act, of course they would never ever act officially against it - but who the hell does? They sack you for whatever other reason. As they did with 2 gay guys in this company.
                But that's also not the rule as one managing director is openly gay (and a bloody intriguing asshole). It's like always the non-conformistic get sacked and the brownnoses find their way through the haemmorrhoids of such a company without a map.
                I could imagine an extremely tough, clever and most of all 100% convincing TS, who did her transformation very early, could survive in such an environment. But of course no chance for a transforming or non-passable TS - way too sensitive and vulnerable!
                Could you imagine sending your senior-vice president who is 52 and whom you have known as Sam for years, now as Samantha in a frock and a wig to the negotiations for buying a Russian network.... not very likely, eh?   But if she's a pretty young TS chick with 30, op already 10 years ago, LLM, MBA, etc. - totally passable and tough like a rock - why not giving her Sams position?! And you would even have fulfilled your tranny quota!!!

MK
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEdXtf-GHvU

Comment

It's like always the non-conformistic get sacked and the brownnoses find their way through the haemmorrhoids of such a company without a map.
                  Sounds like pretty much every company I have ever worked for. Why should be ts girls be excluded?

Success is about being a minority as an individual without forcing it down the throats of everyone you work with.

Having a chip on your shoulder, thinking you are special, or overcompensating for your minority-ism is why ts girls, blacks, disabled folk (and others - sorry if I left you out!) don't fit in.

Celebrate your individuality at home and do your job at work. Leave the tiaras, veils or dreads at home. I think workers should all be loyal and conformist to their chosen companies. Like the Japanese and Chinese.

If you want to be 'different' try being self employed and see how far it gets you now!

Comment

That's where Manchester Capitalism meets Lenin... Who sold you his library mate?

Comment

Dunno much about politics, sorry.

Comment

Regrettably, "passable" is a key item in the opinion others have of TGs is my observation.

Although I know many non-passable LBs who are far more feminine that many passable LBs, looks plays a major, major role in the heterosexual community I think. So, I'd have to agree with Mai-Kee there. Frankly, that's where I was 5 years ago.

Comment

Yep, all fucking hypocrites - especially when you think of how many secret tranny-"windowshoppers" (that's how the punters are called in Amsterdam) are among them!
                          That's why you have to leave those useless institutions and do your own thing! For sure less money than ever at the beginning, which can be pretty tough, especially when you're a completely uncontrolled hedonist like me, but in the end way more satisfying!

MK

Comment

Working...
                          X