• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bangkok Sidewalk Vendors Restricted to evenng/night

Here's an article from Bangkok Post, August 21, 2014

Vendors resist stall clearance orders
    Published: 21/08/2014 at 08:14 AM
    Newspaper section: News

Many stallholders are resisting City Hall's efforts to move them on as part of its efforts to clear pavements for pedestrians, even though officials claim the campaign is meeting with success.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]74632[/ATTACH]

Wanlop Suwandee, chief adviser to the Bangkok governor, second from left, leads an inspection on Sukhumvit Road as part of City Hall€™s policy to clear and keep order on the pavements in the capital. Somchai Poomlard

City Hall claims street vendors are cooperating with its requests they stay away during the day, though an inspection trip in which reporters took part suggests otherwise.

Wanlop Suwandee, chief adviser to the Bangkok governor, yesterday led a group of reporters and officials to inspect a 1.5km stretch of pavements between Ramkhamhaeng Soi 17 and Soi 65. A similar trip was also carried out on Tuesday.

He admitted that only around 30 of 207 shophouse operators along Ramkhamhaeng Road have carried out Bangkok Metropolitan Administration instructions to remove stalls which encroach on pavements, but said vendors have until tomorrow to comply with the orders.

"After the deadline, the pavements will be three to four metres wide, as they should be," Mr Wanlop said.

The adviser also led a team to inspect walkways along Sukhumvit Road and footpaths in Klong Toey and Watthana districts.

He said many street vendors in the three areas are carrying out the BMA's requests.

Municipal officials have been instructed to conduct regular visits to street-stall hot spots, to make sure the vendors continue to stay clear of the pavements.

The BMA has told street vendors they can only use the pavements to sell their products from 7pm until midnight.

Each vendor has been given a space measuring 1.5m by 1m.

A street vendor near Soi Nana on Sukhumvit Road said she had been selling clothes and DVDs on the pavement near Sukhumvit Soi 11 for more than 20 years.

The vendor, who asked not to be named, said she is willing to cooperate with the BMA's new trading hours.

However, she complained her business would be damaged by the BMA policy, since most shoppers visit during the daytime.

She argued most people who come to the area at night are diners, out for an evening meal.

She and other local vendors would petition the National Council for Peace and Order for help if the new trading hours damage their livelihoods.

Mr Wanlop said many vendors working along Sukhumvit Road have yet to remove stalls from pavements.

The BMA will send out formal requests to seek cooperation from the offending business operators that they remove the stalls, he said.

As of my latest visit in August, the sidewalk vendors on main Sukhumvit Road were opening only in the evening, while the sidewalks are free during the day. This had the effect of eliminating the drink/alco carts as there is no space for them, at night since the vendors are operating in those spaces now.

Some photos of the sidewalks on Sukhumvit Road follow - it's quite the contrast to a short while ago. Also I have some photos of the Bangkok Metropolitan Authority Officers who enforce the rules. Watch out as they also enforce the no littering rule and will scam many foreigners into paying a littering fine for tossing a cigarette butt.
    Attached Files

Click on the links below and discover how the Forums work
    Membership Levels
    The Rookie Thread
    New to The Ladyboy Forums? Introduce yourself!
    Old Members Must Reset Their Passwords

I don't know why they don't make a certain area for all those alco carts.
    I'm sure everyone has been dragged to them by a bar girl who is looking for extra comissions.
    I have had some good after hours fun at these carts tho.

bangkoknight11.jpg
    www.ladyboysthai.com

Comment

Things may change yet, the sidewalk vendors are petitioning as they say they have less business than opening during the day. There are also talks about building "zones" for sidewalk vendors so they could open during the day again. Ratchprasong was suggested as a trial zone, to see how well it works. It will probably be some time before they give it a try. The alco/drink carts won't be common until this is resolved.

There are still some side soi's that have the VW bars (down Soi 11) - but I've heard the BMA will shut them down as well.

Membership Levels
      The Rookie Thread

Comment

Sidewalk

Shame to see them go as they do add character to the whole scene but on the other hand it can be a pain in the ass getting form A to B especially when a push chair is in the way.

Prices are also very high IMO.

Comment

Here is are a couple of shots of the VW bars on Soi 11. They set up around 7:00 pm and go late into the night.
          Attached Files

Membership Levels
          The Rookie Thread

Comment

As mentioned the Bangkok Metropolitan By-Enforcement officers also will fine tourists for littering - but it is most often a "scam" for something like tossing a cigarette butt onto the ground or even into one of the drain gratings on the road.

Here is a photo warning of littering, so be aware and don't throw anything away onto the street, including cigarette butts or it could cost you around 1000 Baht.
            Attached Files

Membership Levels
            The Rookie Thread

Comment

Its a kinda keep the clean drive and freeing pedestrian path???

Comment

Yes girlyboy8, the idea was to clear up the sidewalk space. During the day, the sidewalks were reduced to less than 50% as all the sidewalk vendors had their tables/carts set up during the day. Another group would then set up in the evening and the last group would be for the nights.

The current situation is much as I described it - no sidewalk vendors (with tables) are allowed during the day - although I've seen a few wheeled carts selling food moving about, but usually these are cleared off by 9 am. Then from 9 am - 6 pm, the sidewalks are clear. At 6:00 pm the vendors and some sidewalk restaurants (DVDs, watches, etc), set up, then at 11:00 pm some of the alcocarts and sidewalk restaurants set up.

I would say there are less alcocarts now on main Sukhumvit. Down soi 11 there are still a few VW alco bars, but fewer than the past.

Membership Levels
                The Rookie Thread

Comment

Originally posted by rxpharm View Post
                  As mentioned the Bangkok Metropolitan By-Enforcement officers also will fine tourists for littering - but it is most often a "scam" for something like tossing a cigarette butt onto the ground or even into one of the drain gratings on the road.

Here is a photo warning of littering, so be aware and don't throw anything away onto the street, including cigarette butts or it could cost you around 1000 Baht.
                  Something I forgot to mention in my previous post was that these by-law enforcement officers were not present during my end of June visit. This is good, so it doesn't seem they are trawling for tourist littering fines like they were from my August 2014 visit.

Of course if they are around and you litter, you'll get fined, but they don't seem to be hanging around Sukhumvit as they were in August.

Membership Levels
                  The Rookie Thread

Comment

Something I forgot to mention in my previous post was that these by-law enforcement officers were not present during my end of June visit. This is good, so it doesn't seem they are trawling for tourist littering fines like they were from my August 2014 visit.

Of course if they are around and you litter, you'll get fined, but they don't seem to be hanging around Sukhumvit as they were in August.
                    They are probably busy hoarding water.

www.ladyboysthai.com

Comment

I concur

Yes, it's a scam. Notice that there are NO trash cans around. So where do you dump your cigarette butts? And trash? I have to ask the sidewalk vendors, and they are friendly enough to let you use their open plastic bags on the floor. Thai authorities are idiots.

++++++++++++++++++++

Comment

Working...
                      X