X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Come on guys, don't be so surprised.
    90% of articles you read on papers are made in the same way. Most journalists seem to live in a world of their own occasionally coming down to planet earth to discover things, and then teaching us how to look at them...:wanker:
    Do only what you think it's good for you, and not what others think should be good for you!

Comment

Take it for what it is...an half-rate article by a half-rate journalist on some online rag. I don't think he claimed he was doing a comprehensive study and historical review of ladyboys in Thailand. Its an entertainment piece, nothing more. I read the whole thing and honestly, it is what it is. He talked with one LB and wrote what she said and thats about it. I wouldn't get so worked up about it.
      I'm a rough-ridin', hootin' and hollerin', ladyboy lovin' cowboy! Bang bang yer dead!!!

Comment

It just amazes me that the first set of people they go get their "intelligence" is in the p4p sector.

For a mamgazine €œthat is a satirical look at ex-pat life in the Thai capital. Sukhumvit Eye is written by farangs for farangs and Unlike other local magazines we are driven by editorial integrity not advertising so the Sukhumvit Eye is full of articles that take a critical, if not slightly jaundiced view of all that happens around us! There are sections about music, food, nightlife, dance clubs, Bangkok as it was and of course what is happening around town.€

So the natural thing for journos is too interview a bargirl representative of less than 1% of thai population. Well done not. A magazine with the above charter should have gone into the universities or workplace and get a real insight into everyday living of a ladyboy. Don€™t tell me as an expat it would have been hard to come by one.

As stated it is just an interview with a bargirl. Not taking anything away from Pang. But she didn€™t say anything I didn€™t already know or more importantly any expat would know.

Anyway read what some of the analytical thinkers who make up the readership of 2thebigmango.com have to say.

http://www.2thebigmango.com/reader-....omments
        Attached Files

Comment

Well at least guess bar got a free plug. Good opportunity for anyone who has been there to post some favourable comments about the bar.

Comment

(69billy @ Feb. 01 2008,00:41) €œI like you,€ she lied unconvincingly while tossing back her hair in the way that ladyboys do when they are not touching their hair.
            Come on, you guys  gotta admit THIS is great work!!    

I have seen the Hair Flip 1000 times and this guy describes it perfectly

I'm  with Johanns and  Dummy-Plug ......read the whole thing and didn't think it was too bad, he got a good interview with a typical  BKK ladyboy and reported what she said and a few of his own observations; no real digs on the community at-large except of course for the "freaks and thieves" line at the start, that could have been deleted and it started off his column on a bad note.  Stogie,  you should read the whole thing rather than just that one line and then dismissing it as rubbish.

Too bad he didn't say something like " and if you really want to learn more about these people and see a ton of photographs and videos of them as well, go to AsianTS.com and their associated forums" ..... although I doubt very many people even follow that website?  I had never even heard of it meself.

This website gets more views I am sure and check the link next to Ladyboys near the top;   http://bangkok2night.com/links/

Has anyone bothered to contact this guy and ask him to read here?  He'd probably like to see these reviews of his work.
            Guilt is Gods way of telling you you're having too much fun.
            -Dennis Miller

Comment

(dommy6 @ Feb. 01 2008,12:09) Anyway read what some of the analytical thinkers who make up the readership of 2thebigmango.com have to say.

http://www.2thebigmango.com/reader-....omments
              reply below by a BM?

Jimmy Cricket
              Feb 1st, 2008 at 9:27 am
              I think the guy who did the interview should have chosen a non bargirl ladyboy as the subject.

Apart from the difference in sexual activities there is really no difference in thought to a bar girl anywhere else in Nana.

I don€™t know what the €˜oppresive vibe€™ claim meant either.
              If one of the ladyboy bars is oppresive then all the bars in Nana must be (ladyboys or not).

And some of the ladyboy bars have petite looking ones that look nothing like a bloke werewolf.
              Not that I think you€™ll be checking out.

Thanks for the heads up regarding Angel bar on soi 22.
              I will check it out.
              No honey, no money!!

Comment

Yeah i saw that. Wonder if he is a bm?

Comment

of course he's going to write from a macho pont of view, but there is no such thing as bad publicity, that's how I got here, great forum and I never knew it existed before

Comment

I think i remember this guy - I was in the bar and thought it kinda strange he went outside and chatted with Pang for ages and then she came back in alone. Did not real give it a second thought until I read this article. Probably one of the more savvy ladyboys to talk to, but certainly not one of the most photogenic I would think.

Cheers
                    Mardhi

Comment

I don't think guy is even a journalist.. It's just a blog.... This is what he say for those who hasn't looked at it.....
                      This is a quick summation of the blog and some links to get u started. We wanted to create a Bangkok Nightlife blog with a twist - we wanted to keep u up to date on what is happening and what we are actually doing. Along with our friends and those readers who choose to send us an email or 2 giving us an insight into their exploits and experiences. We also wanted to share our views of what it is like to not only enjoy Bangkok nightlife but actually partake in creating it since we also run bars in Bangkok. Makes our dear moms proud - not really since they don€™t know we have bars in Bangkok.
                      So many Ladyboys so little time..

Comment

I liked the article. He was writing for an audience that never ventures into the world of ladyboys. We all live it, try to understand them as well as each other and ourselves. Realize the majority of folks view this as weird and he actually tried to humanize the ladyboy scene. Bang comes across as just a normal person try to make her way in the world and he doesn't mock her. Kudos.

It's not a sociological study with a representative sample, it's just some guy that ventured in to unknown territory and whose final conclusion is that ladyboys are not some alien life form but just everyday people. Ok, for some of you, that may not be the case, but that's what the writer was looking for and found.

Comment

dommy 6,
                          is that a photo of Pang?

thanks.

Comment

pang looks nice as for the so called journo,
                            just a sex tourist looking for hot fun

Comment

(thaibound @ Feb. 02 2008,07:44) dommy 6,
                              is that a photo of Pang?

thanks.
                              Yep. This pic was part of the article and assumed taken at the time of the interveiw.

http://www.2thebigmango.com/reader-....-nutter

Just scroll down.

Comment

The interview wasn't bad nor was it good or really anything out of the ordinary either, apart from talking about LB's which is always good ha. It was just a very very plain and typical oh lets go an invterview another LB workin in a bar = another standard story.
                                LadyboyHunter  

Comment

Working...
                                X