Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes I did mean under 18  -  I've corrected it  - Thanks.

I really prefer to refer to the law and only to the law, which, at the end of the day, is the only reference in court, and even a judge cannot just laugh off a law - they can bend it, they can abuse it, they can sometimes circumvent it, but they can't ignore it.
    Yes I agree  -  but are we reading the law as it is written or a poor translation from Thai into English?   No I don't know the answer to that one.  
    My experience of translating Thai into English and visa-a-versa is that it's not easy and even an apparently simple phrase can end up with more than one interpretation.

I appreciate your argument about the public places  -  British courts have been arguing what a public place is for centuries.
    My argument is that the Thai police will use thier own interpretation and I suspect it will vary depending on how much tea money they need or which minister has just been appointed.

The section defining prostitution actually states (Sect.4);-  in a promiscuous manner   -  as if doing it in a non-promiscuous manner even in a public place would be legal.
    I suspect that the translation from Thai into English may alter the meaning as we see it.
    Certainly Thai manners would consider the offering of sex outside certain conventions as promiscuous.
    Kissing in a public place is considered a promiscuous sexual act and until recently even in Bangkok would have earned you a fine.
    If you go up country it is still very rare to see people holding hands in public.
    On the other hand it maybe the phrase has survived from the 1960 act which was apparently based on United Nations Convention of 1950 which had the definition;-   'promiscuously rendering sexual services for remuneration'.

The Entertainment Places Act of 1966 (which has not been repealed) allows solicitation in certain licenced premises.
    No I can't justify or work that one out as it conflicted with the 1960 act and conflicts with the 1996 act!
    It was enacted when the US Military was using Thailand for R&R.

It's a good subject for a public debating session.      

Then about the laws of your country allowing it:
    Firstly, there will be no law ever stating what is allowed. you can interpret the absence of ban as an "ok"
    Secondly, these provisions about "sexual offenses committed abroad" are a recent fascistisation of US and some EU national laws.
    Yes that is the do-gooders in the UN and the moral majority in the USA trying to save us all.
    But like I said in the thread about Age of Consent it is something to bear in mind.
    Prosecutions have already taken place in the US and UK and I think also Australia.

As many of us know the operation of the law in Thailand appears to an outsider have more to do with vested interests than justice.

I have been stopped for speeding at 85km/h on a 100km/h road  -  this was in Khon Kaen.
    I had actually be baulked by a truck and it was still going faster than me as we approached the policemen  -  it was not stopped.
    Herself's comment;-  There is a festival in two days, they must be short of money.      Still it only cost 200 Baht.     TIT      

RR.
    Pedants rule, OK. Or more precisely, exhibit certain of the conventional trappings of leadership.

"I love the smell of ladyboy in the morning."
    Kahuna

Comment

Any chance we could get back to the issue of ongoing police crackdowns against prostitution and short time bars in Pattaya?
      Making newbie mistakes since 2009 so you don't have to

Comment

(manarak @ Oct. 13 2010,12:21) correct.

I have done very thorough research of Thailand's sex laws.

In short:
        - prostitution is not illegal in Thailand, if done discreetly (that's what the law says). This is open to interpretation, but we can assume that a guy and a girl coming together at a bar can be considered as being discrete.
        - the legal age for sex without proof of consent is 18.
        - the legal age for working is 18, although customers need to be 20 yo

- sex on a bar's premises is illegal, since this constitutes pimping, but the barfine system where the girl goes with the customer is ok.
        Almost everything in this post is false.

I can only assume that your "extensive research" was on ThaiVisa.com!
        SHEMALE.CENTER
        World's Greatest Tgirl Cam Site.

Comment

(Snick @ Oct. 13 2010,12:03) Pattaya One News reported that all the girls (and two very passable LB -ed) were over 18 and therefore legal.
          You would think that a media outlet would be better acquainted with the law... but TIT, eh?
          SHEMALE.CENTER
          World's Greatest Tgirl Cam Site.

Comment

What I found on Wikpedia.

I think the illuminating fact is that it is Illegal BUT tolerated and Controlled - quite a contradiction in terms.

The recent crackdown seems to be more to do with availability of ST rooms in Soi 6.

Thailand has an aptitude for making laws and then applying/interpreting them as they feel at the time.
            The fact that you have 2 police forces applying the law differently would not occur in a Western country.
            Pattaya police tolerate/control, Bangkok police enforce to the letter.

Wikpedia

Legal situation and history
            Prostitution had been illegal in Thailand[3] since 1960, when a law was passed under pressure from the United Nations. The government has instituted a system of monitoring sex workers in order to prevent their mistreatment and to control the spread of sexually transmitted diseases.[9] The 1960 Law was repealed by The Prevention and Suppression of Prostitution Act, B.E. 2539 (1996).

