X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stupid Universities

I found it interesting that a lot of LBs go to University. Check any bar. Maybe 20% go to University. But none, zero, pretty much, get jobs in what they study.

So I've been checking this out a little more. Most go to Suan Dusit University, well known as a virtual complete waste of time. Most take "Marketing" or "Business Management", more akin to "4Y of Learning Nothing".

So, for a lot, it is a complete waste of 4 years, with no result at the end.

However, I also discovered, many go for simply the image of having completed a degree. It means a lot to their prestige. That I can understand. However, if you think intellect follows University education in Thailand, it ain't so.

Have you asked the older Casonova crowd? I'm sure they have mentioned other Universities.

Comment

(ziggystardust @ May 11 2006,21:47) But none, zero, pretty much, get jobs in what they study.
      Why do you think that most ladyboys with a university degree do not got jobs in their field of study? Is it diminished career prospects because they are ladyboys? And if they don't get jobs in what they study, which I am assuming is generally business, what type of work do they usually do? I hope they don't bother to go to a university for 4 years, even a shitty one, only to graduate and work in a bar or hair salon!
      I'm a rough-ridin', hootin' and hollerin', ladyboy lovin' cowboy! Bang bang yer dead!!!

Comment

I guess it's like going to Shitway Community College in the States. Most students don't really care much about what they're learning.

But getting a Uni degree really can't hurt. The Thais aren't burdening themselves with student loans. Majoring in English wouldn't be a bad idea.

Comment

This is another old topic, but most LBs are not welcome in the office. Some, the good looking ones, are welcome in hair salons and in mall beauty booths. There remains significant discrimination in the office.

Guaranteed someone will write, "Oh, but I know XXX in the bank. There is no discrimination." True. XXX is 1 in 1000 at best. Ask any LB if she can work in an office environment.

Frankly, they do seem to go to University for no useful purpose. Many get work having nothing to do with what they studied, often in bars. Also, some of the Universities are near completely useless, as is well known by recruiters.

Comment

Ok...I think you're confirming what I've been thinking. Several ladyboys I've spoken with, admittedly all bar workers, have all told me that finding a professional job for them is all but impossible, even if they were well-qualified for the position.

Granted we know that only a sliver of the ladyboy population ends up in places like Nana and Patpong, what do the rest of them do for work and money? Sorry...just curious about this is all.
            I'm a rough-ridin', hootin' and hollerin', ladyboy lovin' cowboy! Bang bang yer dead!!!

Comment

Mum pays.

Comment

So life can't be that bad after all.

Comment

Two LB's I know who went to Uni have good jobs. One works in IT and is earning about 30k month and the other is working in the Travel Business probably for similar money. They went to Bangkok & Katesart Universities respectively - both considered good uni's and Katesart probably no 3 in Thailand behind Chula and Tamarsat. I also know that Cartoon went to Uni (Bangkok I think) and when she was working, was probably pulling in double what these other girls do !!!

Cheers
                  Mardhi

Comment

Is $30k/month pretty good by Thai living standards? Also...is Thai compensation similar to the West or is it more like Japan/Singapore? For example, in the US the typical worker (i.e. non-executive) gets majority of his pay via salary, with small sums coming from bonuses. In Asia, its more common to get a lower salary with frequent and larger bonuses.

Comment

In Thailand does net pay equal gross pay?      

Comment

(dummy_plug @ May 14 2006,21:53) Is $30k/month pretty good by Thai living standards? Also...is Thai compensation similar to the West or is it more like Japan/Singapore? For example, in the US the typical worker (i.e. non-executive) gets majority of his pay via salary, with small sums coming from bonuses. In Asia, its more common to get a lower salary with frequent and larger bonuses.
                        Yes 30K is pretty good - its not exceptional but its good, for the positions these people hold. FYI, couple of years ago when I had a secretary in multinational company, I was paying her 25k month and she was Uni educated and very competent at her job.

Mostly bonuses are paid by bigger companies and govt owned institutions. They can range from 0 to 6 months salary on average. Private companies tend to pay one or two months typically.

Comment

(PigDogg @ May 14 2006,22:57) In Thailand does net pay equal gross pay?       
                          If they are legally employed - then they have social tax deductions (5% of salary with a ceiling of from memory 2,500 baht per month) and income tax - typically these 30K month gals will be getting a net income somewhere around 26K month after social and income tax. The higher tax thresholds dont really kick in unless your earning over 100k month.

Cheers
                          Mardhi

Comment

Thanks for the heads-up Mardhi.

Comment

Working...
                            X