• Show
Clear All

• Circumcision

http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/hea...cle1217831.ece

9 August 2006 06:15 Home > News > UK > Health Medical

Male circumcision 'lowers risk of HIV infection by 60%'
    By Jeremy Laurance, Health Editor
    Published: 09 August 2006

It used to be called the unkindest cut. But now the head of the one of the world's largest Aids charities believes we are on the brink of a revolution in attitudes to circumcision.

Richard Feachem, executive director of the Global Fund to Fight Aids, Tuberculosis and Malaria, said research revealing the protective effect of circumcision against HIV was set to change parental expectations and medical practice across the world. Instead of viewing the operation as an assault on the male sex, it was increasingly being seen as a lifesaving procedure which every parent would want for their sons.

Removing the foreskin is thought to harden the glans (head) of the penis, making it less permeable to viruses. Research conducted in 2005 showed the transmission of HIV from women to men during sex was reduced by 60 per cent if the men were circumcised.

A study published last month calculated that if all men in sub-Saharan Africa were circumcised, it would prevent almost six million new cases of HIV infection and save three million lives over the next 20 years.

Dr Feachem said the finding was one of the most significant in the battle against Aids and offered real hope of slowing the spread of the virus. The issue is to be debated at the World Aids Congress, which opens in Toronto next week.

Dr Feachem said: "We know the factors that cause HIV to spread rapidly in a country - the number of concurrent sexual partners, the use of condoms, the presence of other sexually transmitted diseases and male circumcision. Other things being equal, in a circumcised population you have a low and slowly developing epidemic and in an uncircumcised population you have a high and fast developing epidemic."

He added: "Circumcision is growing strongly in popularity in South Africa and in North America. We see males seeking circumcision very commonly in South Africa. The news of its protective effect caused a substantial increase in demand for adult male circumcision.

"Circumcision fell out of favour in North America and the UK as an unnecessary operation. Following this research, I think it extremely probable that parental demand for infant male circumcision will grow as a consequence."

More than one in three boys were estimated to be circumcised in the 1930s, but it fell out of favour from the 1940s onwards. By 1998, it was estimated that 12,000 circumcisions were being performed each year in Britain, suggesting fewer than one in 25 boys was having the surgery. There are big differences between racial and religious groups.

The rate of HIV infection in west Africa is less than 10 per cent, compared with more than 20 per cent in South Africa, which has mystified researchers.

Catherine Hankins, chief scientific adviser to UNAids, and a co-author of the study of the impact of circumcision on Aids in sub-Saharan Africa, published in the online journal PloS Medicine, said: "In west and central Africa there are high circumcision rates and lower HIV rates. Southern and eastern Africa have lower circumcision rates and higher HIV rates."

Deborah Jack, chief executive of the UK-based National Aids Trust, said the research findings were encouraging.

"It is clear the promotion of voluntary circumcision can play an important role in reducing the risk of HIV transmission," she said. But she warned: "People who are circumcised can still be infected with HIV and any awareness campaign would have to be extremely careful not to suggest that it protects against HIV or is an alternative to using condoms."

seriously pig headed,arrogant,double standard smart ass poster!

Comment

Too bad most LBs are uncut - if this study is indeed correct. Although the study only looked at transmission from women to men via vaginal sex...
      I'm a rough-ridin', hootin' and hollerin', ladyboy lovin' cowboy! Bang bang yer dead!!!

Comment

absolute total and utter bollix, circumcision is fucking mutilation...

condoms offer protection...how many cirumcised males would be willing to bareback an lb prostitute?

Comment

I was 'mutilated' when I was 26! Best thing that happened to me! (Painful while the stitches were in, though!)

Comment

Interestingly, there was the longest imagineable article possible on "reverse circumcision" in a Toronto magazine this week.

It pointed out this study and noted the following about circumcision:

-It increase fungal diseases in women (transferred from men)
            -It reduces sensitivity significantly, and thus pleasure
            -The African study is completely contradicted by the fact that the US has the highest HIV rate
            of all industrialized nations, and the highest circumcision rate. They attribute this to the fact
            that what works in Africa (poor hygiene) does not work world-wide.

