Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Homophobic' joke about transsexuals...

Tory councillor quizzed by police after making 'homophobic' joke about transsexuals!

Light-hearted: Councillor Yardley said he didn't realise there was a transgender person in the room when he made the joke. He thought he was just making a humorous remark.

But not everyone saw the funny side to Conservative councilor Jonathan Yardley's suggestion at a police liaison meeting that transsexuals could call themselves both male and female.

Unbeknown to him, a transgendered person was among the 50 members of the public present, and a complaint - thought to have been made by the person's partner - was later recieved by police about Mr Yardley's 'homophobic' comment.

It resulted, claims Mr Yardley, in him being 'put through the mill' by officers and told to be more careful what he jokes about.

Today Mr Yardley, 48, said: 'I find it ridiculous you can get in trouble over an off the cuff remark with no malice intended. I didn't even know there was a transgendered person there.

'There are much more important issues that the police should be spending their time on. These are the politically correct times we live in, you can't make jokes any more.'

At the meeting which landed him in hot water the public had been given handsets allowing them to electronically answer 36 questions that were being flashed up on screen as part of a presentation.

The first few questions, as is usual at the quarterly meetings in Wolverhampton chaired by Mr Yardley, the city council's Cabinet Member for Neighbourhoods and Community Safety, were intended to establish the demographic of the audience.

The audience was told by a police authority worker: 'Let's start with an easy question to get us going: Press A if you're male or B if you're female'. The transgender person's partner then asked: 'What if you're transgendered?', and Mr Yardley said: 'You could press A and B together.'

He says his remark raised a laugh and the meeting carried on. But afterwards it emerged the transgendered person, who has not been named, was left feeling 'uncomfortable', prompting the police to give Mr Yardley a talking to.

He was not arrested, but was spoken to by officers during another meeting he had with police a couple of weeks later as a part of his council role, police sources say.

Mr Yardley, a married father of one, said: 'I went to meet with a sergeant and an inspector who told me what I said could be homophobic and started giving me advice on what sort of humour I should engage in.

'They put me through the mill and asked me to confirm what I'd said and told me that a complaint had been made and I could be prosecuted. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry.

'I've been trying to get more police into my ward, Tettenhall Regis, where there are the usual problems of anti-social youths, burglary and car crime. It just adds to my frustration that the police have to deal with petty complaints like jokes.

'I blame the Government for all the edicts they send out which seem to stop the police doing their real job and involve them in bureaucracy. Any innocuous remark now has to be investigated.'

Chief Superintendent Richard Green, Head of Police in Wolverhampton West, said: 'We met with Councillor Yardley for a short discussion, at which various policing issues were discussed. One of the many issues that were informally discussed included the matter he now refers to.

'At the time he thanked the officers for discussing the matter with him and the appropriate and proportionate way that they dealt with the matter.'

A West Midlands Police spokesman added that they do not agree with Mr Yardley's assertion that his remark was met with general amusement.

The spokesman added: 'West Midlands Police would not wish the public to be left with the impression that this matter occupied a large amount of Police time, as the contrary is true. We spend our time successfully tackling crime, anti-social behaviour and arresting criminals, as the public quite rightly expects us to.'
    Attached Files
    He made a serious mistake.
    0%
    He made a mistake.
    0%
    He made an error of judgement.
    0%
    A fuss about nothing.
    0%
    FFS. What happened to the UK?
    0%
    My answer isn't on the list of options.
    0%

Somehow I'm left feeling that the police 'talked' to the wrong person.
    They should have told the 'partner' of the transgendered person to get a life.    

I've had long term relationships with transgendered persons for most of the last 7 years  -  as has Stogie.
    If they or I had heard the same joke in the same context we would have had a good laugh.

Political correctness in my opinion is socially devisive and causes far more problems than it solves.
    A sense of humour is a far better antidote to those who really are anti-social  -  and at the end of the day is less stressful for everyone.

I'm left trying to work out how a remark that was allegedly directed at transsexuals was homophobic?      
    Obviolusly I missed out on the political correctness lessons that involved gross misuse of the English language.

Finally this is yet another example of the complete and utter waste of police time that this tripe involves.

RR.
    Pedants rule, OK. Or more precisely, exhibit certain of the conventional trappings of leadership.

"I love the smell of ladyboy in the morning."
    Kahuna

Comment

I don't think there was any particular malice behind his comments either. It's just another overblown mistake someone made, a la Barack Obama's comments on the Special Olympics a few weeks ago.

Comment

My first impression is, that the authorities haven't made any mistakes in this matter, after the complaint was lodged.

About the political correctness that's involved:
        Any individual who has to deal with this complaint, is subject to the possibility of losing position (and thereby money),
        in the long term, if this complaint is dealt with, in a manner that later can be criticised.

At the end of the day, I would rather live in UK, than Saudi Arabia.
        With the added bonus of spending weekends travelling to meet the ladyboy bricklayers of Dublin.
        "I don´t know what to do. Losing sleep. Kicked from a chatroom on a board about worshipping young transsexual prostitutes.
        I´ve my fair share of disapointments and hardtimes in my life, but this....."

Comment

I laughed!
          No honey, no money!!

Comment

anyone else feeling bad about them calling the joke homophobic?

just after columnist Savage love confirmed LB lovers are not homos?

Comment

I liked option 5 the best FFS,
              i love t-girls

Comment

A big fuss about nothing as usual. The more i think about it, the answer he gave was quite logical!

Where does the homophobic part come in to it?
                i'm going where the sun keeps shining.................

Comment

(bigmick22 @ Mar. 31 2009,14:46) I laughed!
                  Me too , and to get a Tory councillor with a sense of humour must be a pretty rare thing

People go out of their way to be offended nowdays (Usually in the hope of financial reward ) making the job harder for the genuine with a real grievance .
                  Free your mind and your ass will follow .

Comment

People in the UK need to get a life- David Jason has had to make a crawling apology over a joke he made on the radio the other day. Again we hear ' I didn't realise it WAS offensive'. People are getting far too sensitive over nothing, remember when Prince Harry got in trouble for using the word 'Paki' yet Samuel L Jackson can use the word 'Nigger' 20 times in a movie and its OK!

I concur that this was a complete waste of police time and effort, especially as it involve a Sgt AND an Insp! But maybe they're a couple now so it wasn't an issue!
                    I couldn't give a shit how long it is until you're next holiday- I live here

Comment

When the complainer (partner) called they should have been told to stop wasting police time and go away... Im all for protecting peoples rights and lives but this is just stupid and should be treated as such....

Comment

This story would make any lapsed right wing Fascist come out of retirement....dreadfull...

London
                        Some cunt phoned the Police last week due to some Kids shouting racial abuse at school...they could not arrest anyone as they were all under 7 years old..

Comment

hang the f**ker

Comment

Working...
                          X