X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Religion & Ladyboys

There are many mythological stories in Hinduism about androgenous people.

The Buddhist canon officially mentions a third sex.

Ancient Muslims used transgenders as accountants and protectorates of kings.

Christianity, to my not so great knowledge, is the only religion that has hated non-conformant males and females.

So which religion do you think best supports the acceptance of transgenders?

For my part, and I am far from an expert, it seems to me Hinduism, and Buddhism, which some say is a branch of Hinduism (the "renouncers" including Jainism), is the most open and accepting of different types of people, and least judgemental.

In my experience, travelling to India and living in Thailand, that seems to hold true on a practical level too.

Any more knowledgeable people out there that can voice some views?

Hmm, I think there was a similar topic you brought up about a year ago.

I would agree that Buddhism and Hinduism are more tolerant of transgenders.

You previously mentioned the Berdache in North American Indian religions as well, where they seemed to be accepted. Not sure if the same thing applies in modern times.

In Polynesia there also seems to be greater acceptance, but I am not sure what their religion is.

Click on the links below and discover how the Forums work
    Membership Levels
    The Rookie Thread
    New to The Ladyboy Forums? Introduce yourself!
    Old Members Must Reset Their Passwords

Comment

I don't know that there's enough data to begin to say anything about religions, because there is so much variation across nations. Pretty soon, things are sliced and diced narrowly enough that there aren't a lot of transgenders left to survey.

However, I think that a larger population - the homosexual male population (because lesbians can be remarkably hidden) - has experiences that are much more affected by national identity than religion. Within just Christian societies, from the PI to Europe, N&S America, there is huge variation in social acceptance. Legal acceptance is easier to identify but not necessarily reflective of the social acceptance that is often more important.

And we easily forget that a very, very, very big nation lacks a serious religion: China. Those guys are changing social norms and everything else so fast that few conclusions remain accurate for very long.

POL
      Retired the top 12.  Need a new dirty dozen.  

Update: The new list is coming together: Nong Poy, Anita, Nok, Gif, Liisa Winkler, Kay, Nina Poon.  Is it possible to find 5 more?  Until then, GGs:  Jessica Alba, Yuko Ogura, Zhang Ziyi, Maggie Q, and Gong Li.

Comment

I would earnestly wish that transsexuals can rise above religeon. But of course, even transsexuals are human and are wont of spiritual and social guidence.

Of all the Western style cults I would imagine that the Jewish faith is probably the most accepting. But why should transsexual people settle for a society or religeon that is merely accepting of them? Acceptance is not enough in my view.

They should hold out and wait until they find a place where their souls are embraced and needed in the group.

I picked up on this quote from a ts website some time ago...

Mormon church -- This group does not accept intersexed or transsexed individuals, instead the Mormon church official equated intersexed or transsexed individuals to murders and other "criminals" for the purpose of membership.

Episcopal church -- While recently questioning the ordination to bishop of an individual who is openly gay, this church does not officially recognize transgendered. With Allison an me, a local bishop claimed they could "pick" which marriage licenses they would "accept". Apparently the legal nature of our (Allison and my) marriage frightened the local bishop and other church officials.

Unitarian-Universalism church -- During a telephone conversation with the minister of the San Jose church, I was told to "find some other place to go to church".
        Catholic Church -- This group has now released an official statement that transgendered are not considered sane and should be locked up.
        To be honest - If there is a God, I think he's probably a bit more forgiving than any religous person I have met! If there is a God he definitely does NOT go to church!

My advice to any TS would be to avoid religion at all costs. You won't find the answers there. You won't even find God at these wacko clubs.

Comment

I think the comment on countries being more important than religion makes sense.

That being said, it truly seems that the Thais & their Buddhism, not sure which element is stronger, are more accepting of all types (not only LBs) that any country I know.

Even within countries, groups play a big role. The "poor" Thais are more accepting of LBs, than the "rich" Thais; at least, that's what a lot of literature says; maybe because the latter are more conscious of image.

Comment

(ziggystardust @ Nov. 11 2006,10:46) So which religion do you think best supports the acceptance of transgenders?
            Buddhism.

Three diferent ladyboys brought me to wats and it all seemed very natural, no big deal.

Can't say the same same about st Patrick's Cathedral.

Comment

(stogie bear @ Nov. 12 2006,07:05)

Catholic Church -- This group has now released an official statement that transgendered are not considered sane and should be locked up.
              To be honest - If there is a God, I think he's probably a bit more forgiving than any religous person I have met! If there is a God he definitely does NOT go to church!

My advice to any TS would be to avoid religion at all costs. You won't find the answers there. You won't even find God at these wacko clubs.
              This very-old-boy-group Pope and all his Cardinals living far away from reality.  They didn`t understand what is transgender or what it mean to be transsexuelle.  They explain there fellows that  this not be happen in this holy peaceful world. On the other way they pray that there door is open for everyone.
              Djai jen jen si !

Comment

If you scan the internet you'll see some gruesome pics of hanging gays in Iran.

There is a web-site on sodomy laws showing those countries where it is penalized by death; mostly Islamic. That has got to be a bit of a deterrent for LBs.

While religion may not dominate, I think it plays a very major role if the top guy, like the infallible Pope, says Gays are diseased and need cures and shall burn in hell. For those that believe, they will listen to crap like that.

Comment

Working...
                X