Thailand has an ancient, continuous tradition of legal texts, generally described under the heading of Dhammasattha literature (Thai pron., tam-ma-sat), wherein prostitution is variously defined, and universally banned. The era of traditional legal texts came to an end in the early 20th century, and the significance of these earlier texts on both the writ and spirit of modern legislation cannot be overlooked.[10]

The "Entertainment Places Act of 1966" is one of the modern laws regulating massage parlors, go-go bars, karaoke bars, bathhouses and similar establishments. Under this law such establishments are required to be licensed. The law does not expressedly permit prostitution, but allows for "service providers" and "bath service providers," differentiated from regular, non-sexual service staff.[11] For example, there are massage parlors where men come and look at women, who are sitting separated by a glass wall (known as a "fishbowl"), and may choose whom they want. The women go to a room where they bathe and massage the customers, but in reality may do much more than that.

The Prevention and Suppression of Prostitution Act, B.E. 2539 (1996) (the €œProstitution Law€), is the central legal framework prohibiting prostitution. The law defines prostitution as any act done to gratify the sexual desire of another in exchange for money or any other benefit, but only if it is done €œin a promiscuous manner€. The Prostitution Law does not define what exactly a €œpromiscuous manner€ constitutes, and the act of prostitution by itself is not outlawed anymore, while solicitation is. The crime of solicitation is vaguely defined.

A person soliciting the services of a prostitute is liable under the Prostitution Law if the solicitation is done €œopenly and shamelessly or causes a nuisance to the public€, the penalty being a fine of up to 1,000 baht.[11]

[edit] Legalization attempt
            In 2003, the Ministry of Justice considered legalizing prostitution as an official occupation with health benefits and taxable income and held a public discussion on the topic. Legalization and regulation was proposed as a means to increase tax revenue, reduce corruption, and improve the situation of the workers.[6] However, nothing further was done.

Comment

(deepthroat @ Oct. 15 2010,00:42) Any chance we could get back to the issue of ongoing police crackdowns against prostitution and short time bars in Pattaya?
              Is that what this thread is about?

The boys from Bangkok have been making trips to Pattaya for years - usualy about twice a year on average.
              Sometimes it makes the news sometimes it does not.

You can bet they will pick on the easy targets that have not or do not pay tea money.
              As one of the articles hints - once they have racked up a reasonable total of offenders and/or fines they will go back to bangkok to celebrate their success at making the streets safer.

Meanwhile the people who got busted for trying to make a living the only way they have will go back to struggling to make a living.

RR.
              Pedants rule, OK. Or more precisely, exhibit certain of the conventional trappings of leadership.

"I love the smell of ladyboy in the morning."
              Kahuna

Comment

(Bumpa STIKKA @ Oct. 15 2010,06:52)
                (manarak @ Oct. 13 2010,12:21) correct.

I have done very thorough research of Thailand's sex laws.

In short:
                - prostitution is not illegal in Thailand, if done discreetly (that's what the law says). This is open to interpretation, but we can assume that a guy and a girl coming together at a bar can be considered as being discrete.
                - the legal age for sex without proof of consent is 18.
                - the legal age for working is 18, although customers need to be 20 yo

- sex on a bar's premises is illegal, since this constitutes pimping, but the barfine system where the girl goes with the customer is ok.
                Almost everything in this post is false.

I can only assume that your "extensive research" was on ThaiVisa.com!
                do you feel any compel to prove what you're saying?

Comment

Dammit Manarak, CREATE YOUR OWN THREAD - move all this bullshit about whether prostitution is legal or not to a thread with a title about whether or not prostitution is legal.

Please stop cluttering up this thread with stuff not related to the topic.
                  Making newbie mistakes since 2009 so you don't have to

Comment

Hahahahahaha!!! Temper, temper, temper DT.

Comment

(deepthroat @ Oct. 15 2010,22:49) Dammit Manarak, CREATE YOUR OWN THREAD - move all this bullshit about whether prostitution is legal or not to a thread with a title about whether or not prostitution is legal.

Please stop cluttering up this thread with stuff not related to the topic.
                      LOL, ok, I would agree to move it to a thread where nobody will read it, but I'm not as mod and can't move anything except myself.

Comment

BiB from Bangkok make trips down here as well. Usually when there's a big wig or royal on the island. They kick up, raid the discos, make some money and fcuk off again. They are also scouting good deals for their bosses- rumour has it that 5 top cops from Bkk are investing in the new complex about to be built across the road from Tiger.
                        I couldn't give a shit how long it is until you're next holiday- I live here

Comment

Working...
                        X