X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Buddhist Bible & Ladyboys

Buddhism was initiated by Siddharta Gautama in about 500 BC. The Buddhist bible or canon is called the Tippitaka, a 45 volume set written by his disciples after his death in the 1st century (much like the Bible's gospels were written 100 years or so after Jesus' death).

The Tippitaka recognizes at least 3 sexes. Male, female, and 2 others, the Pandaka and Ubhatobyanjanka. There are different definitions of these, but there is somewhat of a concensus that at least one of these is kathoey.

What this means is that the Buddhist canon recognies Ladyboys as a valid and accepted sex, and thus the occasional reference to kathoeys in Thai literature and the thai lanague (phet thi saam), as the Third Sex.

Indeed, Gautama's first cousin and attendant, Ananda, was presumed to be a kathoey.

Some also say you will be born a kathoey if you have done bad deeds. So you should never put down a kathoey because you may become one in a future life, or you may have been one in a past life.

Of the gazillion theories of why there are lots of LBs in Thailand, this is one of them, i.e., the canon says they are ok and part of normal humanity, and therefore they don't have to go underground as in other cultures.

Well spoken. I am thankful that my mind was open to the possibility of this "third sex" If I had been a closed minded ejit I would never have met the most amazing lady who happens to be a Ladyboy.

Comment

(ziggystardust @ Mar. 27 2006,14:58) The Tippitaka recognizes at least 3 sexes. Male, female, and 2 others, the Pandaka and Ubhatobyanjanka. There are different definitions of these, but there is somewhat of a concensus that at least one of these is kathoey.
      Hello Ziggy,

Your post had me intrigued so I did a couple of Google searches.

Ubhatobyanjanka - produces a 'no results found' advice.

Pandaka comes up with lots of returns about a type of fish!     After wading through the rubbish I did come up with these two links:-
      http://www.lioncity.net/buddhism/lof...php/t1436.html
      null]http://www.buddhistchannel.tv/index.p....ll]null

The first one as you will see is part of a forum. And one of the respondents is actually asking about Transsexuals. The answer he gets is a bit vague - but it is basically a discussion around the word Pandaka.

The second one mentions 'Uppatopayanchanok = two + sex organ'  or Hermaphrodite.  Uppatopayanchanok looks suspiously similar to Ubhatobyanjanka to me.

There is a further link from the same source as the second one  http://www.buddhistchannel.tv/index....2,1522,0,0,1,0
      This seems to indicate that Pandaka was in fact the name of a gay monk who was expelled for homosexual practices.  I was going to write de-frocked - but maybe that's not suitable here  

Do you have an explanation of the terms from what you were reading?

RR.
      Pedants rule, OK. Or more precisely, exhibit certain of the conventional trappings of leadership.

"I love the smell of ladyboy in the morning."
      Kahuna

Comment

Try tipitaka pandaka, or tipitaka kathoey, and yes, pandaka is also a fish.

Comment

It would make sense that there might be a distinction between "transexuals" in the sense of active role play, and true intersex birth which does rarely occur.

You didn't clarify exactly Ziggy, is this what the two refer to?

Comment

Hmmm interesting piece of mythos there for me to absorb into my expandin brain =)

Oh siggy remember me? Did you ever post those pics of your LB gf in the end =)?

Also how are her mighty fine sisters getting on?

Comment

(ziggystardust @ Mar. 27 2006,20:58)
              "Academic Series" ?!? WTF?

Why the pretenses?

Are you an ACADEMIC?

You might have a Ph.D in something, soc maybe? More likely, I suspect you do not. What are your qualifications for making this an ACADEMIC forum?

Are shemales on your syllabus?

Comment

(sangabriel @ Mar. 28 2006,09:01)
                (ziggystardust @ Mar. 27 2006,20:58)
                "Academic Series" ?!? WTF?

Why the pretenses?

Are you an ACADEMIC?

You might have a Ph.D in something, soc maybe? More likely, I suspect you do not. What are your qualifications for making this an ACADEMIC forum?

Are shemales on your syllabus?
                "C..can we get along here? Can we all get along?" - Rodney King

Please... guys, I think Ziggy just want to share some of the info he had gather. I think knowledge is a good think- thing. Hopefully, it will bring more understanding to our grup. This is the only place/group/people where I think I can be understand for why I am attracted to ladyboys, without discrimination or prejudice. This is our common ground, our sancturary. God knows there are enough people who not only look down on us, but hate us, simply for our orientation.

May you all find Peace, Joy, and Love/Lust

Ronin

Comment

Sangabriel, do you have anything constructive to contribute to this thread?

Comment

(Torurot @ Mar. 28 2006,09:01) Sangabriel, do you have anything constructive to contribute to this thread?
                    Funny - that's what I was thinking.

RR.
                    Pedants rule, OK. Or more precisely, exhibit certain of the conventional trappings of leadership.

"I love the smell of ladyboy in the morning."
                    Kahuna

Comment

(Road Runner @ Mar. 28 2006,20:31)
                      (Torurot @ Mar. 28 2006,09:01) Sangabriel, do you have anything constructive to contribute to this thread?
                      Funny  -   that's what I was thinking.

RR.
                      I would take it a step further and ask if sangabriel actually has anything to contribute on any thread

Comment

Personally I am a little too lazy to look into this myself but must admit I am interested so I like it when people take the time to post such information.

Keep it coming Ziggy.

Comment

(ozzie @ Mar. 28 2006,15:46) Personally I am a little too lazy to look into this myself but must admit I am interested so I like it when people take the time to post such information.

Keep it coming Ziggy.  
                          Agree....and I do have an advanced degree in social sciences (M.A. Anthropology)....Keep em coming Guys....
                          "It's not Gay if you beat them up afterwards."  --- Anon

Comment

well ive heard and read a lot of budhist teachings and philosophy which are more fair and more humane to human rights and freedom of expression. and can you imagine the discipline they practice.......
                            sexy,filthy,rich its good to be snejana

Comment

(ziggystardust @ Mar. 27 2006,20:58) Some also say you will be born a kathoey if you have done bad deeds.
                              Sorry. I was moody when I wrote that before.

I'll probably end up a katoey someday.

Comment

Working...
                              X