X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anonymous Internet Power

"In my days, son, a man took his fists to people who cussed him or his lady friend. It made you think twice about what you might think of sayin'".

"But Dad, we're anonymous on the internet. People say all kinds of bad things about other people and their girlfriends, wives, friends, or even their kids, and can get away with it and not even get a pinch, cause they don't have to meet the guy face to face they're saying the bad things about."

"Doesn't sound right to me son. You should always use respect for people even if you never see 'em. Imagine you disagree with your best buddy. Would you call him names and cuss his girlfriend to his face? No. You'd just tell him, 'buddy, can't agree with ya here, let me tell ya why'. A good buddy will take that just fine and maybe learn a thing or two on the way."

"The internet makes people talk stupid Dad. Like they have power. Since they won't get punched, they think they're strong. So they say terrible things like their words make them smart or powerful or something like that. They think it's cool if they make a sarcastic or cutting comment and try to hurt someone with their words."

"Got that right son, on the stupid part, that is. The power is a false power. Power lies in respect for other's views and maybe listening carefully to someone who you don't agree with you. The most powerful thing you can do is not cuss someone who disagreed with ya, as long as he said it a decent way, like decent folk do. That's really powerful. That's what real men were like in my time, son."

"Dad, I'm sure glad you're my Dad. I hope I can be powerful like you."

"Son, I'm glad you're my son. But I don't agree with ya on a couple 'o things. I'll tell ya why, ok?"

This reminds me of that awful yarn about a papa and a son and a donkey and none of them could decide who to carry who!

Of course 'real power' (on the internet) is actually having a point of view that most people agree with!

After that - you have to hope like hell that the person you disagree with isn't more important than you are!

Comment

"Whut we've gawt hyere is faylyure, ta cummoonicate. Some mayen, ya just can't reach... So, ya giyet whut we had hyere last week, which iz tha way he wahnts it! Wyail, he gyets it! N' I don't like it, any more than you myen."
      -- The Captain, Cool Hand Luke

Comment

Working...
      X