X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bargaining... why do I do it?

I always bargain the lbs down to 1000 baht. Why do I do it? I'm not THAT poor that an extra 500 or 1000 baht is gonna kill me. But I feel the need to get it down to 1000, and do it every time.

As alluded to above, it is definitely not a purely pecuniary concern. I think that, since moving to LOS, it has actually replaced my technique of flirting. In flirting with a chick, or hitting on her, the guy is trying to get the absolute best outcome-- to come home with him. It's inherently 'cooler' if you get a girl begging for your shit, rather than you having to shell out big money for dinners, drinks, etc... We probably all have those friends who won't give the girl the time of day, treat her like he doesn't care, doesn't spend a dime on her, but still gets her into bed-- the 'ladies man'... and we look up to him, saying 'Damn, you are a fucking pimp.' I suspect it's my desire to be like him that makes me bargain.

In the back of my mind, in my subconscious, I in some way feel that if I can get her to go with me for less than her usual rate, she must want me more than her usual customer. This makes me feel desirable. I feel like, if she will go with 'Random fat old bald farang' for 1500, and I get her to go for 1000, I am 500 baht more attractive/desirable than him-- it's a competitive thing.

Please note that I am well aware that these thoughts are utter, compete untrue bullshit, but it's a subconscious thing. I know more than anyone that they are making an economic decision, but these thoughts still prevail somewhere deep inside me.

Anyone care to comment?

I always whack them down on price. I am so tight. I tell them im poor but i like them.
    1500 CANNOT!!!!!!!!!

1000 CANNOT!!!!!!!

500? OK

Comment

Brilliant post and thread idea, Surropan...

Let me collect my wits about me and think of a good answer for you.

Comment

As they say...When in Rome do what Romans do...
        TIT..and the money is number 1...and no Thai going to respect you for paying the top money...
        I do the same thing most of the time..If they are good they will get the tip..
        My last trip I met this American guy who payed 3000bt for ST to a LB..and when I told him he payed to much he says.. I got lots sooo .....What a
        So many Ladyboys so little time..

Comment

When in Rome do what Romans do...
          Well, it's more complicated than that. Way more complicated...

It's really a matter of what you want and how bad you want it and how long you are prepared to wait for it!

My chum in Pattaya gets fine LBs to live with him for free... another one pays 500 long time and they are lining up to be with him.

I'm a savvy shopper so I pay good rates but more than the locals do. Then again I live here too, so I pay less than most tourists do.

Then there is my 'comfort level' of payment... This is very complicated and also very personal to me.

Those rates change for Bangkok - but so do my demands...

For us 'Romans' who live here it's actually easier, more fulfilling and better value to just have them move in for a while and then they just drift off when the crush is over.

I personally like to offer a generous and fair amount up front and insist that they know what they are getting into.

The rules are too much for many LBs and they won't be interested... I come three times, you say all night, you turn mobile OFF... and on it goes...

But when it does work I usually have a great time and have the same LB over for a long time. I'll pay bar fines and cabs of course but that's about it. If they want more money then they can find more customers.

Comment

In the back of my mind, in my subconscious, I in some way feel that if I can get her to go with me for less than her usual rate, she must want me more than her usual customer.  This makes me feel desirable.  I feel like, if she will go with 'Random fat old bald farang' for 1500, and I get her to go for 1000, I am 500 baht more attractive/desirable than him-- it's a competitive thing.  
            Classic post and crucial, too.

Of course the reality is that we can't all look like that bastard Titleist and have them swooning at our feet... but even so it's nice to sometimes feel the past glories of the chase when we actually were worth looking at!

I'm aware of my limitations and they won't be chasing me round the disco floor to offer me a freebie!

I sometimes draw some false comfort in thinking that they would rather shag a Thai guy but in reality they probably want to shag a farang who is 30 years younger than me, is in shape, has a full head of hair and actually enjoys going out at night!

I do what I can to minimize the revulsion for them.. I bathe, smell good, stay sober and don't smoke... but it's basically making the best of a bad deal... I'm 50 and they are 20...

It's about money!  

Comment

(69billy @ Nov. 14 2008,11:20) As they say...When in Rome do what Romans do...
              Delicious 30 baht meals at Thai joints......