The article was about a growing population of men trying to get their foreskin's back by stretching and surgical techniques. There is a movement to stop "mutilation" of children, i.e, circumcision, and leave that as an adult decision later in life.

Circumcision was started a couple of hundred years ago to reduce sexual activity. By de-sensitizing the penis (and also female castration), these morons thought they could reduce promiscuous sex.

In my mind, this is a stupid operation and is akin to a minor version of female castration.

Comment

(ziggystardust @ Aug. 14 2006,06:01) Interestingly, there was the longest imagineable article possible on "reverse circumcision" in a Toronto magazine this week.
              A "Toronto magazine"!?!
              (ziggystardust @ Aug. 14 2006,06:01) out this study and noted the following about circumcision:

-It increase fungal diseases in women (transferred from men)
              You do everyone a disservice by writing unreferenced and dubious statements of fact. It would enhance credibility to provide us the original reference for this.
              (ziggystardust @ Aug. 14 2006,06:01) -It reduces sensitivity significantly, and thus pleasure
              Oh? How do you quantify (and thus compare as objectively as possible) penis sensitivity? Please, enlighten us.
              (ziggystardust @ Aug. 14 2006,06:01) The African study is completely contradicted by the fact that the US has the highest HIV rate of all industrialized nations, and the highest circumcision rate.
              This platitude you quote is overly simplistic. Most cases of HIV in the United States have been acquired via male-to-male contact and IV drug use. The studies in Africa have concerned the risk of heterosexual (female to male) transmission when the man is circumcised. A meta-analysis is here.

Might circumcision protect anal-intercoursers? Not nearly as many studies on this, but, if you are game, check this out:Buchbinder SP et al. Sexual risk, nitrite inhalant use, and lack of circumcision associated with HIV seroconversion in men who have sex with men in the United States. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr 2005; 39:82€“89.
              (ziggystardust @ Aug. 14 2006,06:01) The article was about a growing population of men trying to get their foreskin's back by stretching and surgical techniques. There is a movement to stop "mutilation" of children, i.e, circumcision, and leave that as an adult decision later in life.
              Here is an interesting policy statement on circumcision by the American Urological Association.
              (ziggystardust @ Aug. 14 2006,06:01) Circumcision was started a couple of hundred years ago to reduce sexual activity.
              Where do you get your BS?
              A "couple of hundred years ago"
              (ziggystardust @ Aug. 14 2006,06:01) In my mind, this is a stupid operation and is akin to a minor version of female castration.
              I predict that cultural and familial factors will be the strongest motivators for circumcision in the future, not prevention of HIV. I am not advocating for or against circumcision, but I am against big brother and paternalistic governments passing laws against male circumcision. I am aware that others care very deeply. Circumcision is a subject about which some are surprisingly emotional, and I think it makes an interesting topic for discussion.

Comment

(ziggystardust @ Aug. 14 2006,00:01) Circumcision was started a couple of hundred years ago to reduce sexual activity.

ziggy.....
                You disappoint me...couple of hundred years ago ???BBS...
                I was circumcised 50 years ago..
                And the main reason is hygiene..http://www.circinfo.net/#hygiene..If some one don't wash, DO you know ,how much shit and dirt gets collected under thet skin...And that is the one off the main reason for the  most of VDs...
                AND reduce sexual activity???      That is even BIGER BS..I fucked more Pussies and asses then you had hot dinners...

Circumcision.....Here you go ziggy..  

