X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New crackdown

There seems to be a new crackdown going on.
    1am closings in Bangkok, 2am closing in Phuket, etc..
    And I just saw this article about a raid at Q Bar.

'Social order' cops raid night club

BANGKOK, Thailand (AP) - As part of the government's efforts to bring moral rectitude to a city famed for vice, Bangkok police raided a night club popular among foreigners early Sunday to perform urine tests and check passports, authorities said.
    More than 50 plainclothes and uniformed policemen, under orders of Interior Minister Pracha Maleenont, closed the American-owned Q Bar for the remainder of the night, stopped customers from leaving and administered urine tests on 373 people, said Sgt. Maj. Manote Panyatana.

Two people were found to have "purple urine," meaning that they had taken drugs, but police were performing further tests to see if they had taken illicit or prescription drugs, Manote said.

Of the 373 people tested, 104 didn't have passports with them, as required in Thailand, and were taken to a police station where they were fined and released, Manote said. He did not know the amount of the fine.

Anti-drugs and "social order" campaigns, begun by the government of Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra, have in recent years put a dent in Bangkok's reputation as an anything-goes city.

Most clubs and bars now close at 2 am, and spot check raids are common at night clubs throughout Bangkok.

"We do random checks at a different bar every Friday. It's by the orders of the police commander and policy of the government to be strict about drugs," Manote said.

"We did the raid last night because the minister requested it... he ordered us to arrest, and he's commanding, so we had to make the arrests," he said.

--

Snick

p.s. I always keep a copy of my passport w/ me. But this article doesn't make clear if a copy is good enough.
    "Snick, You Sperm Too Much" - Anon

Legally a copy is NOT good enough but since I moved here I have never ever been asked to show it, so I'll never be able to test that idea either, as it doesn't seem likely I ever will be asked!

In the experience of people I know and talk to a copy is fine unless they really want you bad,. Then they'll use it as an excuse.

Dunno why people hang out in those noisy shit-pits anyway! I'd much rather be round the local gas station where beer is about 20% of the price it is in expensive noise boxes masquerading as 'entertainment spots!'

Comment

I've been asked to show my passport a few times. Usually as ID to enter a "noisy shit-pit", but once my taxi got pulled over at at drunk driving checkpoint and they asked to see my ID. I showed them a copy and that was fine - they were all very polite about it.

Comment

Snick

Do these pisstest/ crackdowns happen in bars like KC3 or Cascades . You told me before but i canno remember the answer. please advise

I thought the idea was to attract tourists to the country but this tells me otherwise.Do they know where there bread is butterd, obviously not!.

Also thanks for the passport advice , i never knew this. The shit you have to put up with just to enjoy yourself .

Comment

only 2 people out of 373 tested positive for drugs in the Q-bar? they need to get better testing methods!

and yes, that place is a shithole...been there twice and how I got dragged in there the second time is still beyond me; I should've known better.

Comment

The raids rotate, and often target primarily Thai establishments.
            Nana has been raided a couple of times over the last year. They usually single out a bar or two and test all the girls. I think the other bars close when that happens, but not sure.

I have not heard of them cracking down on Patpong at all.

There has never been any special mention of Ladyboys.

Best advice is ALWAYS KEEP A COPY OF YOUR PASSPORT, most regular bars will insist on a passport (or copy) as proof of ID - no matter how obvious it is you are over 20.

If a cop stops you at a checkpoint or something, be as polite as possible, do not rush him. Attitude does NOT work in that situation. (don't try and bribe them either unless they ask for it-which has never happened to me).

Comment

my hands STILL  get clammy and wet when I think about the time me and Nan got patted down and frisked  and generally hassled for 20 minutes by 2 very mean cops 3 years ago just because we were in an alley behind Khoa San road chatting. [OK, we may have been doing something else too].  Since that night I am a good boy whenever I go out in Thailand and since Snick started reminding me around January I always carry a passport copy in my back pocket.

Comment

Originally posted by
                most regular bars will insist on a passport (or copy) as proof of ID - no matter how obvious it is you are over 20.
                I have never been to a regular bar in three years living here!

Spot on about attitude with cops - I have never had a serious problem with cops in Thailand. And the only people who have problems are people who do stupid things!

Leave your attitude in your home country or you are fucked!

Comment

The Q-Bar is the coolest spot in town and maybe one of the coolest on this planet. Full of chicks (gg's mainly, but even I got tempted in there...) , exceptional good drinks (never put anything else than Bombay or Tanqueray in my Martini!) and a great DJ line-up. Comparable to London or NY. Those guys do a sensational good job there.
                  To piss-off the people in there with those bloody piss-testes shows once again, that Fucksin and his boy scout asshole Pracha are nothing else than xenophobic fascists and obviously don't know that their own sons (Thaksins son used to go there a lot a few years ago) frequent these places. But they also love to do raids at the gay spots (even the saunas like the Babylon) or at Nana, as Snick said. Actually I never heard of raids at Patpong, seems that those guys pay more to the police.
                  But Stogie is right:
                  1. If get's tough, a passport copy is not enough.
                  2. I never heard of raids at a gas station ....

MK
                  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEdXtf-GHvU

Comment

Cruised a few bars with the lovely Natalie last night including the Q Bar which had good music and a fair amount of GG talent on display. Miss the Ministry of Sound though...

Needed my passport just about everywhere we went - don't know if a copy would have sufficed - but saw some Europeans not getting passage w/o a document of some sort.

Comment

this thread proves once again that we all have different tastes  and attitudes towards girls, sports, politics, and especially bars and music.  I have been in both the Q-bar and the  Ministry of Sound and couldn't hit the exit signs fast enough; over-crowded shitholes with trendy euro-trash and lousy music that all sounds the same to me and at volume 12.

give me a heavy metal bar on Khoa San road any day of the week with 100 other unshaven like-minded people in shorts and tank tops and I am a happy lad. and yes, bring your passport or a copy even if you do that; they check them heavily on my favorite street.

Comment

While I though MOS was Great, but hate Q-Bar.

Comment

Working...
                        X