Cheap beer and good conversation at expat bars......

If I was butterflying I sure as hell wouldn't be paying tourist prices.

Comment

With the latest exchange rates hitting even the best of us it's a tactic which shouldn't result in hard feelings.

Even the LBs must feel the 'crunch', it's only fair

Comment

when your married to the pacific peso , you havent much of a choice . " handicapped and need special dispensation "

Comment

Very interesting post surropan

However, what about the flip side of that coin. We all know about the huge range of choice in LOS, wether you are Pattaya or Bangkok. But sometimes we can go to Nana, or wherever it may be, with a stringent idea in our heads of who or what exactly we want for that particular evening. When you find that one that specifically floats your boat, possibly after looking around all evening, and maybe even waving away a few beauties, how far are you willing to bargain?
                    At the end of the day it's a bit like buying a car, when you see your ideal model, you know you want, so bargaining can become very tame, to make sure you come away with the goods.

Just my tuppence worth.
                    A friend in need is a f**king pest

Comment

(surropan @ Nov. 15 2008,01:31)  I feel like, if she will go with 'Random fat old bald farang' for 1500, and I get her to go for 1000, I am 500 baht more attractive/desirable than him-- it's a competitive thing.  
                      Interesting point ......

I've a friend who claims he's never paid a Thai bargirl for sex , of course it's bullshit , I've given up arguing with him over it but he's happy trying to convince himself that he is picking them up solely because of his looks .

Why ? Because he needs to believe it .

On bargaining , it all depends who it is and when it is , I would say we all have more scope with some Soi 6 stinker from Pattaya than some Bangkok stunner .

Then again you never know , I once got a freebee from a Bangkok stunner (must have been my lucky day )
                      And I also paid over the odds with an uglybug from Pattaya , some you win some you lose .

I wonder how many of us will start bargaining more, not for our ego's but because of the current economic situation  
                      Free your mind and your ass will follow .

Comment

A few people have come here or logged on to the chat insisting that they get LBs for free because they are great.

Let 'em believe what they want. They are only fooling themselves. And if they feel good by trying to make others feel bad, oh well... you gotta believe in something, right?

Young people (and some older ones too!) are likely to have a competitive edge to them. They hate to lose or be seen to lose and their egos need constant food which only they can provide as the real world won't do it.

I've lost count of the amount of people here who have measured themselves by how much they paid or whether they were first to snag her off the bus or other meaningless yardsticks.

It's fun to listen to, though!

Comment

It isn't just our own egos that get to compete on the LOS playing fields,

the bargirls themselves can develop huge egos. Add to that the "loss of face" they feel accutely if they are snubbed, it can be a volatile environment we find ourselves in.

Witness the tensions on display every night at JennyStarBar where no girl can afford to waste time on a farang in case he snubs them, or worse,

grab another girl while he chats to the first. To stand in the bar arguing over the price of a ST is guaranteed to not get a discount.

We will all do better if we understand the girls situation - they are selling & we are buying, it is the demands of competing egos that can make it so difficult.
                          Despite the high cost of living, it continues to be popular.

Comment

(jimslim @ Nov. 15 2008,06:10) ....but he's happy trying to convince himself that he is picking them up solely because of his looks .

Why ? Because he needs to believe it .
                            Good point Jim!

Some people manage to have buckets of self-confidence, naturally ingrown or by self-convintion, and they succeed in many fields because of that, not just with women. We are not all the same.

Me..especially in this period..need to go to self-confidence fountain and trying to slurp any drop of the miraculous water..I badly need it

Have had better days in the past and particularly in some occasions (full moon perhaps?) I could score almost any woman (included pros) I wanted to. It was coming out effortelessy..can't explain why.

Nowadays..well..
                            Do only what you think it's good for you, and not what others think should be good for you!

Comment

(sukhumvitpoler @ Nov. 14 2008,20:10) 1500 CANNOT!!!!!!!!!

1000 CANNOT!!!!!!!

500? OK
                              1500 - nah, take 2k!!
                              seriously pig headed,arrogant,double standard smart ass poster!

Comment

Working...
                              X