Catholic Encyclopedia

The Hebrew word, like the Greek (peritome), and the Latin (circumcisio), signifies a cutting and, specifically, the removal of the prepuce, or foreskin, from the penis. The number and variety of tribes and nations who practised it are surprising; a conservative estimate places the number that practise it in our day at two hundred millions. Herodotus says that the Egyptians, Colchians, and Ethiopians, from very early times, were circumcised; and he mentions other races, the Phoenicians and Syrians of Palestine (the Jews, as Josephus maintains), who say that they learned the use of circumcision from the Egyptians (Herod., II, 104; Jos., C. Ap., I, 22). Even some Christians circumcise their children, the Copts, for instance, and the Abyssinians, in Africa; and among the Filipinos, the same may be said of most of the Tagalos, who are Catholics. To these last, however, it is a mere ceremony without religious import. The Mohammedan Moros may have introduced it into the islands, where it remains, notwithstanding centuries of Christian influence against it (C. N. Barney, see bibliography). The Abyssinians are entirely under Jewish influence, though they profess Christianity: they observe the Jewish Sabbath, circumcise on the eighth day, and observe many other usages. (See Andree, cited below, p. 189.) Andree states also that the custom of circumcising is found in Sumatra (pp. 191, 192), the east coast of New Guinea (p. 197), and among the Samoans, who call Europeans "the uncircumcised". Even in America, circumcision was in use among the Aztec and Maya races (op. cit. 201, 202). The fact of its existence in Australia (Spencer and Gillen, Tribes of Central Australia, p. 218 sq.), and in a great part of the islands of Oceanica, not to speak of America, would seem to throw some doubt on the assertion of Herodotus that it had its origin in Egypt.
                So many Ladyboys so little time..

Comment

Hey guys,
                  I've never been to LOS but I've been spankin€™ it pretty regularly to some of the videos on the site. Nice work Stogie. Ladyboys, who knew...?
                  Anyway, I've never posted on here before but being the happy owner of an uncircumcised Johnson I felt like I had to chime in.
                  The hygiene argument is bullshit. If it gets dirty wash it, don't snip it.
                  As far as the spread of HIV goes, if you're fucking commercial sex workers or engaging in other "high risk" sex you should be using a rubber.
                  This circumcision business, at least in the U.S. is all about a puritanical fear of sex. The fundamentalists didn't want boys to play with themselves so they figured if they cut off the foreskin this would stop boys from masturbating.
                  Guess what? The foreskin is full of nerve endings that provide much sensation and pleasure. Remove it and you loose a lot of pleasure.
                  Check out the link below for more info.
                  Cheers,
                  J
                  http://www.circumcision.org/studies.htm
                  "Bankin' off of the northeast wind
                  Salin' on a summer breeze
                  And skippin' over the ocean, like a stone."
                  -Harry Nilsson

Comment

(strocube @ Aug. 20 2006,18:37) The hygiene argument is bullshit. If it gets dirty wash it, don't snip it.

Lots more BS...
                    Here you go..
                    The proponents of not circumcising nevertheless stress that lifelong penile hygiene is required. This acknowledges that something harmful or unpleasant is happening under the prepuce. Studies of middle class British [172] and Scandanavian [259] schoolboys concluded that penile hygiene, as such, is at best poor and at worst non-existent. Furthermore, Dr Terry Russell, an Australian medical practitioner and circumcision expert states "What man after a night of passion is going to perform penile hygiene before rolling over and snoring the night away (with pathogenic organisms multiplying in the warm moist environment under the prepuce)" [301]. The bacteria start multiplying again immediately after washing and contribute, along with skin secretions, to the whitish film, termed 'smegma', that is found under the foreskin.

Smegma is produced by the foreskin€™s inner surface and contains neutral lipids, fatty acids, sterol and exfoliated cells. Excretion of smegma increases in adolescence and peaks at age 20€“40 years. Whereas initially it is a lubricant having a white or pale yellow color, with time, chemical transformations take place and it becomes mixed with epithelial cells, dirt and micro-organisms; these form aggregates and produce foul odors. The bacteria alone give off an offensive smell and most people consider smegma to be unclean [405]. Men differ in their sensitivity to this smell and some shower several times a day as a result (See section €˜What men say€™). Some uncircumcised men, and/or their partners, find the stench so unpleasant that the foul odor has caused these men to seek a circumcision on this basis alone. Improved penile hygiene is perhaps the major reason for circumcision (82% in one study [251]) and, for most, smegma is regarded as unclean and infected with micro-organisms (88% in the same study [251]). Penile hygiene is often difficult to achieve and attempting a very high degree of hygiene in uncircumcised men can result in new dermatological problems. For mothers and fathers, it is far easier to maintain cleanliness of their son's penis if it is circumcised.

