Collapse
X
Collapse
First Prev Next Last

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by (popdork @ June 09 2005,03:32)
    Ya, what is it about falangs who move to Thailand?  I've been in Bangkok for a year now, and its seems that every falang who lives there is full of shit.. Making up crazy lies to try to impress you and like the previous poster said, simply spouting shit.  Thank buddha I met JaiDee.. hahah.  He is (almost) normal. hahaha

Either way... Thailand is a great place.. I just wonder if it attracts rejects, or simply turns people into rejects... I suspect the former.
    Which makes one wonder which of your two catergories you fall under? Were you a reject when you arrived or did you become one after being there for a while?  

Comment

I wish we could revive a thread I started months ago about what you would need to live in LOS. First of all I will eventually be moving to Thailand. I truly believe thats where my future lies. Theres a lot of stuff I wont get into yet but I think you could do it fairly well on 80,000 baht/ month. Stay tuned.....I gotta go.

Comment

Originally posted by (Blue Ballz @ June 10 2005,04:18)
        I wish we could revive a thread I started months ago about what you would need to live in LOS.
        I think this is it....

http://www.asian-ts.com/cgi-bin....e+ballz

Comment

Thanks Bam! Some great tips from Stogie are in there!
          To get an idea about the costs for rent, pls check out those links:
          http://www.bangkokproperty.com/browse.php
          http://www.thaiapartment.com/

.... and for the guys with the big cash maybe this one
          http://www.theparkresidence.co.th/the_park.htm

MK
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEdXtf-GHvU

Comment

Lots (99%) of these guys are dreamers who have their heads up their asses. Most of the time they end up in shitty 4,000 baht/month rooms and roaming for 500 baht short times. If I have to live like that in LOS-forget it!!! Thats not for me. You need a plan and a nice chunk of change behind you and MOST IMPORTANTLY you cannot live like a tourist who is on holiday for two weeks and want to fuck everything that moves every night. Hell, even if I had unlimited ca$h, I would doubt I would do that. BE CAREFUL OUT THERE!!!

Comment

If you are really looking to 'drop out' have a look at

http://www.escapeartist.com/

As far as Thailand goes, its suitability for you will depend on your tastes and your resources

For example, I recall a conversation over beers some time ago with a few of the principals of this forum re:

"...What does it take to live well in Bangkok...?"

Our verdict - a discretionary income of 2500-3000 USD / month would allow

- a nice apartment in a decent area;
              - good food, normal living expenses (utilities, taxi etc), and monthly travel to renew your tourist visa;
              - a couple of trips home per year for family and sanity; and
              - entertainment costs (without being extravagant with as many GG and LB as you can handle once you learn 'local' customs and rates

Another example / alternative - investigate a much more sedate lifestyle in Chiang Mai, the second city of Thailand

Example - A good friend of mine rents a 4 br / 2500 sq ft house in a quiet gated subdivision off of Hang Dong Road - within 10 minutes from the airport and 15 minutes from town

Employed by a Thai company, he either works from his home office or commutes to the corporate office in BKK as required

His major expense is rent = 500 USD / mo + another 120 USD / mo for live-in housekeeper / cook / maid and gardener

Food, transport, country club dues, green fees, toys (a collection of road and dirt bikes + new Toyota double cab pickup recently purchased for under 25,000 USD) and entertainment expenses for a devoted Thai GG girlfriend are his only other monthly expenses

In his words"...an effortless existence...banking 75% of my paycheck...can't see myself ever going back..."

Admittedly, Chiang Mai is quiet compared to Bangkok - not a lot of 'working' girls, buy my friend never seems to have a problem finding good company when his girlfriend travels out of town

With a large university and a substantial LB population you will likely find no shortage of either GGs and LBs who would be happy to settle down with a nice falang boyfriend

Suggestion - decide what kind of lifestyle you want, do some homework on the web, and give yourself 4-6 weeks to come on over, become acclimatized to food, use of public transport, check out various neighborhoods, learn a bit of the culture and business practices, make some 'expat' friends, etc and see if this is the place for you

Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by (thick81 @ June 11 2005,19:49)
                another 120 USD / mo for live-in housekeeper / cook / maid and gardener
                A friend with priveleges?

Comment

9-->
                  Originally posted by (Blue Ballz @ June 10 2005,20[img
                  http://www.theladyboyforums.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wow.gif[/img]9)]Lots (99%) of these guys are dreamers who have their heads up their asses.  Most of the time they end up in shitty 4,000 baht/month rooms and roaming for 500 baht short times.  If I have to live like that in LOS-forget it!!!  Thats not for me.  You need a plan and a nice chunk of change behind you and MOST IMPORTANTLY you cannot live like a tourist who is on holiday for two weeks and want to fuck everything that moves every night.  Hell, even if I had unlimited ca$h, I would doubt I would do that.  BE CAREFUL OUT THERE!!!
                  This wouldn`t be my future plans to life in this kind.
                  You can`t do this from one day to the other. You need some time for the important finacial part and how to save.
                  In about 2 - 5 years I will move to a nice place in Thailand, but not to BKK. And will looking out for a nice apartment for to buy. Indeed it is different than for to stay in holiday there. And it wouldn`t be the sin of life for to f... everything you can find. Better is to find a honest partner.
                  Maybe find a small job which I like and were it is not important for to get lots of money. Only for to have some hours working daily and to be in contact with other and not getting stupid.  Try to be a part of this society and you feel to be welcome and can enjoy a comfortable and lucky life.
                  Djai jen jen si !

Comment

Originally posted by (Lefty @ June 09 2005,12:21)
                    Originally posted by (popdork @ June 09 2005,03:32)
                    Ya, what is it about falangs who move to Thailand?  I've been in Bangkok for a year now, and its seems that every falang who lives there is full of shit.. Making up crazy lies to try to impress you and like the previous poster said, simply spouting shit.  Thank buddha I met JaiDee.. hahah.  He is (almost) normal. hahaha

Either way... Thailand is a great place.. I just wonder if it attracts rejects, or simply turns people into rejects... I suspect the former.
                    Which makes one wonder which of your two catergories you fall under? Were you a reject when you arrived or did you become one after being there for a while?  
                    Hehe.. I suppose that is for others to decide.

I wasn't saying that those were the ONLY two categories of falangs that are in Thailand..

Heh.

Comment

CM is definitely an alternative if you like it a bit more remote. Absolutely nothing for me, but I have also a friend there and he lives in this really nice city for almost 10 years - with his Thai girlfriend! And that I would consider as the crucial part of living in Chiang Mai. You need a partner there otherwise it get's very quickly pretty boring. Absolutely nothing to do up there. Beside the very!!! reduced nightlife I'd just miss the infrastructure of a metropole like BKK. No culture, no social life, no shopping.....but most of all: no business! What'd you think you gonna do up there? Trying to get a single handicap can't be it....??
                      For me it's only BKK, no other place has it all!

MK
                      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEdXtf-GHvU

Comment

..if i was gonna live in Thailand it would definitely be in PHUKET..PERIOD.. there are more start-up business opportunities there i think because of the growing tourist trade & the property values will skyrocket in the next 5-10 yrs. This place is becoming the French Riviera of Southeast Asia without the FRENCH!     ..the area is more laid back than in BKK and the air is cleaner.. you can always visit BKK from here when you want & you wont get as tired of the lifestyle like you would in BKK..  it's another alternative to consider..

This aint no Gilligan's Island!  

Comment

Working...
                        X