And this is from the link you posted..MORE BS..
                    Circumcision Affects Sexual Behavior

A study published in the Journal of the American Medical Association found that circumcision provided no significant prophylactic benefit and that circumcised men were more likely to engage in various sexual practices. Specifically, circumcised men were significantly more likely to masturbate and to participate in heterosexual oral sex than uncircumcised men.
                    So many Ladyboys so little time..

Comment

(69billy @ Aug. 21 2006,03:26) Smegma is produced by the foreskin€™s inner surface and contains neutral lipids, fatty acids, sterol and exfoliated cells. Excretion of smegma increases in adolescence and peaks at age 20€“40 years. Whereas initially it is a lubricant having a white or pale yellow color, with time, chemical transformations take place and it becomes mixed with epithelial cells, dirt and micro-organisms; these form aggregates and produce foul odors. The bacteria alone give off an offensive smell and most people consider smegma to be unclean [405]. Men differ in their sensitivity to this smell and some shower several times a day as a result (See section €˜What men say€™). Some uncircumcised men, and/or their partners, find the stench so unpleasant that the foul odor has caused these men to seek a circumcision on this basis alone. Improved penile hygiene is perhaps the major reason for circumcision (82% in one study [251]) and, for most, smegma is regarded as unclean and infected with micro-organisms (88% in the same study [251]). Penile hygiene is often difficult to achieve and attempting a very high degree of hygiene in uncircumcised men can result in new dermatological problems. For mothers and fathers, it is far easier to maintain cleanliness of their son's penis if it is circumcised.
                      Some call it dick cheese.

Comment

This is the kind of crap answers that make me feel like never returning to this forum.

My entire entry was a summary of an article as it clearly indicated. Every single line. This is replied to by personal attacks, and "you do everyone a disservice....", "the platitude you quote is overly simplistic", "You disappoint me", "More BS".

This forum sucks with people like you. You discourage entries, greatly, and from me especially and certainly from most newbies.

[If my post was a personal comment, I'd welcome critiques, with more tact. It wasn't.]

Comment

(ziggystardust @ Aug. 14 2006,06:01) -It reduces sensitivity significantly, and thus pleasure
                          I am not in the position to scientifically comment on the rest, but I must (unfortunately) agree 100% on this!
                          I was circumcised at 40 y.o. and my sex life has started to decline right from there..call it a coincindence maybe...
                          I had to do it for medical reasons as I was getting stronger and stronger balanitis
                          I would have gladly done without it...as my sensitivity is now much much less than pre-circumc and don't enjoy much the situation but no turning back.
                          Perhaps when done it at tender age it doesn't really matter but in your mature age it seems it does
                          Do only what you think it's good for you, and not what others think should be good for you!

Comment

The entire articles is about "reverse cicumcision", a growing desire by many males. It is reversible, both without and with surgey.

Comment

By the way, the famous John/Joan studied by John Money at John Hopkin's University was the source of today's modern intersex medical specification.

John was a male. During circumcision, the doctor botched the job and basically burnt his dick off. As a result, the pschologist John Money recommended John be raised as a girl Joan. Joan was raised successfully until she discovered she was born a male, which was how she felt through her whole life and promptly reverted to a male.

The story was originally used to "prove" you could raised a child in any gender you wanted, and later used to prove that gender was ingrained and not "nurtured".

Here is the web-site showing the article that originated my comment. It was painstakingly searched by typing "Toronto Magazine", then selecting my best guess on the Top 3 (Toronto Life), typing "Cirumcision" in the search area, and voila. This took 20 seconds.

http://www.torontolife.com/features/boys-and-hood/

The John / Joan story is well documented in hundreds of books and is the antiquated backdrop to the DSM-IV medical guidelines for intersex children widely used today. So, if you have a botched cicumcision, the doctor is generally obliged to follow DMS-IV, and may perform "corrective surgery" to make you a female. If you want to see some of this try:

www.isna.com

and after spending 10 seconds typing John/Joan:

http://www.infocirc.org/rollston.htm

The latter is very interesting.

I hope I have restored the great dis-service I've done to this forum and humanity.

Comment

Working...
                              X